Advice on buying a used car

thebob

i see ford explorer for 2.8 million which is a lot more then 50% higher then the west 

Thats because its an import. Local cars are competitive.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Monsoon

• CaptRonn

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chance of buying a used car that has not been owned by a Filipino are remote. Do your homework, shop around, test drive, have it checked out and you will be fine.

I was not referring to used or surplus vehicles, I was referring to a new automobile as mentioned in this sentence "Strange, I always thought prices of new cars were on par with international prices."

i see ford explorer for 2.8 million which is a lot more then 50% higher then the west 

shadow

More especially, a luxury import.

I have owned a used small multicab. It was an import, converted to left hand drive. Piece of crap, bit that is what I expected. I gave it to my family and bought a new Toyota Innova a few years back. Each has their advantages. The multicab was low maintenance and shade tree mechanics can fix them rather easily. Not a vehicle I would take on long trips and it never felt safe. I used 40 to 50 kg as my typical cruising speed. Quite practical for hauling shit. Even hauled two dead bodies in it once.

The Innova is a model assembled here in the Philippines. That keeps the price lower than the hi end models or the imported models. We wanted a Kia but opted for the Toyota.

If you insist on saving money with a used car, you will get what you pay for. Most used cars are better called OVER used. I had no problem shelling out around 200k for a piece of crap multicab and accepting it for what it is. It was a different decision to spend over a million for a new car.

There are a variety of financing options open to you, but that will depend upon your circumstances. Also, financing is costly at high interest rates and all documents in the favor of the seller.

I would advise to steer clear (pardon the pun) of used cars unless they are the from an importer such as multicabs.

I have noticed some larger multicabs used in Cebu I would have liked to buy when I first came here. They appear to be assembled here, and quite sturdy with the high clearance you wanted. Of course, you can also get a jeepney made here.

so obviously then you bought your multicab  for $3300  new or  from a foreigner !!!   Otherwise your comment makes no sense at all !! Ok, i will go out on a limb here and say it straight out - your comment is ridiculous !!  

Read it again, anal breath...especially the part where I said from a credible dealer.

You are the ridiculous one, as you obviously can't read an entire post and comprehend it. got that, anal breath?

so obviously then you bought your multicab  for $3300  new or  from a foreigner !!!   Otherwise your comment makes no sense at all !! Ok, i will go out on a limb here and say it straight out - your comment is ridiculous !!  

When you go out on that limb, I hope itssa one 150 feet up in the air and when it breaks and you hit the ground andd do not get up, I will laugh even harder at your insulting ignorant ass. You Sir, are an arrogant zit-head.

smokey

what is a local car produced in the philippines with no tax 

Well I suppose an update on this is relevant.

Previously on  Buying second hand cars in the Philippines:)) I knew I should have made this a video!

Last year, August I bought a second hand bank repo a Ford Everest 2.5 diesel, 2005 model, under 500 thou, they wanted more etc.

Firts thing I did was to get the vehicle inspected by a trusted known mechanic prior to purchase, he identified some minor issues and advised an immediate full service. This I did, cost for that including oil and other bodily fluids about 3,500.  Since then basically a whole new front end, king pins, shock absorbers and so many damn bushes it should have been called Ford Plantation, total cost , ford parts and labour about 20,000 pesos plus two other full services at 5000km or 6 months whichever comes first.

Not a problem as i knocked the price down well below what i spent on it.

Runs very well and needs cosmetic work done .espially as  local tosser keyed the passenger side for me as I drove past and he run as  fast as his slippers let him when I hit the brakes , they breed them brave around here...not.

Over all an easy drive and well worth the cost plus expenses so far. Next year will be a major service, tappets etc and air con overhaul plus all the cosmetic stuff, budget anotrher 20,000.

as for new front ends, u drive here on these roads no matter who you are or what you drive it will be your turn next

Edited by spooks
dc3driver

Chance of buying a used car that has not been owned by a Filipino are remote. Do your homework, shop around, test drive, have it checked out and you will be fine.

Buy one from a forum member, you can't go wrong!

• Like 1

Buy one from a forum member, you can't go wrong!

Like the 1st Generation (91-95) Elantra that was advertised here as 2003 (the year it was brought into the country). 

Post #9 has the best advice and I would just add have a lot of patience. Took me several months and I think I saw every scam under the sun (including the aforementioned). 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

what is a local car produced in the philippines with no tax 

They assembled the Vios and Innova in Laguna. 

smokey

They assembled the Vios and Innova in Laguna. 

does that make them cheaper ? Seems Toyota cost the same as anywhere else and for me them two models dont do much for me

Just make sure to buy something you get parts for. If it's a Kia you might need lots of those.

Multi cabs are for Japanese farmers to move their rice out of the paddy. Don't reckon on any long distance or fuel economy from motorbike engine hauling a small truck body.

I bought a new Kia Rio (2013) for my wife from Gateway in Cebu.  About 840K out the door, automatic, all power, very nice car.

For myself I bought a Daewoo Matiz (2005) that was an auction car from Korea.  Since it's Korean its a LHD.  Automatic, Air, about 73K kilometers on it and paid 160K.  So far, so good.

I agree buying used cars here is a gamble.  Take your time and look around, be prepared to see a lot of junk.

For Real

I agree buying used cars here is a gamble.  Take your time and look around, be prepared to see a lot of junk.

And remember one additional thing - The old saying "You can't polish a turd" gets proven wrong every 5 minutes in the Philippines"

Turd polishing is an automotive art 

• Like 1
shadow

Just make sure to buy something you get parts for. If it's a Kia you might need lots of those.

Multi cabs are for Japanese farmers to move their rice out of the paddy. Don't reckon on any long distance or fuel economy from motorbike engine hauling a small truck body.

A well tuned 4X4 multicab will get in the neighborhood of 13 KPL, that's about 30-40 MPG. Certainly would not qualify as a gas hog. 

Edited by shadow