Inventory of foreigners

The PNP came around to my place, and to other local expats in Carcar, oh, late 2011, asking us to fill out information sheets, and getting copies of our passport data sheets. Nothing overly personal, as I recall, was asked for.

• Like 1
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hyaku

• Baywak

• Wrye83

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Until a little girl is murdered in your area and they come looking for you because another child saw a white guy do it. You are really naive if you think collection of expat's private information won

The police have always directed the gangs towards which houses to rob in certain areas of the Phils ....that supplements their poor salaries ...never give them any information about what is inside you

I'm not demanding privacy, I'm asking for a memorandum / law / authority that is requesting private information. Giving out this information to people out of uniform with no government ID is DANGEROUS

Skywalker

Unfortunately Paul, you were not on a motorcycle - you were there on the ground.  Dealing with reality.

Sometimes you can't just ride in the wind.

Unfortunately Paul, you were not on a motorcycle - you were there on the ground.  Dealing with reality.

Or the mystery of the one who hears questionnaire and immediately his mind flows in the air to all the sexpats,tax evaders and (this one really gets me)=seasonal scumbag tourists he knows.It seems you have a good eye for these things.

Although there are probably some "sexpats,tax evaders etc" I suspect that the vast majority of tourists and expats are not in those catagories.

In any case, Thailand deliberately allowed the sex tourism for many years, KNOWING that it would also create more facilities, and mean that many went back later with their families and friends.

Now, tourism is a major earner, and the vast majority are families.

But, this question specifically related to "foreigners" and one must assume that is residents and not tourists (most of whom stay in hotels), and so I wonder why they want such informaiton?

• Like 2

Here in Cambodia, the police require all hostels, hotels, guesthouses, etc., to get the names, nationalities, and passport numbers from everyone who stays at their respective businesses, every night. I honestly do not see why they worry with even doing it. I doubt anything is even checked by the officials who receive the daily lists.

I will admit, I am not crazy about the police just being able to go around and secure information on foreign nationals either. It isn't like they care what happens to us when we die, or anything of that nature.  

• Like 2
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Larry - They did this same thing about 5 years ago on that little island across the way from you. After pressing them further about it they claimed it was for 'emergency situations' so they would know who to notify etc if you died. 

I don't trust any list any government keeps. Surprisingly, they never came by place but they sure seemed to find every other non-Filipino on the island back then. 

• Like 2
miles-high

Just give them 500 pesos and throw it in the trash can... no?

Never heard of it in NCR, must be a local thing...

• Like 1

I can not speak for Paul but something tells me he did quite a bit of motorcycle riding around the Pinas.I remember one trip he made(I have made several times)from Nasipit to Davao on bike.Being you don't realize it-our butts are NOT glued to the seat of the Bike.LMAO
mabutiman

The police have always directed the gangs towards which houses to rob in certain areas of the Phils ....that supplements their poor salaries ...never give them any information about what is inside your house !!

• Like 7

A local woman had a shotgun registered to her 15 years ago. A foreigner who had originally paid for the gun sold it and left the country some 6 years ago. Last year they actually came looking for it. They seem to pursue things at a rather slow pace and records are lost. I see they actually have a computer now so things are looking up in way. But how secure is the computer?

I guess their laid back manner is not what we expect when we have had ties with the police in other countries and see a tighter standard. I'm already spinning with changes and incompetence from BOI and think, what the hell next?

• Like 1

The police have always directed the gangs towards which houses to rob in certain areas of the Phils ....that supplements their poor salaries ...never give them any information about what is inside your house !!

Lol, No one gets in or that matter wants to come in the gates with two GS trying to have a more "close encounter" My interviews are done outside. Its not usually the Filipino way to actually come in.

For the record, In my 10+ years in this area I have known personally several foreigners in the Dumaguete area who have been wrongfully accused and framed by the PNP, and have in the past had attempts to extort money from me by officers of the PNP. Frankly, I would rather give my info to members of the NPA, who I have also had occasion to have contact with, and has never asked me for a centavo.

Your mileage may vary, of course, according to your personal experiences.

Please do rant on!

• Like 4

I will give them factual info re passport copy and visa copy. 

Anything else will be respectfully and politely advised, yes but in the presence of the BID officers in THEIR office.

All else is off the radar unless of course it is a formal investigation on a specific event etc

But a mere fishing expedition is going to be down to confirming ID and Immigration status 

Edited by spooks
  • Like 1

I will give them factual info re passport copy and visa copy.

Anything else will be respectfully and politely advised, yes but in the presence of the BID officers in THEIR office.

All else is off the radar unless of course it is a formal investigation on a specific event etc

But a mere fishing expedition is going to be down to confirming ID and Immigration status

Well that's all they got from me last time. I could hope there are no new requirements. I could hope to win the lottery too.

My best encounter with police was going to see the mayor first. He called the police chief upstairs and told him what to do.

• Like 1