Royal Enfield

liquido

I've been to a few motorbike museums recently, (I take a disabled pal out, and he is/was a M/C enthusiast) and it is surprising how many makes are no longer around.

I am, of course, talking British bikes.

Whilst I am not keen on seeing the old names on "foreign" machines, it is better than not seeing them at all..

• Like 2
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David_LivinginTalisay

• Alan S

• hyaku

• johnboy999

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

only true royal enfields were built in britain .after the factory closed any bikes built since then are not true enfields but fakes .The name should have died along with the factory to perserve its pr

The owners can either license out the blueprints and that logo name or let it turn to dust and walk away from untold millions(?) generated from the emerging markets ... I hear your words on the histor

I still like Triumph

Posted Images

Canuck Joe

I've been to a few motorbike museums recently, (I take a disabled pal out, and he is/was a M/C enthusiast) and it is surprising how many makes are no longer around.

Whilst I am not keen on seeing the old names on "foreign" machines, it is better than not seeing them at all..

i would have never guessed you where British my friend.

Wow, you owned a Vincent ?  Was it a Shadow or a Lightning ?  Two of my dream bikes that unfortunately I never owned____An Arial square four and a Vincent Black Lightning.

It was an old shadow.

As I said earlier, I owned a Shadow, which was superb but the roadholding was not as good as it could have been and the weight was, well, heavy. 

A pal who used to race bikes had a Manx Norton, and had ruined the engine. His (wealthy) parents bought him a new one and I bought the remains.

So, I had a Featherbed frame, full-width hubs & brakes, and with the Shadow engine "shoe-horned" into it. The gearbox was off a Norton 16H, and it went like stink.

I made all the brackets etc from Dural ( I knew someone in the aircraft industry) on which I "engine-turned" patterns.

I sold it to a guy who raced it and on his first outing, killed himself and smashed the bike into bits.

I never owned a Square 4 but did ride one once. The main problem was the rear cylinders overheated, and the usual cure was to run with a rich mixture, which was only a partial cure.

The great variety of bikes at the time meant that we all had lots of fun.

(And broke lots of laws, but that is a different matter.)

• Like 1
Dragonladies.org

Royal Enfield

motorcycles made in England were being sold in India from 1949. In

1955, the Indian government looked for a suitable motorcycle for its

police and army, for patrolling the country's border. The Bullet was

chosen as the most suitable bike for the job. The Indian government

ordered 800 350 cc model Bullets. In 1955, the Redditch company partnered with Madras Motors in India to form 'Enfield India' to assemble, under licence, the 350 cc Royal Enfield Bullet motorcycle in Madras

(now called Chennai). The first machines were assembled entirely from

components shipped from England. In 1957, the tooling was sold to

Enfield India so that they could manufacture components. By 1962, all

components were made in India. The Indian Enfield uses the 1960 engine

(with metric bearing sizes), in the pre-1956 design frame.

An independent manufacturer since the demise of Royal Enfield in

England, Enfield India still makes an essentially similar bike in 350 cc

and 500 cc forms today, along with several different models for

different market segments.[1]

The 'fast' Enfield Sonny mentioned may have been an Interceptor, which was made in the UK.

The Interceptor was a British motorcycle made by Royal Enfield

between 1960 and 1970. The 700 Interceptor introduced in 1960 was a

modified version of the company's 692 cc Constellation model. In 1962,

the company introduced the 750 Interceptor which evolved constantly

until the end of production in 1970.

This is the only 'big' Enfield I remember.

post-4936-0-25599500-1378498208_thumb.jpg

about ten years ago, I considered one of the 'Indian' enfields as a bike to use around town.  The requirements would be inexpensive to operate, suitable for urban traffic, cheap on tires and gas.   After some research, I ended up buying a Suzuki DR650.

Look what I found !  Rollie free breaking the speed record in 1948 at Bonneville salt flats at over 150 MPH_____prone and wearing a bathing suit ____on a 1000 cc.  Vincent Black Lightning.  Balls of steel, shit for brains .

This 1000cc V-twin was THE super
bike then. It was the ultimate ride. Its chassis was unlike anything ever
produced then and till now the frame is still considered unique. The Vincent
Black Lightning was built between 1948 and 1952 when the last model rolled out
of the Vincent factory in Stevenage, England. It was at that time the fastest
production motorcycle in the world. Even a song about this bike was recorded by
Richard Thompson. The song ‘1952 Vincent Black Lightning’ was later re-recorded
by several others. Racing trims were supplied with magnesium alloy parts,
special racing rims and tyres and others which made the Lightning lost weight to
a mere 380 lbs.(170kg.) The 998cc V-twin, OHV, air cooled, pushrod engine was
capable of 150 mph (240km/h) with only 70 bhp. A supercharged unit was specially
built for a record attempt but never made it. That bike was subsequently sold
for £221,500 (RM 1,121,750.00) in 2008. This set a record as the most expensive
motorcycle ever sold at an auction in UK.

vincent.jpg

The famous picture of a man
stretched out in only a bathing suit on a Vincent is not in fact a Black Shadow
but a Black Lightning.

