Cebu is a top resort destination in the Pacific

CCP

Judging from the users avatar it seems as an advertisement for their business. ;)

Just placing an interesting article about the place I live and love mate. This is after all Living in Cebu forum! Plenty of my adds all over this forum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brucewayne

• Wrye83

• Alan S

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was that written by the mayor of Cebu City?

It is a top destination for tourists - look at the number of Koreans and Japanese that arrive daily. They stay in 5-star resorts, enjoy the beaches, diving, good food etc. Look at the number of expats

I think that some here are being needleesly critical on the Philippines.   Yes, it has its drawbacks, but there is some superb scenery, some good beaches, some reasonable hotels, and lots of friendl

Posted Images

I gotta agreed on the people here being very easy to get along with and helpful  ... Without them, my riding would be a lot shorter as I have to have help out there quite often and they are the only ones out there to help me often ... So without the built-in pit crew here, I'd stay out of lots of places without the other local riders here ...

This pic is of a family sitting around my bike after they had helped me get up to that point on the climb, was taken just last week .. I was leaving Camansi by going up a mountain spur on a very complex path system up there and got lost from my way and got hung a couple times and they pulled me through ... Its been like that for me ~every day that I have been on Cebu (3.5 yrs) .... For real, these guys really know how to grease the wheels for a foreigner ... But please remember, it is the 3rd world so be ready

attachicon.gif104_0005_2_opt.jpg

I also agree, been riding these mountain trails for years and if any of us was to fall and injure themselves 50 people would turn up from nowhere wanting to help 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Lets face it, other places in the region do a much better job at accommodating un-seasoned holiday makers. If you know the Philippines then you can easily get around. If you don't, it can be intimidating. Once the Philippines gets that problem fixed (i.e. the cluster*uck at airports / sea ports) then it will get more tourism. Thailand and Malaysia put the Philippines to shame in that respect. Heck even Cambodia has a voucher system in use at the Phnom Penh airport. I had no hassle three different airports in Vietnam either. 

I still get people trying to screw me at airports in the Philippines until I open my mouth and speak fluent Filipino to them. Sometimes they are wearing official uniforms! Like one time last year I arrived from somewhere (cant remember) into Manila and after clearing customs I approached the exit and some uniformed customs guy (over 50) asked me where I'm going. He wasn't doing any official investigation, he wanted to turn me over to a 'taxi' driver that he was in bed with. He looked quite surprised when I answered him in Tagalog as if he wasn't even there. 

Edited by Monsoon
HeyMike

I go to Moalboal twice a year and I have yet to meet a tourist who is there for the first time. Usually they are divers, but not all.

• Like 2

i think after landing at the airport and taking that taxi to anywhere you travel thru some questionable areas some look like a war zone i am sure that unnerves a few visitors  there can be some improvement on the streets leading from the airport 

Edited by smokey
Brucewayne

I enjoy Cebu more than most cities in this country. It is one of the first places I recommend to friends who are on a budget and like to party. I've heard there are some decent beaches near Cebu as well, not really my cup of tea though. Probably the best location to start in the Philippines as you are more centrally located to get to the more secluded areas for the adventurous travelers.

As far as being a top destination in Asia. Well, I think that depends on your budget. For your low to middle income person (especially Asians) the Philippines/Cebu is a great place. If you are loaded forget Asia and get your first class tickets to the Bahamas or any of the other Westernized islands that have true 5 star hotels/service and real WHITE powder sand (the stuff you NEED to pack the sunglasses or you'll go blind).....because quality, customer service and value simply doesn't exist here for the rich. They are totally clueless about how to cater to rich foreigners here. If I had more money I can tell ya I'd rather be in Hong Kong, Thailand, Indo or Malaysia any day.

A real Hillbilly paradise, than goodness I am a country boy or I wouldn't have made it a week here.

