USA Qualifies for the World Cup

Guy60417

USA beat Mexico 2-0 and is now guaranteed a spot in next year’s World Cup in Brazil. The top three finishers in the Concacaf tournament go to Brazil; USA is currently first and cannot possibly finish lower than third.

The shocking thing is that there is now a very real chance that Mexico will not be in Brazil. Mexico is currently tied for fourth place with Panama, with very little chance of moving up to third. The fourth-place finisher gets one last chance – a playoff against New Zealand for one of the remaining World Cup positions.

Until recently, I (and a lot of people) thought that Mexico was set to be not just the dominant power in the region, but a major player on the world stage. They had a host of upcoming young stars (e.g., Giovanni dos Santos and Chicharito), they won the U-17 World Cup in 2007, they finished third in the 2011 U-20 World Cup, and they won the Olympic gold last year in London.

And now … pretty much a complete collapse this year. (To be fair, those young stars are still young, and still may develop into what was expected of them).

I love everything about Mexico, with two exceptions – they have crappy Mexican food, and I hate their soccer team. As you might imagine, I’m not unhappy at this moment.

USA beat Mexico 2-0 and is now guaranteed a spot in next year’s World Cup in Brazil. The top three finishers in the Concacaf tournament go to Brazil; USA is currently first and cannot possibly finish lower than third.

The shocking thing is that there is now a very real chance that Mexico will not be in Brazil. Mexico is currently tied for fourth place with Panama, with very little chance of moving up to third. The fourth-place finisher gets one last chance – a playoff against New Zealand for one of the remaining World Cup positions.

a playoff against New Zealand for one of the remaining World Cup positions.  

Is that like a booby prize or something?

Well done USA. They had several advantages going into that game - location, location, location! After seeing Mexico's performance, my money would be on New Zealand in that playoff...

Concacaf are lucky. In Europe you must finish top in a group of 6 and the second placers get to play off with each other with only half going through.

England's scrappy draw last night means their fate is in their own hands... or feet!

udonthani

USA have been a fairly formidable consistent mid-ranking soccer power for around 20 years. I am not surprised they have qualified for the finals. Given the lack of competition from other teams in the central and north American region (apart from Mexico who they are usually about equal to these days) they are nearly always a safe bet to qualify. I would like to see the USA improve still more too, in the years to come - there is certainly a lot of potential there to get even better.

on a side note, this is the first time the USA have qualified for a tournament held on the American continent since the last time it was held in Brazil in 1950 - when they beat England 1-0 in Belo Horizonte. That was the first real sign that England maybe were not the world beaters that they had often assumed themselves to be.

England had a good result last night away to Ukraine where they drew 0-0. But they are not home yet. They are in a closely contested group which they might not win to gain an automatic place.

Irish Republic, who qualify for the finals on occasion lost last night in their qualifying match and they now have practically zero chance of being there.

udonthani

Well done USA. They had several advantages going into that game - location, location, location! After seeing Mexico's performance, my money would be on New Zealand in that playoff...

I'm not so sure about that. New Zealand are not like Australia. They are drivel.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure about that. New Zealand are not like Australia. They are drivel.

Actually, I agree with you. I thought Mexico showed skill but no heart. USA tended towards the opposite with occasional lapses of concentration. Mexico needs to up its game.

udonthani

the way it is done now USA and Australia are two of the likeliest teams to qualify. Maybe not as likely as Germany, who always qualify but likelier than a lot of European teams who are basically better than they are.  England, France and Holland, who are all good teams can have a shocker and can sometimes not qualify for the World Cup, but especially Australia but also USA nearly always will.

AlooGobi

he way it is done now USA and Australia are two of the likeliest teams to qualify

I thought Australia had already qualified?

udonthani

I thought Australia had already qualified?

they have but not all that convincingly, and Japan topped the group. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%E2%80%93_AFC_Fourth_Round#Group_B

that doesn't matter much though as Australia do not have to try too hard to qualify these days now they have changed the draw to favour them.

The most boring sport known to man. Only time it gets interesting is when a slight gust of wind knocks all the players over. (seriously, most of the falls about as believable as "professional wrestling")

I get more entertainment watching curling......watching paint dry is also slightly above "soccer".

The world should be happy that most Americans could care less about the sport. Would be about as predictable a basketballs in the Olympics.

We'll let the world think they are good at a sport for now. ;)

Edited by Wrye83
udonthani

apparently more Americans play soccer than in Brazil, Germany, England and Spain combined so I would not be so quick to say that Americans do not care about it.

• Like 1

apparently more Americans play soccer than in Brazil, Germany, England and Spain combined so I would not be so quick to say that Americans do not care about it.

More people speak English in China than in the US. Doesn't necessarily mean much of anything.

In order of professional sports popularity:

1. American Football

2. Baseball

3. Basketball

4. Hockey

5. Soccer

Now let's think about the business side of it. Which sports do you think gets money for developing players from businesses first?

Soccer is the sport best known in the US for the panzy kids who all get a medal for participation. (You suck, but thanks for trying). Everyone needs equal playing time, even little crossed eyed johnny who can't walk and chew gum at the same time. It's the sport you send your kid to when he was kicked off every other team he tried out for.

The 1994 World Cup, played in the US, drew 3.6 million attendees (about 69k per game). 

• Like 1
udonthani

1994 was the big breakthrough really. Since then the USA have qualified for every single World Cup. Not all that many Hispanics and the big pool of Euros in the US are especially interested in the top 4 of that list. I know it is a bit of an overstatement but they are a bit like sports rustbelt. A bit old fashioned, and not really going anywhere.