Famous Intellectuals, Political figures, and Military leaders Inspirational quotes

JamesMusslewhite

JamesMusslewhite

Most people remember famous things that writers, poets, intellectuals, political figures, and military leaders have said that have been an Inspiration. Share the qoutes that have inspired you and perhaps have even influenced how you live your lives.

I have many and will add them later as the thread progresses. This is one I love with all the talk of war and as there are so many ex-military members. This one is from retiring Marine General James Mattis who I had the extreme pleasure of serving under.

"When you men get home and face an antiwar protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she is dating a p*ssy." US Marine Gen. James Mattis

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesMusslewhite

• Salty Dog

• Kabisay-an gid

• broden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"It's not easy being green"                                                Kermit the frog

"it takes a tough man to make a tender chicken".   Frank Perdue

"We're gonna need a bigger boat" - Brody (Roy Sheider)

Posted Images

Skywalker

When I first left the Army, many moons ago, I was given some advice that I've never forgotten and passed on many times, to people I considered worthwhile.  I've never found out if there was ever an original quote.

"There are three kinds of people in the World.  Those that make things happen, and those that watch things happen."

At this stage the smart person will remind you that you said three kinds, to which the reply is:

"The other kind of people are those that wondered what happened."

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 3
rainymike

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu

"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves." Lao Tzu

I found these two Chinese philosophers inspirational and useful during my career. I notice that they have also influenced some of America's better military leaders as well.

Now that I'm retired and enjoying myself, Alfred E. Neuman and "What, me worry?" is nearly on par with those two asian thinkers.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging" - Will Rogers

jtmwatchbiz

"it takes a tough man to make a tender chicken".   Frank Perdue

• Like 3
JamesMusslewhite

There are two old Swedish proverbs I remember back in Texas that are well worth remembering...

“Empty barrels make the most noise”

and

"If you buy what you don't need, you steal from yourself"

Kabisay-an gid

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."  ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

• Like 2
Headshot

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."

Thomas Paine

• Like 1

I've shagged girls of most nationalities and several kinds of animals but the one thing I won't touch is a girl with a Glasgow accent.

David Niven's commanding officer

• Like 2

"... and I'm going to give you a book.  It's a very good book.  I know, I wrote it."  Viscount Montgomery at a school prize giving.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

• Like 2
Nangulo
  • If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. - Theodore Roosevelt, Jr.

• Like 2
JamesMusslewhite

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you find a rock." Will Rogers

You were given the choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor and you will have war. - Winston Churchill

He probably has the greatest number of witty and noteworthy quotes of any statesman or author in history.

• Like 3