AC for whole house or just select rooms?

ILoveCyrus

Do you have AC for your whole house/condo/apartment.....?  Or do you just have AC in bedroom?

I'm living on several oscillating fans right now......... It's not too brutal, but man, AC would be nice (just not thrilled about the electric bill)

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

i'm in the states until i got our current house we always had window units for each room

we have central now but i still intend to get window units for the bedrooms at some time 

cheaper and if the big unit ever decides to go at least we have backup

• Like 1
Boss Ross

Do you have AC for your whole house/condo/apartment.....?  Or do you just have AC in bedroom?

I'm living on several oscillating fans right now......... It's not too brutal, but man, AC would be nice (just not thrilled about the electric bill)

We have 1 small window a/c in the bedroom. Initially used it at night and that evolved into an occasional afternoon nap. So it was about 11 hours of a/c. Found our electric bill too high and tried without the a/c for a couple months. Our electric bill went down P2,000-3,000 Only you know your budget. After nearly 2 years here I get by just fine with one fan. My body has adjusted quite a bit, with still more to go. Hope this helps you to make a sound decision. 

Edited by Boss Ross
  • Like 4
Brucewayne

If you want to save electricity, buy a dehumidifier, close the windows and put in a wall fan just above the dehumidifier.

The unit is a bit more expensive than AC is, but will pay for itself in less than a year.

Kabisay-an gid

Install ceiling fans. You can run them around the clock without using much electricity.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 2
Lordblacknail

Before we moved in July, we had a 2.5 hp split air con that we used to cool the living room only. The bedrooms all had doors that we kept closed and a curtain over the hallway door. Our electric bill was P8 to 12K per month. We used the AC from about ten am to five pm daily unless we were out. I thought we were paying way too much for electricity so when we moved, I sold it, got about half what I paid for it after two years. We got our first electric bill here, with no AC, but everything else the same. P6K. If I had known that the AC was only costing me P2K per month, I would not have sold it. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 3
Canuck Joe

friend runs 3 aircons...15,000 php a month on power...that's Insane!

smokey

some units are just more efficient to use....  we have trane units and each room has one in the ceilings i placed a fan close by to send the air down and spread it out the units range from 1 hp to 2 1/2  and there are 10 of them ... when the house was full  of people electric ran 15 to 20  a month with only a few people there its closer to 8 to  10 but such is life 

Kabisay-an gid

Before we moved in July, we had a 2.5 hp split air con that we used to cool the living room only. The bedrooms all had doors that we kept closed and a curtain over the hallway door. Our electric bill was P8 to 12K per month. We used the AC from about ten am to five pm daily unless we were out. I thought we were paying way too much for electricity so when we moved, I sold it, got about half what I paid for it after two years. We got our first electric bill here, with no AC, but everything else the same. P6K. If I had known that the AC was only costing me P2K per month, I would not have sold it. Your mileage may vary.

If my math is correct, the AC was costing you P6K in the months you had to pay P12K.

I assume there were months when the bill was more than P8K but less than P12K, so in those months you also would have been paying more than P2K extra per month for AC.

Of course, you'll get a better idea of your true savings in the new place, once you've been there a year and can establish a monthly average.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
stevensanph

one aircon in the bedroom - fans in rest of house.  No way would I do the whole house... it works out about 2k/month for the air con we run in the bedroom.

miles-high

I own 2 condos in NCR, one with 2 aircons (2hp each), the other with 4 aircons (1hp each). Both arrangements (sort of my own "experiments" :)) work good, not much differnece in its op cost. I just turn it on and off manually, e.g., turn on the aircon in the area I likely to be in and when I move there I turn the aircon off where I left… Leave one aircon at low all the time unless I am away overnight...

All aircons (Carrier) are the latest energy efficient units with dehumidifying function built-in (sleep with this function on, rather than "auto"  –  more comfortable, I think). More economical than the central aircon system I used to have in the US… Even with 6 aircons, the electric bill is 1/3 to 1/2 of what I used to pay in the US.

I may buy another condo in Mactan (not in Lapu-lapu ;)) but maybe the electricity cost is more expensive in Cebu? Things are better in NCR? :D

Edited by miles-high
cebubird

"Interesting", in the small house we rented for 2plus years, we used a/c in br every night and our electrice bill was always well over 4k. We installed a/c in our br and kid's here in our home, and have ceiling fans in all the rooms with lots of windows. Only times we have used a/c here is when neighbors crank up their karoke crap and we close windows and turn on a/c to help muffle the noise.

Electric bill for our 3 months here is averaging 2900 a month. Quite an improvement, and am sleeping quite comfortably with open windows and ceiling fan.

• Like 2
Kabisay-an gid

Quite an improvement, and am sleeping quite comfortably with open windows and ceiling fan.

I agree that ceiling fans are the way to go, especially for those on a tight budget.

• Like 1
tobster

We have 1 small window a/c in the bedroom. Initially used it at night and that evolved into an occasional afternoon nap. So it was about 11 hours of a/c. Found our electric bill too high and tried without the a/c for a couple months. Our electric bill went down P2,000-3,000 Only you know your budget. After nearly 2 years here I get by just fine with one fan. My body has adjusted quite a bit, with still more to go. Hope this helps you to make a sound decision. 

Yeah thats my experience too....about P2000 per month per unit. I like the ceiling fan idea too.

• Like 1

if your paying 6k without a/c then something is wrong somewhere .I have a 1 hp a/c going 24/7 and my highest bill has been 4 k ..I went a month without a c and my bill was only 2500 .so if I were you I would get your meter checked or ask a relative to see if anyone has connected a line to your house. 

• Like 1