Warning: Your personal information is NOT safe even with banks

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Just be aware that there is no such thing as information/data privacy in the Philippines and Philippine companies are starting to take advantage of this full on! 

So I received a call tonight on my Philippine cell phone. It was a telemarketer in the Philippines. I continued the conversation because she called me by my complete, full name. Only the banks and government agencies I deal with in the Philippines have this information. None of the utilities (GLobe, Sky Cable, Meralco etc) have this info. I was very curious to know of her data source, and that is why I continued in the conversation. She said she was from some non-major bank, basically a lending company - but she used the word bank. 

She called wanting to know if I was interested in a personal cash loan. So  I excitedly told her in Tagalog that I am interested and asked her about the requirements and mechanics (You gotta use those key Filipino words for true authenticity). The whole time I'm wanting to get clues as to the source of her data. She let out clue #1, the address she had for me. Then she gave up another clue. SO now the field is very narrow. I gave her a bunch of bullshit and she told me I qualify for the biggest loan they give. So I said I wanted to meet with them to submit all the requirements but I need to make sure its not a scam, so I need to know how they were referred to me. This is a fair question especially in the Filipino culture. She said it was from their marketing department. Blah blah blah. So I told her, basically that unless I know which company I have an existing 'trusted' (yea right) relationship with, I won't go any further and Im so sorry. 

She is going to follow up with me tomorrow. I am 90% sure I know which company gave out my personal private details. And when I confirm it I am going to discontinue any further business with them, and I will also let everyone I know and who will listen to me about it. This is not information they obtained from some marketing list - this is information that is supposedly submitted in confidence to a major bank. It should not be sold to some usury laden scam organization. Who knows what other purposes they could use it for! 

• Like 3

Sounds like they are jumping on the band wagon too. When you read the so called "privacy statement" that banks and credit cards send to you from time to time, you find out it has nothing to to with privacy at all. It has everything to do with them letting you know that nothing is sacred and they will share your information with anyone they want and there isn't a frigg'n thing you can do about it. Like you say...there is some serious evil out there.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Sounds like they are jumping on the band wagon too. When you read the so called "privacy statement" that banks and credit cards send to you from time to time, you find out it has nothing to to with privacy at all. It has everything to do with them letting you know that nothing is sacred and they will share your information with anyone they want and there isn't a frigg'n thing you can do about it. Like you say...there is some serious evil out there.

You get a privacy statement from a Filipino bank? I've never been given one. If I had, I would have further standing in a lawsuit which I'm seriously considering filing. There are Filipino banking secrecy laws. I am pretty sure I have proof that one bank has broken them. 

Edited by Monsoon

You get a privacy statement from a Filipino bank? I've never been given one. If I had, I would have further standing in a lawsuit which I'm seriously considering filing. There are Filipino banking secrecy laws. I am pretty sure I have proof that one bank has broken them. 

Sorry mate, I was talking about banks here in the States. Sooner or later you should have known that the Philippines wouldn't be far behind in making a few bucks by selling your information to other companies. I can understand your frustrations when you think your personal information is just that "personal", but in these times when information is shared at an alarming rate, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Perhaps what we all need to do is confront them (just like you're going to do) and let them know we don't appreciate it at all. Good luck!

A long time ago, in a career far, far away I had occasion to deal with an individual selling mutual funds who consistently represented himself as working for a major UK bank. His company stationery was the same as the bank's (with some minor differences) and, when he spoke, he only ever used the common, short form of the bank's name. He had obviously worked for that bank and had left with a lot of information.

Even back then, the UK's regulatory environment was stronger than that of the Philippines today - but it didn't make any difference to this individual nor to the bank. 

Here, today in Canada, I often get calls from 3rd parties claiming to be acting on behalf of a company I have an account with. Sometimes it's true - often, it isn't. These companies have to be getting the information from somewhere.

It is hardly surprising that, in a country where laws and regulations are recognized only when they are advantageous, data privacy will be ignored in practice even if it is enshrined in some law.

My personal reaction to this is to ignore any overture to sell me goods and services. If I don't initiate the conversation, nothing is going to happen. There is still the risk that everyone and his brother has too much of my personal information. I don't see how I can make sure that only those organizations I deal with have it - so I choose not to worry about it and simply watch out for identity theft.

Lastly, the privacy statements of any organization and any "consent" forms you might sign in relation to personal data, need to be read carefully. Even the company I work for, which has no reason to use my information for anything other than the intended purpose, worded a consent form that would let them do anything with my information. (I changed the words on the one I signed).

I have a simple rule: If I want something, I will go out and look for it.

I never answer or respond to phone calls, emails, or letters etc trying to sell me something.

• Like 3

Sat in a rural bank one day waiting for my passbook. A customer asked the cashier how much I had in the bank.... and he told him. I cleared the account that day.

