Internet Service Options in the Philippines

Thank you (I think!) to whoever moved my post into this topic.

Yes, we have Cignal TV. I don't remember the exact set up cost but it wasn't a lot - about 1000PHP for installation. We have a pretty basic package costing about 500PHP per month (pays for the package subscription and a "box" maintenance fee - the box rental if you like. You can get bigger/better channel packages. For 500 per month, I think the quality of service is OK. There is the occasional drop out and fuzziness. There are lots of trees around us and they are not the best thing to have in front of a dish when they're wet. The box has a card in it (credit card size) - it's equivalent to a SIM card. Our biggest outage contributor is "someone" forgetting to load the card :rolleyes:. I have no idea how you go about terminating service. I would assume stop paying for load and wait until someone says they want the equipment back? Also, I assume that if the box fails, you should be able to get it replaced for free (or very little). Cignal do have a really crummy website with information and there will be local suppliers in most big places.

The installer is not going to be around long for 1000PHP and will put the dish (about 1m diameter) where he wants to (which means the easiest possible place he can find). I wasn't around when ours was installed - a 3 year old with an electric drill could have done a better job. If you go with Cignal I would make sure to be home when the installer arrives and slip him a hundred or two to put it where you want or where it might be aesthetically pleasing. They don't like to put the dish on the roof because of lightning.

SkyMan

Your main options are:

1.  Slow

2.  Not fast enough

3.  Annoying and

4.  Tedious

There are some others but they suck.

Your main options are:

1.  Slow

2.  Not fast enough

3.  Annoying and

4.  Tedious

There are some others but they suck.

We have 1, 2 and 3 and a couple of the other, non-specified options currently. Hence the need for something decent that will get to the middle of nowhere.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I went from great sky cable internet service in Laguna, not far from Manila, to none outside of Dumaguete, then moved closer to town and got 3Mbs. Now I'm in Cebu and have good service and speed 10Mbs. Except for Sky Cable Internet years ago, I've been with Globe ever since.

Like mentioned before, you have to be close to a node or switch (whatever they call it) to get good DSL. Mine reads 400 meters on my router and I'm in a new building. Even at that distance my speed is usually only 8Mbs instead of the 10Mbs it's rated for. Considering I'm in I.T. Park, I can't believe they didn't install fiber optics.

Edited by Salty Dog
senseless

Here are your options.

G[od kill me now]lobeMAX

S[hit]martBRO

S[hit]un

P[iece of shit]LDT

S[hit]ky

Bayan[shit]

Some smell more than others depending on how long they've been sitting in the sun. The best customer service is probably bayantel from my experience. PLDT is what everyone is pretty much forced to use and they dominate the market buying out any and all competitors so you don't have a choice.

Judging by the lack of responses saying "I have satellite internet from XYZ Co and it's great" I am coming to the conclusion that those who live "in the country" are reluctant to invest (waste?) money in satellite systems. I have far better uses for a couple of thousand dollars (I seem to recall needing a wall) with no likelihood / guarantee of internet success. It's a pity - I like being at our place and I could spend much more time there sooner with a decent connection.