Advice on buying a used car

smokey

I bought a new Kia Rio (2013) for my wife from Gateway in Cebu.  About 840K out the door, automatic, all power, very nice car.

For myself I bought a Daewoo Matiz (2005) that was an auction car from Korea.  Since it's Korean its a LHD.  Automatic, Air, about 73K kilometers on it and paid 160K.  So far, so good.

I agree buying used cars here is a gamble.  Take your time and look around, be prepared to see a lot of junk.

so your wife drives the nice car and you drive the surplus ???????????     

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Monsoon

• CaptRonn

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chance of buying a used car that has not been owned by a Filipino are remote. Do your homework, shop around, test drive, have it checked out and you will be fine.

I was not referring to used or surplus vehicles, I was referring to a new automobile as mentioned in this sentence "Strange, I always thought prices of new cars were on par with international prices."

i see ford explorer for 2.8 million which is a lot more then 50% higher then the west 

Thalcoozyo

Anyone have an opinion on the rebuilt/converted  Isuzu Elf double cab pickup?  The ones that have front/back seat, 4-doors, with a pickup bed?  They come 2-wheel and 4-wheel-drive.  Nito's in Cebu has some good looking units. Always wondered about those particular models, and Nito's in general. Anyone with experience?

so your wife drives the nice car and you drive the surplus ???????????     

Yep.

My car gets me back and forth to work and sits in a parking lot almost everyday, the only real reason I bought it for.

Mandingo

We bought a 1997 Mitsubishi Pajero diesel that was converted a while back; we paid 210,000 php for it. It looks nice/clean, has a newer paint job, bullbars front and rear and appears they did a pretty good conversion job. I've replaced the timing belt, shocks, brakes, front wheel bearings and had the oil and all the filters changed as soon as we got it. Will have new tires put on it in November when we return for the holidays. The little 4M40 intercooled turbo diesel is a good engine made to take abuse but is not a real powerfull engine but most mechanics in the Philippines can work on them so thats a big plus and parts are available for them too. That's something you need to think about, don't buy anything unless there are parts readily available and get something the mechanics are familiar with working on.

We've drove it from Ormoc to Manila and back and had no issues, although that said I would not want to own it here in the States just because I'd be scared to drive it at 80 mph all day knowing it had been converted. For there in the Phil, with us only visiting twice a year, it serves its purpose and I am happy we bought it. We looked at a lot of vehicles and I couldn't justify spending 500,000+ on something not converted and didn't want a multi-cab although there is nothing wrong with them if that's what you want. The one thing I noticed when shopping for a vehicle is that Filipinos ask for way too much money for the car and they would rather make sure that the vehicle looks nice rather that spend any money on preventative maintenance. Any car you buy take to a mechanic first and have them give it a throughout check from top to bottom before you buy it.

• Like 1
shadow

Anyone have an opinion on the rebuilt/converted  Isuzu Elf double cab pickup?  The ones that have front/back seat, 4-doors, with a pickup bed?  They come 2-wheel and 4-wheel-drive.  Nito's in Cebu has some good looking units. Always wondered about those particular models, and Nito's in general. Anyone with experience?

Maybe good, maybe bad. Completely dependent on who put it together. Nitos may not be a bad choice.

My first car got borrowed by the family and am still waiting for it to be returned ( 2011) was a 2005 Kia and they had a million excuses why they couldnt bring it back, and even when I went there to pick it up they insisted it couldnt be moved. So I just let them keep it...  Just after I bought a 2000 model Nissan sentra from Aaron at tiger taxi ( yes its an ex taxi with 500k+ miles on it)

mainly as a rally car to use in the province, I have thrashed this thing for over 2 years waiting for it too break so I could hand it over to the fam and get mine back...( I thought I could do it in a week, obviously not) it just keeps on running, how the hell do I kill this thing so I can mine back ???

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I bought a new Kia Rio (2013) for my wife from Gateway in Cebu. About 840K out the door, automatic, all power, very nice car.

For myself I bought a Daewoo Matiz (2005) that was an auction car from Korea. Since it's Korean its a LHD. Automatic, Air, about 73K kilometers on it and paid 160K. So far, so good.

I agree buying used cars here is a gamble. Take your time and look around, be prepared to see a lot of junk.

Im curious, by auction car do you mean one from Subic?

Where to find auction auction cars? I need to get something over there for my wife and I to run around in. We sold all our vehicles 3 months ago and werent planning on going back for anything but a short visit for a long time.... oh how things have changed.

Anyway. I too am in the car market now over there. I was looking at the Ford Fiestas online. Cheap enough and seems a decent car. The damn used prices there make me shake my head and are why I endes up buying a couple new cars before. Not sure what I will do this round.

Where to find auction auction cars? I need to get something over there for my wife and I to run around in. We sold all our vehicles 3 months ago and werent planning on going back for anything but a short visit for a long time.... oh how things have changed.

Anyway. I too am in the car market now over there. I was looking at the Ford Fiestas online. Cheap enough and seems a decent car. The damn used prices there make me shake my head and are why I endes up buying a couple new cars before. Not sure what I will do this round.

It was bought at the car auction in Korea and imported here.   If you are interested I'm putting it up for sale as I bought a 78 series Landcruiser to replace it.  It's automatic, very cold aircon, great on gas (800cc engine).  I'll make you a heck of a deal on it.

While at BPI I noticed they had a list on the wall of loan defaulted cars.. A 2009 Kia they wanted 130k for.. there policy is no warranty no test drive and no responsibility for any defects... Most banks auction there loan defaulted cars off at the Cebu country club once a month..Good place to look for a bargain.. but be wary and take a mechanics opinion before buying I think.

Bank auctions will sell below floor price especially if you tell them you WILL buy it.  Get the mechanic to check it over first.  I got mine when I knew the vehcile had not moved after two auctions

the fiesta is nice but i sure wish i would of went automatic shifting sucks 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Oh I definitely have to go auto. The wife just now drives and auto on the freeway. Im not bringing a manual into the equation. Not for the next 9 months anyway.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I look at the bank repo list sometimes. Maybe ill have a look at that again... good idea.

I look at the bank repo list sometimes. Maybe ill have a look at that again... good idea.

Yea, I think bank repos would be abundant here.  Just bring a mechanic.

Most of the bank car auctions require 20k to be able to buy pallet posting ( deposit to get a bidding #, refundable after auction closes) Winning bidder to pay 10-15% deposit on winning bid,  due within 12-24hrs. Sometimes same day before 5pm. You don't have to take a mechanic with you( if you can at no expense than better for ya) I have one on stand by if I were to buy one, and bring em over at the end of the auction if you actually do buy anything. The gross amount is due within 2-5 days, depending on the bank.