Cebu is a top resort destination in the Pacific

CCP

I be more impressed if they suppied figures for repeat tourists.  I understand that the drive to attract Russian tourism is failing as very few want to come back and make it well known at home as to why!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brucewayne

• Wrye83

• Alan S

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was that written by the mayor of Cebu City?

It is a top destination for tourists - look at the number of Koreans and Japanese that arrive daily. They stay in 5-star resorts, enjoy the beaches, diving, good food etc. Look at the number of expats

I think that some here are being needleesly critical on the Philippines.   Yes, it has its drawbacks, but there is some superb scenery, some good beaches, some reasonable hotels, and lots of friendl

Posted Images

I work in the industry and believe me, the numbers are not dropping.

As for Russians, they want good beaches where they can swim, decent food and drink, and lots of sunshine. If they get that, they will return.

AlooGobi

I be more impressed if they suppied figures for repeat tourists

Yep that would be interesting info,its ok for people to check the place out but,personally i cant think of too many reasons your average tourist would wish to return

I think that some here are being needleesly critical on the Philippines.

Yes, it has its drawbacks, but there is some superb scenery, some good beaches, some reasonable hotels, and lots of friendly people.

If you were there for just a couple of weeks and did the "tourist" things, preferably at 1st class level, (or back-packing)  then you would probably enjoy it.

Stay for longer and mix with more people, or actually live there, and the problems are more obvious.

• Like 4

I enjoy Cebu more than most cities in this country. It is one of the first places I recommend to friends who are on a budget and like to party. I've heard there are some decent beaches near Cebu as well, not really my cup of tea though. Probably the best location to start in the Philippines as you are more centrally located to get to the more secluded areas for the adventurous travelers.

As far as being a top destination in Asia. Well, I think that depends on your budget. For your low to middle income person (especially Asians) the Philippines/Cebu is a great place. If you are loaded forget Asia and get your first class tickets to the Bahamas or any of the other Westernized islands that have true 5 star hotels/service and real WHITE powder sand (the stuff you NEED to pack the sunglasses or you'll go blind).....because quality, customer service and value simply doesn't exist here for the rich. They are totally clueless about how to cater to rich foreigners here. If I had more money I can tell ya I'd rather be in Hong Kong, Thailand, Indo or Malaysia any day.

sandwindstars

Who assigns the stars here?

The 3 star hotels I stayed in weren't as nice as a Motel ^ is in the states and I don't think they even have a star.

I will admit, Cebu might have a hotel or two tat would qualify as a 2-3 star hotel, but without some kind of proof, I doubt very seriously that Cebu has anything like a real 5 star hotel in the real world.

You might want to check out travel sites like Trip Advisor etc, and find out for yourself.  I have not stayed in any of the 5 star hotels cuz I don't like (even if I can afford) spending 5 star prices for services I don't need.  Some of the top end hotels include, Shangrila Hotel-Mactan, Imperial Palace, Plantation Bay, Abaca (Boutique) all on Mactan, and few on the city side.  Alegre, Sumilon Blue Water etc.  I agree the stars don't mean anything, I usually just check travellers reviews on the hotel whether they deliver what they actually say on their websites. Same for other cities.

Edited by sandwindstars
sandwindstars

The Philippines had only 2 million tourists listed last year, pretty much the bottom of the list.

I read that an average Asian country draws about 22 million tourists per year.

If anyone wants something Googled to that effect, I will do so in the morning as I am dead tired right now.

Just as Canada has about 50 m tourists, cross border visitors, but only 4-5 m overseas visitors.  Japan is an archipelago and gets only less than 10 m tourists.  Malaysia has what, 25 m?  Half that from Singapore, and what other border countries.  Ukrainian likes to show off it has 25 m tourists, but I would say, 80% are Russians or other Euros crossing Ukraine by train.  The definition of "tourists" vary from country to country.  In Canada, they count overnight stays, not just day trippers.  It would be better if PH has more visitors, staying longer (average 2 weeks) than a lot of people staying less than a week or even just a day.

Edited by sandwindstars

Yes, it has its drawbacks, but there is some superb scenery, some good beaches, some reasonable hotels, and lots of friendly people.

If you were there for just a couple of weeks and did the "tourist" things, preferably at 1st class level, (or back-packing)  then you would probably enjoy it.

Stay for longer and mix with more people, or actually live there, and the problems are more obvious.

+1 A lot of people here forget that tourists are just on vacation and look at things differently. For the most part filipino are very welcoming hosts and go out of their way to be friendly and accommodating. Though they lack the resources, skills and/or knowledge to do it in a way we are accustomed to in the west. Most tourists I have spoken to give them an A for effort though. That doesn't always equate to a return visit though.

