Internet Service Options in the Philippines

Hi

Looking for broadband speed and want to know about PLDT, Globe, etc

Which one is the best in your opinion?

Thanks

Billy

USMC-Retired

Asked a million times. It depends on area and availability. There are very limited options in many areas. So where? The general answer is PLDT DSL or smart products.

• Like 1

You want to download a few movies or TV shows occasionally? Stay away from Smart or PLDT (same company now). Once you reach their arbitrary cap (they won't tell you what it is) they cut your speed to 1/10 of what it should be until the end of the month, calling it their fair use policy.

After they did this I went and cancelled telling them I had a fair pay policy, no or hobbled service, I don't pay...

USMC-Retired

So does Globe. They all do it. PLDT DSL and Smartbro never did it to me as where Globe did. Yet this also subject to area.

Knowdafish

It depends on your location and your budget. If where your are has it available and it is not oversold, Sky Cable offers some fast speeds and free cable T.V. with some of their more expensive packages. 

Some of the members here dislike Sky Cable, but I liked it a lot when I lived in Bacong, Negros Oriental. We had no problems with it at all. It was actually faster than promised and the free cable T.V. kept my wife entertained while I was working on the net. 

We will be living in poblicion Argao, about 60 kms south of Cebu City

Was not aware of these 'fair play' rules

I would not want to have such a limit and wanted to get some sense of Globe

Anyone know of a dish system that would provide both cable and internet?

Thanks

USMC-Retired

There are no dish internet providers like you describe in the Philippines.

of the three I have tried: Sun, Globe and Smart.....Well they all have inferior speeds compared to most 1st world providers and the best connection/speeds, if you are using broadband, which is what I use/used primarily, The best one is the one which has the closest tower to your location.

I have never used PLDT's DSL-phone line Modem but if it is not up-graded yet, like the cable TV providers still using Non-HiDef NTSC signal(they actually trumphet the fact that it is now digital and make you pay for it,POS's) then I'll go out on a limb and say it probably sux.

Smart and Globe's home antenna service with an in-house modem is no better than using a USB stick and aside from obviously not being portable, I'd stay away from them both and stick with the service that is closest tower to your location as it is the same as using a USB modem.

Pricing is all pretty much the same with Sun being cheapest and usually having fewer towers, slower speeds, un-reliable connections.of course,YMMV....

We will be living in poblicion Argao, about 60 kms south of Cebu City

Was not aware of these 'fair play' rules

I would not want to have such a limit and wanted to get some sense of Globe

Anyone know of a dish system that would provide both cable and internet?

Thanks

I live in Poblacion, Argao. It's not a question of which is "best" but what is available. I wanted PLDT but they had no available ports. That was 2 years ago so maybe that's changed. I have Globe DSL, it's ok most of the time. I have not run into any limits so far. There is also a Globe tower in the middle of town so the Globe dongle works pretty good. You have to have a backup. 

I see that Cignal as a dish TV group is being used by all the resorts south of Argao. Does anyone have experience with this company? Thanks

:rose:

As you know, my partner and I have a place "in the country". There is no chance that PLDT will lay phone lines (probably this century, if ever). We are about 15km from the nearest Smart tower and 5km from the nearest Globe tower. We can get good signal from the Globe tower but the service is Edge (about 2.5G). It is possible, on a good day, to have a video call for a few minutes at least. Again, there is no indication that Globe intends to upgrade this service in my lifetime. We have Cignal TV. When my partner remembers to load the card, TV service is reasonable.

I have been reading here and there about satellite internet. Noone seems to be particularly enamoured of it. If I believe the IPStar marketing blurb, they have 10's of thousands of happy customers in Australia and New Zealand. This might be because the internet service provider that the system connects to is Australia or New Zealand based. Obviously, if the satellite system connects to a Philippines ISP, that brings it's own special brand of quality of service.

As far as I can determine, equipment for IPStar is expensive - say US$2K - and the service is also relatively expensive (difficult to find current rates but similar services in Canada / US seem to be at least US$50 / month. By comparison, an "adequate" PLDT DSL service can be had (if you live in the right place) for zero down and < PHP1300 / month. As best I can tell, obtaining the equipment would probably require a trip to Manila. That's something else to factor in to the "is it worth it?" question.

This is a pretty long intro to a fairly simple question. Does anyone have any current experience with a satellite internet service, such as IPStar? Obviously, I am particularly interested in responses from the Philippines, but feedback from Australia and New Zealand would also be welcome. I don't need speeds etc. just a subjective assessment of whether you can run an uninterrupted video call, whether the audio/video quality is lousy or good, what does it cost, and how easy was it to get the equipment.

Thanks

Paddy

I see that Cignal as a dish TV group is being used by all the resorts south of Argao. Does anyone have experience with this company? Thanks

:rose:

I live in Leyte and have Cignal.  Picture quality is good, much better than Sky Cable in Cebu but the choice of channels available is limited, for my taste anyway.