Sign in to follow this  
fallonwm

Advice on buying a used car

smokey

problem with buying in manila there are so many flooded areas you need to remove the carpet in the car to look for mold and i am sure that will not happen ,,, i had a flooded car the electrical was shit after the flood the windows would go up only sometimes the car would shift for itself often not when i wanted it to sold it cheap ...  

fallonwm

Well thanks for all this input

We are leaning now at a new car - probably because we'll be sure the title is clean and actually ours

Heard the Kia is getting better as its reputation was not as steller at the Toyota

Any suggestions on new cars? I wanted to have a high visual perspective so a SUV type might be the way to go

Given the changing exchange rate with the dollar, is it just a matter of timing to get the best price?

Does on just wire funds from one bank to another? or do you need to withdraw tons of pesos to pay?

Thanks again

Billy

smokey

We are leaning now at a new car - probably because we'll be sure the title is clean and actually ours

Heard the Kia is getting better as its reputation was not as steller at the Toyota

Any suggestions on new cars? I wanted to have a high visual perspective so a SUV type might be the way to go

Given the changing exchange rate with the dollar, is it just a matter of timing to get the best price?

Does on just wire funds from one bank to another? or do you need to withdraw tons of pesos to pay?

Thanks again

Billy

ford escape  would be my choice due to cost and having nice interior and taller then a car ... second choice would be a 4 door pick up 

CaptRonn

Thanks again

Billy

Kia's are good.  I just went to the local dealer (Gateway) found the car we wanted, negotiated the price.  Went over to the bank, got a manager's check (cashier check) for the amount and went back to the dealer, signed a few forms (about a 10th ofwhat you would sign back in the states) and paid for it, drove it home.

Jawny

Since the OP is in agreement, I will deviate from the original thread or used cars.  I'd like to suggest that a new car is not a bad thing to consider if you have the resources (money).  My own feeling is that any used car bought here would be, indeed, a USED car.  

With a new car you do have some assurances from a dealership and manufacturer.  These may not always end up in your favor, but used car buying is basically a crap shoot.

I bought a new Toyota Innova.  It was a decent price and I got the features I wanted etc.  I did discover one way the dealership will stiff the buyer is to replace the new battery with a similar but cheaper "new" battery.  Within three months the battery had gone bad and I replaced it with a new much better battery.

Also, I live in the provinces and the service and maintenance is barely adequate.  I had to bring my own tire pressure gauge when I took it in for service as they explained for the first year I had it serviced "sorry sir, we don't have a gauge to check the air pressure but the tires look OK".  Doesn't inspire confidence.

I bought the car with financing and it was simple, but not.  Essentially, they wanted the sale to go through, so there were few hassles.  But, all the documents and processes are written to protect them, not the buyer.  I'm not surprised, but just sayin...

Monsoon

Thanks again

Billy

I pay by bank 'manager's check" (what they call a certified check in the Philippines) whenever I buy a car from the dealership. 

Monsoon

If you buy a vehicle that has the spare tire outside underneath like my truck did make sure you buy a lock for it (like they told me to do). I of course never got around to it and the tire grew legs and ran away.

udonthani

I would not buy any car in the Philippines. However occasionally I might hire a car and driver.

on a motorbike they have allowed me to sniff around by myself :)

lexus

I would not buy any car in the Philippines. However occasionally I might hire a car and driver.

on a motorbike they have allowed me to sniff around by myself :)

Why You then ride a scooter, po?

fallonwm

Thanks to all. A lively discussion to say the least

No, no motorcycles for me. A bad fall lin Udornthani in 1988 convinced me that four wheels is better

The multicabs are cute and seemingly functional. Problem - I have long legs. When I tried to drive one, my gas foot was so bent, the pain lasted for days.

Also stick shifts are, for me, in the past. Auto is only the way to go. And a good A/C is essential

I will look into thie Izuzu Elf 4 double cab - perhaps you can back the drivers seat up about 4 inches.

I will also look at Hilton, Ayala, RDAK and Nito's. If nothing interesting, I will check out Kia at Gateway

Thanks again to all of you for your comments, opinions, and inputs

Billy

Skywalker

I would not buy any car in the Philippines.

Well, why would you, since you will never live here.

smokey

Chance of buying a used car that has not been owned by a Filipino are remote. Do your homework, shop around, test drive, have it checked out and you will be fine.

we have a member who builds honda units and he is a great mech... he came over the fixed my generator just a week ago and the locals wanted 4,000 plus he did it parts and labor for 1,800 he is our very own russian VAL  

threadstone

Just some advice to anyone. Here in the Philippines, If you're planning to buy a 2nd hand car, don't negotiate with the car owner through phone.  Just make sure the money is ready, then if you decided to but it already, just bring the money with you and then, begin negotiating with the price to the owner.  Sample if the price is 200,000 then you may ask the owner for 280 or its up to you.  Then show him the money and tell him that its all what you got.  You got a big chance of getting that car in a lower price.  Trust me.. I've done this many times in my life.   

Tinbum

Love it!!!! You pay 80K more than the guy wants!!!!   :killself: 

Trust me.. I've done this many times in my life.  
Surprised that you aint broke yet!

Listen, i;ve got lots of things for sale, come and see me ASAP okay?????

Skywalker

Car advertised in the local press in London, with a mobile number.  Buyer calls the number, guy tells him if you bring cash substantial discount available.

Buyer turns up.

Buyer gets robbed at knife point.

Let the buyer beware; and never turn up with cash on you.