Advice on buying a used car

Hi

As the price of new cars seems astronomical, we are seriously considering purchasing a used car. Would anyone out there have any advice or guidance for us? We would want to find a car where the viewing angle is a bit higher than an ordinary car, such as a Rav4, Honda Civic, etc. I like to be able to view above the cars in front for safety reasons.

Thanks

Billy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Monsoon

• CaptRonn

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chance of buying a used car that has not been owned by a Filipino are remote. Do your homework, shop around, test drive, have it checked out and you will be fine.

I was not referring to used or surplus vehicles, I was referring to a new automobile as mentioned in this sentence "Strange, I always thought prices of new cars were on par with international prices."

i see ford explorer for 2.8 million which is a lot more then 50% higher then the west 

Hi

As the price of new cars seems astronomical, we are seriously considering purchasing a used car. Would anyone out there have any advice or guidance for us? We would want to find a car where the viewing angle is a bit higher than an ordinary car, such as a Rav4, Honda Civic, etc. I like to be able to view above the cars in front for safety reasons.

Thanks

Billy

Strange, I always thought prices of new cars were on par with international prices. It's the used cars that are outrageously overpriced. Maybe it's just me.

• Like 1
shadow

Strange, I always thought prices of new cars were on par with international prices. It's the used cars that are outrageously overpriced. Maybe it's just me.

"Cheap" cars are still cheap, or not so different. Anything that can be construed as a "luxury" car (SUV?) the import duties will drive the price up considerably.

Edited by shadow

"Cheap" cars are still cheap, or not so different. Anything that can be construed as a "luxury" car (SUV?) the import duties will drive the price up considerably.

Sorry, but those "jeeps" they have here (which I'm assuming is one of those cheap cars you are talking about) would never be worth more than 500USD at home......unless they threw in 4x4, a V8 and a new paint job and even then it could only pull around 2k USD. Here I've seen them ask more than 200k pesos for one of those heaps of____.

99 percent of used cars here you would have to pay ME to take it off their hands. Locals aren't well known for their preventative maintenance.....or any type of maintenance on their vehicles.

So to the OP, the best advice I could give you on buying a used car is to make sure a local has never owned or driven it. Good luck to you.

• Like 1
smokey

it is just you a car new in the west for say 20,000 us will be closer to 30 in the philippines with the tax 

P200,000($4.500 +/-) will get you a good enough Multi-cab 4X4 that will run forever and be the ugliest, most uncomfortable mini-truck you will ever own. But they are bullet proof and do run forever. I had one and it cost me $4,000($3,300 to buy $700 repairs/tires/servicing) over 3 1/2 years and still ran like a top when I gave it away. Suzy Suzuki was her name and she still is a li'l hummer, get one that has just been re-built/put together and you will be able to drive on the beach, climb the side of a mountain. Those li'l POS are damn good products, unless you buy one that was poorly re-built. Ask around Cebu,or wherever you are for the best multi-cab dealer, Ex-pats know these things.

it is just you a car new in the west for say 20,000 us will be closer to 30 in the philippines with the tax

Yes , you are correct. The trick is to get a vehicle assembled in the Philippines(imma sure you know). The VIN #, or whatever it is called over there, I forget, has to say where the final assembly of the car was. You also have to go to the car companies web-site to determine what the #'s stand for. There is a Global standard and the 10th digit(is now a letter since 2010, so I should say 10th character) denotes vehicles production year. A=2010,B=2011,C=2012 and so on...9=2009,8=2008 etc, etc...

The POS Toyota Vios is the Toyota Corolla of the Philippines and is similarly priced as the Corolla is in the states. $17,500 for an Vios 'E'(P775,000.00) is not that bad to pay for a fuel efficient new 'shit-box' out the door. There is a way to determine vehicles assembled in the Philippines besides the VIN#, but I have forgotten.

You are also correct, the 'USED' car prices in the Philippines are sooooo outrageous it is actually LAUGHABLE. Filipino changes the oil and then wants you to pay for that too, when you buy the car. I hope the OP doesn't even think of buying a used car from a Filipino, if he does...Well, he has been warned. Newly "RE-BUILT" Vehicles, 'rebuilt' in the Philippines by a credible dealer('RDAK' in Cebu/CDO is one good dealer I know of) or a new vehicle assembled in the Philippines is the only way to go if you do not want to get burnt or unless you have money to throw away.