Brucewayne

You might want to check out travel sites like Trip Advisor etc, and find out for yourself.  I have not stayed in any of the 5 star hotels cuz I don't like (even if I can afford) spending 5 star prices for services I don't need.  Some of the top end hotels include, Shangrila Hotel-Mactan, Imperial Palace, Plantation Bay, Abaca (Boutique) all on Mactan, and few on the city side.  Alegre, Sumilon Blue Water etc.  I agree the stars don't mean anything, I usually just check travellers reviews on the hotel whether they deliver what they actually say on their websites. Same for other cities.

We have been to Plantation B and actually didn't have as much fun as we did at Estaca or Elsalvadore which are low cost resorts.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

i think after landing at the airport and taking that taxi to anywhere you travel thru some questionable areas some look like a war zone i am sure that unnerves a few visitors  there can be some improvement on the streets leading from the airport 

LOL. Reminds me of my first visit to the Philippines. I left the Cebu airport and boarded a taxi for Fuente. Shortly after leaving we were stopped in traffic and here comes a guy whose face is wrapped in a t-shirt. Of course he's just selling gum to jeepney drivers, but to me he looked like a muslim extremist or some kind of bandito covering his face. I'm not easily excited, but that is and will always be my first memory of arriving in the Philippines. Imagine being a family of 4 from Australia with no real previous travel experience looking for white sand beaches. 

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_the_Philippines

however nobody knows  if they count the balikbayans in

fact is  that many visit one time and never again

MORE FUN  IN THE  PHILIPPINES   ? ? ?

Shit Im sure they count everyone who checks the box marked "Holiday/Pleasure" on the immigration form which asks, "Main Purpose of Travel." It does not ask "Main Purpose of Travel to the Philippines."  IT can be easily misunderstood. In fact, what are they actually asking? Why are you visting the Philippines? Or what is the purpose of your travel? THey ask the same questiosn when you leave as well. So are they double counting? WHO KNOWS.

My wife's first instinct was always to check "Holiday/Pleasure" because all of her trips out of the Philippines are for tourism. I told her the correct box (when returning) is "balikbayan". Even though, she was never really a TRUE balikbayan. She was just gone on holiday. But the correct box when leaving is "Holiday / Pleasure" 

Statistics.

Edited by Monsoon

A real Hillbilly paradise, than goodness I am a country boy or I wouldn't have made it a week here.

Sorry mate, but it is a 2nd, some places even a 3rd, 4th or 5th rate tourism country. It is more designed for the lower income traveler/expat. There is a reason you don't see many expats driving around in Ferraris here.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Shit Im sure they count everyone who checks the box marked "Holiday/Pleasure" on the immigration form which asks, "Main Purpose of Travel." It does not ask "Main Purpose of Travel to the Philippines."  IT can be easily misunderstood. In fact, what are they actually asking? Why are you visting the Philippines? Or what is the purpose of your travel? THey ask the same questiosn when you leave as well. So are they double counting? WHO KNOWS.

My wife's first instinct was always to check "Holiday/Pleasure" because all of her trips out of the Philippines are for tourism. I told her the correct box (when returning) is "balikbayan". Even though, she was never really a TRUE balikbayan. She was just gone on holiday. But the correct box when leaving is "Holiday / Pleasure" 

Statistics.

i dont believe anybody will ever look at the immigration form you mention......  i rather think it goes to the basura, right after you got the stamp in your passport.   ....................... because nobody cares

Kabisay-an gid

The Philippines had over 4.27 million visitors in 2012, an all-time record:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_the_Philippines#Arrivals

The major "first world" country of Japan had 8.36 million in the same year.

Based on figures for the first six months of 2013, the Philippines looks like it will set another all-time record.

Who assigns the stars here?

The 3 star hotels I stayed in weren't as nice as a Motel ^ is in the states and I don't think they even have a star.

I will admit, Cebu might have a hotel or two tat would qualify as a 2-3 star hotel, but without some kind of proof, I doubt very seriously that Cebu has anything like a real 5 star hotel in the real world.

...... Shangri La's not a five star hotel?
Kabisay-an gid

The Shangri-La easily beats any U.S. 3-star hotel that I've ever seen or heard of:

Shangri-La-cebu-aerial-view.jpg

Cebu  used to be marketed as the "Island in the Pacific" so as not to associate it with Marcos Philippines