place to stay in siquijor

no one

dos any one know of a cheap place to stay in siquijor

me and my gf will be there for about a week 

thanks 

also some good place to eat :)

thank you 

jtmwatchbiz

my wife was there about 2 months ago and she had a great time. she is out grocery shopping right now but when she gets back i will ask her about lodging and where to eat. i've never been there but from what she said it was great.

check back in a couple hours and i will update where she stayed and where to eat.

udonthani

the area with the best supply of cheaper accommodation is Siquijor town, and to a lesser extent around San Juan, 10km anticlockwise around the island.

In Siquijor town there is Das Traum Guesthouse, one of the best deals you will find anywhere in the Philippines. Fan rooms with cable tv start at 350, but the best one to go for is the slightly larger room though, which goes for 400. This is a nice place with large grounds also not far, a walk or only three minutes on a bike from a perfectly OK beach. Despite being close to the port, the water is clear and fine to swim in. Inexpensive motorbike hire is available right at Siquijor port. Around 250-300 per day.

there is also a Swiss owned place called the Swiss Inn or something like that, on the highway out of Siquijor town about 500m towards Larena. This serves quite good German/Swiss fare and snacks inexpensively and is a bit of a drinking hole for Filipinos on the weekends also. They have a really large aircon room which if you do not use the aircon costs 790. This is a really large room with sofas, big dining table, and so on. They also have 2 cheaper fan rooms there.

in San Juan there is JJ Backpackers where I never stayed but I assume they will have inexpensive rooms also.

in Larena too there is at least one budget place right in town, which I never checked out but I would imagine would be quite cheap.

in the stretch clockwise around the island from Larena through to Maria and Lazi there is a less good supply of really good value budget accommodation. Around here there are numerous lodges, where you can expect to pay a minimum of about 900 for a fan room, however it will be beach set and possibly beach facing.

Monsoon

What do you consider cheap?

Most of the 'action' (well, having other foreigners to chat with in the evening at beach resorts)  in Siquijor is along the beach in San Juan between banagays Palitan and Solangon mainly. Personally I would stay on that 'side' of the island. On Saturday (or it could be Friday, ask a local when you arrive) nights you can check out Czars place (San Juan) for a live band and good times. They also have cheap rooms there, but you are not on the beach. Des tram guest house (owner's name is Joy) is cheap I guess  - it is in Siq town. For me the point of going to Siq is staying on the beach though. Otherwise you might as well be anywhere else in the Philippines. 

What kind of food do you want?

Where I would eat: 

Danish Lagoon, Coral Cay, Eric the Vikings (only on Sunday for a smorgasbord he raises all his own animals that you'll be eating). Grab a beer in Castaways in San Juan and meet a lot of local expats living there. A bunch of great guys live along that stretch of beach that I described above. 

Rent yourself a motorbike (if you ride) or you will feel isolated. Trikes are available. Jeeps and buses are there but not very convenient especially if you leave Siq town or Larena. 

Locals (both expat and FIlipino) are very friendly and accommodating for the most part. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1

Wrye83

Coco Grove (it's coco something, can't remember the exact name) is nice but not all that cheap. I can't recall the exact prices but I thought they had some rooms around 2k and up. The food was just Ok there but the beach was pretty nice and had a nice little preserved area for snorkeling/diving. They also had boating activities like intertubing and such things.

Rent a scooter for a couple hundred pesos per day near the port.

I found some other resorts there that were around 500 per day but they were not airconditined.....still decent places though.

Problem I had was the lack of working ATMs on the island. Could have been fixed by now though.

Monsoon

in San Juan there is JJ Backpackers where I never stayed but I assume they will have inexpensive rooms also.

Rustic, sharing room with other backpacker types. Owners are well.... the only people on that stretch of beach who have a problem with everyone else who lives on that stretch of beach and have sued many of their neighbors over frivolous BS, lets leave it at that. 

udonthani

the food at the more expensive places like Coco Grove looks good, but is not cheap. Coco Grove can also be a bit of foreigner drinking hole. I had a good night out in there.

I did a bit of a recce of the places between Larena and Maria where the well known Kiwi Dive Resort is, and it seemed to me the pick of them was the Islander Paradise http://islandersparadisebeach.com/ clocked the menu and out of all the resort menus I looked at on Siquijor it stood out as being the best value, with the mains around the 150-200 mark which is what I think they should be even in the tourist 'beach' places. The Kiwi Dive Resort nearby and other similar places prices are up to and even above 100 pesos a dish more than that on average. 200-250 or even worse 250-300 is too much money to charge as far as I'm concerned, as these are only simple, basic meals like a curry on rice and so on - not anything special, and they are not worth much if any more than 200.

Wrye83

What do you consider cheap?

