Obtaining a 13a visa in a 3rd country

BossHog

I've been doing the balikbayan stamp shuffle for way too many years.

Think I'll apply for the 13a visa.

The thing is that I'm heading to another country (not my own) to work for a while and thought it might be easier to process this outside of the Philippines. Also, I understand there's no year-long probationary period if this visa is obtained abroad.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to accomplish this in a third country and roughly how long should I expect the process to last?

2. What documents should I take with me besides my passport and NSO marriage certificate?

If I need a NBI/FBI/police clearance which country do I need it from? The Philippines, the USA where I'm from, or from the country in which I apply for the visa?

3. Is a health check needed and, if so, should I have it done in the Phils or abroad?

4. Will either my wife or I, or both of us, be required to appear at the embassy in person or is it possible to do this via mail?

I usually stay in the Philippines for several years at a time and work abroad once in a while for 6-12 months or so. In my case would there be anydrawbacks to getting the 13a other than dealing with the application paperwork.

Thanks in advance.

ps. I tried the search function but didn't find a matching topic. Also, I've already looked at the embassy website which has no information on the13a (just the SRRV and quota visas) and they haven't responded to my emails.

ps. I tried the search function but didn't find a matching topic. Also, I've already looked at the embassy website which has no information on the13a (just the SRRV and quota visas) and they haven't responded to my emails.

I'm guessing your case is rare enough you'll not find much searching.

1. Is it possible to accomplish this in a third country and roughly how long should I expect the process to last?

Best I can say is I think so.  Email the embassy in advance.  If you're going to be there a while, I'd go ahead and try.  Nothing to lose.

2. What documents should I take with me besides my passport and NSO marriage certificate?

You probably need some US police clearance authenticated by one of our embassies.  They might ask for an NBI clearance since you've been here so long but as far as I know you can't get one outside the country so they couldn't really ask for that, could they? 

3. Is a health check needed and, if so, should I have it done in the Phils or abroad?

That gets done on arrival here.  Plan a few days in Cebu.

4. Will either my wife or I, or both of us, be required to appear at the embassy in person or is it possible to do this via mail?

I think only you need appear in person.  Her application for your 13A should be notarized.

I would get whatever info on requirements and time frame I could from the RP embassy where you're going.

I am pretty certain you will need a physical/medical exam prior to the visa being approved. As to where to get the exam, it probably could be done in the Philippines. As i recall, there were no particular restrictions on the location of the exam, just done by a licensed physician.

There is a verification of the medical exam done at time of entry. However, the visa approval is based upon the initial exam.

The police check does present an interesting dilemma. If you are from the USA then an FBI check should suffice. From what has been posted here, the process is cumbersome with the fingerprinting issues etc, but doable. Not sure about that. A local and NBI check before you depart would seem to cover the time spent here.

I haven't heard of interviews being required by the applicant or sponsor. Other members may enlighten you. I did not have to appear nor my wife, but that was a while back.

I recommend the 13a as a good option for a married expat. Once I completed the initial process, the only hassles have been the annual report and the five year renewal of ACR. The annual report is a non-event, just pay the fee and leave. The ACR renewal is a bit more cumbersome, but pretty straightforward.

I have not had the experience of getting departure clearance so others will need to advise on that process. However, with a 13a you do need to get a clearance before departing.

However, with a 13a you do need to get a clearance before departing.

At the airport.

These are a little old now but....

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/51309-how-to-obtain-13a-visa-while-in-the-usa/?hl=%2B13a+%2Babroad

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/51269-obtained-13a-visa-while-in-us-whats-next/?hl=%2B13a+%2Babroad

Edited by SkyMan