• Like 1

The Philippines had only 2 million tourists listed last year, pretty much the bottom of the list.

I read that an average Asian country draws about 22 million tourists per year.

If anyone wants something Googled to that effect, I will do so in the morning as I am dead tired right now.

look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_the_Philippines

however nobody knows  if they count the balikbayans in

fact is  that many visit one time and never again

MORE FUN  IN THE  PHILIPPINES   ? ? ?

Skywalker

or actually live there, and the problems are more obvious.

I absolutely agree with this statement.  I am still not convinced that Cebu (City) is necessarily geared to tourism (thankfully).  I came to live here, from one of the most popular Cities in SEA, and it wasn't as a tourist.

Living here is nothing like staying here, briefly, as a tourist.  And until you've actually lived here for at least a year, I don't consider those contributions viable.

As a resident of Cebu City, I can see that there is very little effort being made to attract tourists.  One of the biggest problems (in my view) is the popular belief that gun crime is a huge issue here.  There is also the misconception that the streets are not safe at night.  And then there is the sexploitation that goes on, giving the impression that this is a seedy, downmarket, badly policed, poorly administered destination, best avoided.

This means that the Country is seriously missing out on significant tourist income.  All I will say about that, is that some people don't want any change in the status quo.  As always education is the answer.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

It's like the first time someone came to the Philippines. You might have got off the plane, took a taxi to a 4 -5 star hotel. Spent most of your time in coitus non-intertruptus, except when you went out to eat at one of the mega malls. If you were only here a few days, you thought it was the greatest place on earth and not unlike home.

Cebu/Philippines just hasn't go the ability to provide a good travel service for people who don't want to travel by taxi.  How do you get from A to B here?  Guesswork/asking people is the answer.  In any Western country, you'd just check the website or there would be a sign/map on the wall of the transport hub.  Maps in the jeepney terminal near Ayala mall?  Zero.

Want to go from one place to another here?   Good luck.

+1 A lot of people here forget that tourists are just on vacation and look at things differently. For the most part filipino are very welcoming hosts and go out of their way to be friendly and accommodating. Though they lack the resources, skills and/or knowledge to do it in a way we are accustomed to in the west. Most tourists I have spoken to give them an A for effort though. That doesn't always equate to a return visit though.

I gotta agreed on the people here being very easy to get along with and helpful  ... Without them, my riding would be a lot shorter as I have to have help out there quite often and they are the only ones out there to help me often ... So without the built-in pit crew here, I'd stay out of lots of places without the other local riders here ...

This pic is of a family sitting around my bike after they had helped me get up to that point on the climb, was taken just last week .. I was leaving Camansi by going up a mountain spur on a very complex path system up there and got lost from my way and got hung a couple times and they pulled me through ... Its been like that for me ~every day that I have been on Cebu (3.5 yrs) .... For real, these guys really know how to grease the wheels for a foreigner ... But please remember, it is the 3rd world so be ready

post-15077-0-42144300-1378822810_thumb.jpg

Edited by Open_Ended
  • Like 1

I've got a lot of friends in Hong Kong who've been to Cebu on weekend packages.  What does Cebu mean to them? Fly in on the Cathay Friday evening flight and then straight to the resort - Shangri La is pretty highly regarded by them as is Plantation Bay.  A couple of days by the pool, chill out away from the crazy pace of Hong Kong.  Then Sunday or maybe Monday evening back on the 8pm CX flight to Hong Kong.  I've asked a lot of them if they've ever been into the city.  Answer is typically "no".  Maybe they go out island hopping but most don't.  For them it's just some downtime.  The only locals they meet are hotel staff and what they spend is just their food and drinks in the hotel.  

They come because it's relatively cheap, quick (just over two hours flying time), and convenient.  In fact, they could be anywhere in Asia almost.  Do they get any sense of what Cebu is like - no, not at all.  A lot of them don't believe me when I tell them there are great restaurants in the city, places to see, live music - plenty of touristy things.  The resorts want to keep their clients on-site which is good business after all.  When you think of that drive from say the Shangri La into the city (let's be generous and say it's only going to take 45-60 minutes), it's not likely to give a lot of visitors the feeling that the Cebu has so much to offer.  Then of course you've got to get back to the resort in the late evening and that's not always easy.  Yes, resort is the key word but not really Cebu.

• Like 1

That applies to a lot of places though.  Pretty much any port call in the Caribbean for example.