Most of the 'action' (well, having other foreigners to chat with in the evening at beach resorts)  in Siquijor is along the beach in San Juan between banagays Palitan and Solangon mainly. Personally I would stay on that 'side' of the island. On Saturday (or it could be Friday, ask a local when you arrive) nights you can check out Czars place (San Juan) for a live band and good times. They also have cheap rooms there, but you are not on the beach. Des tram guest house (owner's name is Joy) is cheap I guess  - it is in Siq town. For me the point of going to Siq is staying on the beach though. Otherwise you might as well be anywhere else in the Philippines. 

What kind of food do you want?

Where I would eat: 

Danish Lagoon, Coral Cay, Eric the Vikings (only on Sunday for a smorgasbord he raises all his own animals that you'll be eating). Grab a beer in Castaways in San Juan and meet a lot of local expats living there. A bunch of great guys live along that stretch of beach that I described above. 

Rent yourself a motorbike (if you ride) or you will feel isolated. Trikes are available. Jeeps and buses are there but not very convenient especially if you leave Siq town or Larena. 

Locals (both expat and FIlipino) are very friendly and accommodating for the most part. 

Good information. I would never even consider going to siquijor for "action" action. I'd go there to get away from foreigners and have a nice weekend with the girlfriend alone. I look for a resort that offers a bit of everything so I don't have to leave the compound.

no one

thank you guys 

very good info here 

i got some stuff to do in maria but i can just drive scooter there few times 

unless there is some cheap place near by 

im not going to spend much time where i will sleep so i dont care and i dont use aircon so fan is just fine 

thanks again :)

oh found this 

looks nice :)

http://www.dutchpickle.com/philippines/negros/das-traum-guest-house.html

Edited by no one

Monsoon

Good information. I would never even consider going to siquijor for "action" action. I'd go there to get away from foreigners and have a nice weekend with the girlfriend alone. I look for a resort that offers a bit of everything so I don't have to leave the compound.

The OP asked for a cheap place...  

"Action" in this sense was being pretty tongue in cheek. The foreigners who live on siquijor, for the most part, aren't like the ones you meet on Mango ave  in Cebu. They are family orientated and good company (for the most part). At least along that stretch that I suggested. They have developed a nice little community there - helping each other, and really going through life together - happy times, deaths, and so on. It would be my choice of places to live in the Philippines if i were a little closer to retirement, unfortunately at this stage in life I can't put up with the various inconveniences of doing so. 

udonthani

they were nice to me at Das Traum after I had my bike accident. I recuperated there for a few days as a 3 girl Filipina rescue squad came in from Bohol. The 400 room was big enough, with its two beds, to sleep all four of us.

bike is almost essential on Siquijor. You need to get hold of a good map, they have them at the Islander Paradise linked above. To save time there are numerous short cuts, from Siq town to Maria, or Siq town to even San Juan, as well as the obvious Siq town to Lazi. It takes much longer to just go around the island perimeter road.

I was quite surprised by the nightlife on Siquijor. I had expected it to be really dead, but I didn't get that impression at all. There are a couple of karaoke places near Larena port with hooker-type hostesses - near the main port is always the most likely place for these. Also videoke places that run late in Larena town. Had a wild night up the mountain too. How ever I got down, I will never know. Also there was an very busy Saturday night disco at Kaiser's bar just outside San Juan. There must have been 300 people there at least, with a live band and dancing. That is easily the biggest night spot I have seen on any island, much bigger than anything on Bantayan or the Roof Top hotel Saturday night disco on Camiguin in Mambajao.

• Like 1

Monsoon

Also there was an very busy Saturday night disco at Kaiser's bar just outside San Juan. 

Czar's....

Band  stuff is his hobby. His wife was the mayor of San Juan and is now the VM or Mayor again I think. They also have the major store in San Juan... 

Edited by Monsoon

Wrye83

The OP asked for a cheap place...  

"Action" in this sense was being pretty tongue in cheek. The foreigners who live on siquijor, for the most part, aren't like the ones you meet on Mango ave  in Cebu. They are family orientated and good company (for the most part). At least along that stretch that I suggested. They have developed a nice little community there - helping each other, and really going through life together - happy times, deaths, and so on. It would be my choice of places to live in the Philippines if i were a little closer to retirement, unfortunately at this stage in life I can't put up with the various inconveniences of doing so. 

I picked up on that and I understand the foreigners are different there. But when you live in Dumaguete sometimes you need to get away and not see any long noses for a couple days. Siquijor is a good place to disappear for a couple days and not be bothered. I'll be looking at some of these places mentioned myself as my experience there is limited to two trips.

Just stating my reasons for wanting to go there. No offense to the people who live there.

bluemoon

you might contact Bruce  , the owner of  Kiwi Dive Resort  next  to Islanders Paradise

he's  a member of this forum  (rbm)  and used to grant discounts  for  LinC  members.

Reynaldo

Nearest ATM is Larena.