Chance of buying a used car that has not been owned by a Filipino are remote. Do your homework, shop around, test drive, have it checked out and you will be fine.

• Like 2
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

You asked for advice so mine is:

Don't buy a Right hand drive conversion. Make sure you check for proper paperwork (clean title etc.) before buying. I like buying used cars from people I know and have good luck with doing so. That way I know for sure its never been flooded, no funny business with registration etc.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

P200,000($4.500 +/-) will get you a good enough Multi-cab 4X4 that will run forever and be the ugliest, most uncomfortable mini-truck you will ever own. But they are bullet proof and do run forever. I had one and it cost me $4,000($3,300 to buy $700 repairs/tires/servicing) over 3 1/2 years and still ran like a top when I gave it away. Suzy Suzuki was her name and she still is a li'l hummer, get one that has just been re-built/put together and you will be able to drive on the beach, climb the side of a mountain. Those li'l POS are damn good products, unless you buy one that was poorly re-built. Ask around Cebu,or wherever you are for the best multi-cab dealer, Ex-pats know these things.

THe OP seems to be safety driven in his purchase. Multicabs are anything but safe. 

Edited by Monsoon
Davaoeno

You are also correct, the 'USED' car prices in the Philippines are sooooo outrageous it is actually LAUGHABLE. Filipino changes the oil and then wants you to pay for that too, when you buy the car. I hope the OP doesn't even think of buying a used car from a Filipino, if he does...Well, he has been warned. Newly "RE-BUILT" Vehicles, 'rebuilt' in the Philippines by a credible dealer('RDAK' in Cebu/CDO is one good dealer I know of) or a new vehicle assembled in the Philippines is the only way to go if you do not want to get burnt or unless you have money to throw away.

so obviously then you bought your multicab  for $3300  new or  from a foreigner !!!   Otherwise your comment makes no sense at all !! Ok, i will go out on a limb here and say it straight out - your comment is ridiculous !!  

smokey

Hi

Thanks

Billy

spit out the number .... makes a huge difference in what advice is given   try to buy a real car with real brakes and a real steering wheel ,,  if i wanted a car i would for between 200 to 300,000 buy a Chevy optra   for 400 to 500 i would look for a nice ford fiesta ...for 650,000 to 900,000 i would look for a ford escape and try to stick to looking in cebu to make sure your not buying a flooded unit ,,, as to safety if you get hit by a 10 wheeler with 1,000 sacks of rice its your time no matter what type of car your in 

Edited by smokey
shadow

Sorry, but those "jeeps" they have here (which I'm assuming is one of those cheap cars you are talking about) would never be worth more than 500USD at home......unless they threw in 4x4, a V8 and a new paint job and even then it could only pull around 2k USD. Here I've seen them ask more than 200k pesos for one of those heaps of____.

99 percent of used cars here you would have to pay ME to take it off their hands. Locals aren't well known for their preventative maintenance.....or any type of maintenance on their vehicles.

So to the OP, the best advice I could give you on buying a used car is to make sure a local has never owned or driven it. Good luck to you.

I was not referring to used or surplus vehicles, I was referring to a new automobile as mentioned in this sentence "Strange, I always thought prices of new cars were on par with international prices.". The cheap models, such as the base model Toyota or Hyundia, is priced reasonably similar to the same model in the US, but the "luxury" model vehicles are priced much higher.

For instance, MSRP on a Toyota FJ cruiser in the US is $28,000 (P1.2 mil or so), while in the Philippines it sells for P1.8+ million (50% higher).

Most of the difference is the initiated by the "luxury tax" imposed by customs. 

I fully agree that used cars are priced way higher in the Philippines, almost without exception.

• Like 2
smokey

I was not referring to used or surplus vehicles, I was referring to a new automobile as mentioned in this sentence "Strange, I always thought prices of new cars were on par with international prices.". The cheap models, such as the base model Toyota or Hyundia, is priced reasonably similar to the same model in the US, but the "luxury" model vehicles are priced much higher.

For instance, MSRP on a Toyota FJ cruiser in the US is $28,000 (P1.2 mil or so), while in the Philippines it sells for P1.8+ million (50% higher).

Most of the difference is the initiated by the "luxury tax" imposed by customs. 

I fully agree that used cars are priced way higher in the Philippines, almost without exception.

i see ford explorer for 2.8 million which is a lot more then 50% higher then the west 

• Like 2