Cebu is a top resort destination in the Pacific

CCP

"The major "first world" country of Japan had 8.36 million in the same year."

And your point is?

Philippines need to be compared on a like for like basis within ASEAN.

I am not sure if Japan is heavy on targeting tourism or not, the Philippines most assuredly is.

As for the Tourism figures do not get carried away with that.

OFWs visiting home, Foreigners who live here are counted each time they come back in if on tourism visa, including the SRRV. Many Korean students use parents SRRV to gain multiple entry for learning English (parents have the visa but do not live here etc) 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brucewayne

• Wrye83

• Alan S

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was that written by the mayor of Cebu City?

It is a top destination for tourists - look at the number of Koreans and Japanese that arrive daily. They stay in 5-star resorts, enjoy the beaches, diving, good food etc. Look at the number of expats

I think that some here are being needleesly critical on the Philippines.   Yes, it has its drawbacks, but there is some superb scenery, some good beaches, some reasonable hotels, and lots of friendl

Posted Images

The Philippines is not tourist friendly.  That is a simple fact.  However, the fact that English is generally understood here means that there could be a shit load more tourists, but not until things change I guess.

• Like 1
Brucewayne

...... Shangri La's not a five star hotel?

I haven't been there, 3 star is as high as I have seen and since they don't feel like 3 star, I figured all of the stars were made up in the Cebu area.

...... Shangri La's not a five star hotel?

Go to the Shangri La in Dubai. THAT is a 5 star hotel. The service and food here makes a 5 star resort impossible. The 5 star resorts here would qualify as a 3 or 4 star in Dubai or the Caribbean.

• Like 1
Skywalker

Perhaps the reason most resorts are not particularly well run/managed is because, in order to keep these places affordable to the locals, as well as the holidaymakers, the level of salaries are not attractive to good managers, who can earn much better salaries outside the Republic.

Lets face it, the Country has a history of exporting good people.

If you want a Dubai standard 5 star resort - you better be ready to pay for it.  But is that why we are here, rather than in Dubai?

Headshot

Regardless of what the Philippines does, it will still be on the other side of the world from it's major tourist markets. Truthfully, most North Americans and Europeans have no interest in spending a day or more flying to a destination that, in reality, isn't any better than what they can find closer to home. When people in Western countries want to go to the tropics, they usually head for the Caribbean or South America. Why go to the far side of the world to do a little diving or sitting on the beach? If you want tropical slums, you still don't have to go to the Philippines. You can go to Haiti or the Dominican Republic or Jamaica. Pretty much anything you can find here, you can find there...even willing girls...if that's your thing.

The real tourist market for the Philippines is in East Asia (Japan, Korea and China). That is where the Philippines needs to concentrate its efforts. The fact that are still a lot of Westerners here is because of the US bases that used to be here. Many of us fell in love with the country a long time ago while stationed at or passing through those bases, but it just took us a while to get back.

• Like 1
Skywalker

if you actually walk outside of your 5 Star Resort, then you're back in the real 3rd world.

Many of the top "5 star" Worldwide destinations tend to be 'all-inclusive' which means that many people don't actually leave the resort.  Not that you have any experience with 5 star resorts of course, unless you have?  The reason I mentioned your income resources was simply because you brought them up previously, and I didn't get the distinct impression that 5 star resorts were on your particular menu.  Though that didn't stop you from making a comment.

This has already been mentioned in another thread, about holiday makers from Hong Kong visiting the (for instance)  Shangri La resort, and the simple reality, that they fly in and out, without bothering themselves with the local culture.

Which bit are you struggling with?

• Admin (Retired)

two members banned from this topic

that makes 4 banned from topic so far .. 

• Like 1

Perhaps the reason most resorts are not particularly well run/managed is because, in order to keep these places affordable to the locals, as well as the holidaymakers, the level of salaries are not attractive to good managers, who can earn much better salaries outside the Republic.

Lets face it, the Country has a history of exporting good people.

If you want a Dubai standard 5 star resort - you better be ready to pay for it.  But is that why we are here, rather than in Dubai?

The price is about the same at the Shangri La in Dubai. I don't stay in 5 star resorts here because the value is not there. The smaller resorts on smaller islands usually are a really good value.

The phrase that always comes to mind for me with Cebu is "wasted potential".  If they put serious effort into tourism, and not just making up generic catch phrases (its more fun in the Philippines) the tourism numbers would probably soar.

On my first trip here it was as a 3week tourist vacation....but also checking out if I might be able to live here long term. If I had come strictly for tourism I doubt I would have come back. My first impression was from the air...beautiful islands/sea! Then I got on the ground and got a closer look....literally piles of garbage on the side of the road, market stinks like sewage,  spaghetti wires everywhere, rusted barbed wire and broken glass on top of fences, etc.

If they put effort into fixing these issues I bet the tourism industry would do much better.  Some of it, like installing new sewage systems, widening roads, etc is hard to fix....others such as litter, isn't. But almost zero effort is made.  Even some resorts willingly leave litter laying around.

Tis a shame, and I wish they would make a serious effort to improve things.

People who say cebu is a top resort destination have obviously never visited for any extended period of time or have been paid off to say what they said.

• Like 1

A lot of people who go to resorts stay for two weeks and never leave the hotel/ resort/ whatever.

Under those circumstances one can see why their opinions may not be the same as those of someone who lives there, perhaps not in a luxurious area, travels around locally, etc.

I go to Moalboal twice a year and I have yet to meet a tourist who is there for the first time. Usually they are divers, but not all.

Ha! We have a saying. Nobody goes to Moalboal only twice! If you go twice you will always go back.

HeyMike

Ha! We have a saying. Nobody goes to Moalboal only twice! If you go twice you will always go back.

I here in Moalboal now for my bi-annual visit. Stopped by your place but you were already gone. The saying must be true.