• Like 1

Just be aware that there is no such thing as information/data privacy in the Philippines and Philippine companies are starting to take advantage of this full on!

So I received a call tonight on my Philippine cell phone. It was a telemarketer in the Philippines. I continued the conversation because she called me by my complete, full name. Only the banks and government agencies I deal with in the Philippines have this information. None of the utilities (GLobe, Sky Cable, Meralco etc) have this info. I was very curious to know of her data source, and that is why I continued in the conversation. She said she was from some non-major bank, basically a lending company - but she used the word bank.

She called wanting to know if I was interested in a personal cash loan. So I excitedly told her in Tagalog that I am interested and asked her about the requirements and mechanics (You gotta use those key Filipino words for true authenticity). The whole time I'm wanting to get clues as to the source of her data. She let out clue #1, the address she had for me. Then she gave up another clue. SO now the field is very narrow. I gave her a bunch of bullshit and she told me I qualify for the biggest loan they give. So I said I wanted to meet with them to submit all the requirements but I need to make sure its not a scam, so I need to know how they were referred to me. This is a fair question especially in the Filipino culture. She said it was from their marketing department. Blah blah blah. So I told her, basically that unless I know which company I have an existing 'trusted' (yea right) relationship with, I won't go any further and Im so sorry.

She is going to follow up with me tomorrow. I am 90% sure I know which company gave out my personal private details. And when I confirm it I am going to discontinue any further business with them, and I will also let everyone I know and who will listen to me about it. This is not information they obtained from some marketing list - this is information that is supposedly submitted in confidence to a major bank. It should not be sold to some usury laden scam organization. Who knows what other purposes they could use it for! 

Hmm, I think someone once told me;

very easy:

Grin and bear it, work around it or leave...

Who was it that said that? ;)

Edited by Wrye83

Not sure what the inside jokes or comments are about. Why not send a personal message?

I am not at all surprised by the bank passing along personal information. In fact, the rural bank experience described above is probably a lot more typical.

I have found the experience of being casual with information to be a two-way street. In the branch where I do my banking, the clerks and staff will accept withdrawals as well as other transactions without me having to be present. In effect, they trust us and we trust them.

I know there are documents I signed when I first opened my accounts which provided some explanation as to what sort of personal info the bank could ask for and why. It looked like boilerplate crap intended to obfuscate the issue. Bottom line, they can use info I provide them as they wish.

I provide very little of to the bank. Of course, they know my bank balance and such. As to address and other details, it is what I choose to give them.

there is no such thing as information/data privacy in the Philippines

Do not rely on 'information/data privacy' anywhere. Be stupid- make a lot of mistakes and omissions.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Hmm, I think someone once told me;

Who was it that said that? ;)

Well, not nearly the same circumstance now is it. This isn't a government agency or a government requirement. It is a civil matter involving a contract between two parties. And there ARE laws in place in the Philippines that specifically cover banking secrecy. 

And yes the same three rules apply Because once I am positive, I will definately LEAVE my business relationship with them. 

She called wanting to know if I was interested in a personal cash loan. So  I excitedly told her in Tagalog that I am interested and asked her about the requirements and mechanics (You gotta use those key Filipino words for true authenticity). The whole time I'm wanting to get clues as to the source of her data. She let out clue #1, the address she had for me. Then she gave up another clue. SO now the field is very narrow. I gave her a bunch of bullshit and she told me I qualify for the biggest loan they give. So I said I wanted to meet with them to submit all the requirements but I need to make sure its not a scam, so I need to know how they were referred to me. This is a fair question especially in the Filipino culture. She said it was from their marketing department. Blah blah blah. So I told her, basically that unless I know which company I have an existing 'trusted' (yea right) relationship with, I won't go any further and Im so sorry. 

well sounds to me like megabank ousourced some stuff to a call centre

and maybe the call centre is being kinda proactive with the info that they have

I'm surprised that anyone believes their personal information is secret any more.  If you ever wrote it down anywhere, it is most likely available to someone who wants it badly enough.

Davaoeno

If you ever wrote it down anywhere, it is most likely available to someone who wants it badly enough.

i had my password tattooed on the inside of my bottom lip [ dont tell anyone !! ]

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Its really giving me that extra nudge I've been needing to get going on something I decided to do a while ago: move all my money out of Philippine banks and just bring in monthly expenses.

Im tired of having to know the branch manager to get anything done. I walked into a grocery store outlet of my bank in the US yesterday, out of state and sent an international wire. They treated me like I was an old friend. My life has become too fluid, Im rarely within range of my "home branch" of my Philippine banks when I need something. They arw such a hinderance to getting anything done.

Go to "my" branch and I get carte blanche. But im sick of having to play the Filipino game of name dropping and going over people's pay grades just to get basic shit done right and efficiently.