Changes in NBI procedures

My mother-in-law cleans our house, as much as for something to do as for the money. She is a well meaning but not worldly woman, so when she saw my newly acquired NBI “clearance” on a table, she didn’t know what it was. But, since she does know how to clean, she threw it away.  We figured this out after I decided to make sure that my paperwork was in order for the expected (hopefully) provisional 13A visa for which I am waiting.  It is my fault really; certainly not her fault. I left the damned thing on the table and she was just doing her job.  Anyway, I went to the NBI today to get a new one.  In the “Nothing is constant except change” category, I will relate the changes in NBI procedures during the 6 weeks that separate my first and second trips to that funhouse of anti-criminal activity. Six weeks ago you asked for an application, filled it out, stood in line for a while to pay the fee, stood in line for longer than previously to have your information entered into the system, and then stood in line for an even longer time to have your fingerprints and photo taken (biometrics, that makes it sound impressive).  Then, you returned about one month later to get your clearance (with only a short wait). Today all of the above is the same with these new wrinkles.  Now, when you pay the fee you get another application, this one blue with a fingerprint card on the back.  After the biometrics line, you go inside to the “administrative office” where you are fingerprinted again, this time the old fashioned way with a roller and ink on the blue card (the biometrics window uses digital capture).  Then, the nice man asks you for a picture, which you probably do not have) as he points to the small picture box on the blue card. So, you walk out of the NBI and down the street to the local picture vendor to get the picture. Then, back to the nice man in the admin office. Thinking that wasn’t so bad, the nice man asks you for photocopies of the relevant passport pages (the 3 usual suspects), which you probably don’t have.  Keeping your thoughts to yourself, you wonder why he didn’t tell you that you need the photocopies when you went out for the photo? You go back to the photo vendor, the woman knows exactly what photocopies you need, and again you wonder why she didn’t ask if you need photocopies 10 minutes earlier when you were getting the photo!  Finally, you go back to the nice man, present your photocopies, sign the form, and he tells you to come back in 1 month. Why do things change?....... because they can.  I asked why 2 different sets of fingerprints: the digital copies are for the NBI database…. the blue card is for Interpol.  Yes, that is what he said….. Interpol.   I guess I shouldn’t complain…. The cost is still P160.  It’s
a bargain (considering that Interpol is now in the mix)! 

Edited by Terrance
  • Like 1
shadow

My mother-in-law cleans our house, as much as for something to do as for the money. She is a well meaning but not worldly woman, so when she saw my newly acquired NBI “clearance” on a table, she didn’t know what it was. But, since she does know how to clean, she threw it away.  We figured this out after I decided to make sure that my paperwork was in order for the expected (hopefully) provisional 13A visa for which I am waiting.  It is my fault really; certainly not her fault. I left the damned thing on the table and she was just doing her job.  Anyway, I went to the NBI today to get a new one.  In the “Nothing is constant except change” category, I will relate the changes in NBI procedures during the 6 weeks that separate my first and second trips to that funhouse of anti-criminal activity. Six weeks ago you asked for an application, filled it out, stood in line for a while to pay the fee, stood in line for longer than previously to have your information entered into the system, and then stood in line for an even longer time to have your fingerprints and photo taken (biometrics, that makes it sound impressive).  Then, you returned about one month later to get your clearance (with only a short wait). Today all of the above is the same with these new wrinkles.  Now, when you pay the fee you get another application, this one blue with a fingerprint card on the back.  After the biometrics line, you go inside to the “administrative office” where you are fingerprinted again, this time the old fashioned way with a roller and ink on the blue card (the biometrics window uses digital capture).  Then, the nice man asks you for a picture, which you probably do not have) as he points to the small picture box on the blue card. So, you walk out of the NBI and down the street to the local picture vendor to get the picture. Then, back to the nice man in the admin office. Thinking that wasn’t so bad, the nice man asks you for photocopies of the relevant passport pages (the 3 usual suspects), which you probably don’t have.  Keeping your thoughts to yourself, you wonder why he didn’t tell you that you need the photocopies when you went out for the photo? You go back to the photo vendor, the woman knows exactly what photocopies you need, and again you wonder why she didn’t ask if you need photocopies 10 minutes earlier when you were getting the photo!  Finally, you go back to the nice man, present your photocopies, sign the form, and he tells you to come back in 1 month. Why do things change?....... because they can.  I asked why 2 different sets of fingerprints: the digital copies are for the NBI database…. the blue card is for Interpol.  Yes, that is what he said….. Interpol.   I guess I shouldn’t complain…. The cost is still P160.  It’s

a bargain (considering that Interpol is now in the mix)! 

Well, if it will make you feel any better, rest assured that if you went yet again 6 weeks from now for the same thing, you would find yet again differing requirements! The US embassy, which supposedly is NOT run by Filipinos, is no different. They change things every other week, and then back again if they choose, without rhyme nor reason.

That's the procedure I went through last month but I did two cards. These are send to Manila. If you have your receipt it should be straight forward enough. It might be worthwhile checking before that date. Some people have been nicely surprised to find the computer info unlocked and passed.