The Black Lightning was a custom order from the factory and was some 100 pounds
lighter and 25 hp more powerful than the stock Black Shadow. In one of his
books, Phil Irving (one of the designers) said that there were only about 16 of
the model produced. The Black Lightning is the fastest Vincent ever produced.

As for the famous "bathing suit bike" picture, it is of

Rollie Free, an American, riding on the Bonneville Salt Flats on 13
September 1948. Free was determined to break the land speed record in the
"Flying Mile." His first pass hit 148 mph (238 km/h), which broke the record,
but Free was determined to break 150. Noticing that his riding leathers had
started to come apart at the seams from the force of the wind, Free borrowed a
bathing suit, cap, and a pair of tennis shoes and laid down on the bike. With
the decreased drag, Free broke 150 mph, topping out at 150.313 mph (241.905
km/h), shattering his record of only a few moments before. That bike, also known
as the "John Edgar Lightning" after its sponsor, is currently in the private
collection of Herb Harris of Austin, Texas.

Source

The new Café racer Society

• Like 1

I can't imagine buying an Enfield for any reason other than nostalgia.  Heavy and underpowered, there are so many other bikes that give you so much more for your money.

Surprised to return to my roots some years ago to find they built the Triumph factory on Grandmother's chicken farm!

The lightning was an amazing machine. (I never rode one and cant recall even seeing one.)

But for us ordinary mortals, the Shadow was about as good as it could get.

One guy, George Brown (not the politician) used to use them in drag races, time trials etc.

His Nero and Super Nero (the supercharged version) were extremely fast over the short distances involved.

JamesMusslewhite

It's a pity that they are so expensive. I'd like an Enfield.

Just think how good it would look sitting on the deck of your yacht......

only true royal enfields were built in britain .after the factory closed any bikes built since then are not true enfields but fakes .The name should have died along with the factory to perserve its prestige.as the old saying goes they don,t make them like that anymore.It is the same thing applies to anything that is made in uk that used to be known for its quality only now its made in china ,it does,nt mean the same anymore just my 2 cents

yep, the new ones don't leak oil.
  • Like 1
Open_Ended

I've got a friend from the UK here, about 64yrs old, and he was over the other day and must have named off 6-7 bike brands (he owned when growing up) I have never heard of or read anything about them ... Most seemed to have some funky or clunky design ... These are the bikes that will not be cloned and will sit in a room for viewers only at best.

In the emerging days of bike design (pre 1920 say) there were literally hundreds of people designing and putting into production motorcycles. Originally most were based on engines put into the pre-existing pushbike frames so available. Then with advances in motor design, the frame had to be stronger and its form and function changed as did associated components such as forks, hubs etc.

How did lots of people design and build bikes?.

The early years were full of what could be called badge engineering. Unable to afford the cost of a foundry, welding shop, expertise etc, they took advantage of existing companies supplying component parts. You bought all the parts necessary and assembled them in your garden shed. You painted it in your chosen colours, named it what you wanted and voila!! You had a Simple Man, or a Broden!

The Dayton in my gallery is an example of this philosophy. It was actually built by the Davis Sewing Machine Co. in Dayton Ohio. between 1913 and 1918. The clutch is made by Eclipse who made clutches, the saddle by Troxel who made saddles, the engine by Spacke...., the mag by Bosch who.....the carb by Schebler....

The Dayton in appearance is very similiar to other bikes of the same 5 yr period such as the De-Luxe, The Eagle etc.

What makes surviving examples from this era very sought after is the special parts that the individuals made only for their Broden or Simple Man. A neck badge stamped out from brass sheet for example. If 150 of the Broden were only produced, then today, the chances of finding a Broden neck badge are very small. The Broden engine was a Spacke unit, but with The Broden cast into a certain part, say timing cover. Now Spacke engines are not rare, but a timing cover with The Broden sure is! However on the other hand, it is so easy to find a mag, carb saddle etc.as the same component parts were used by just about every manufacturer.

This badge engineering also existed outside the US with Lucas equipment being standard issue for years, Amal carbs, Bowden  control cables, Smiths speedos, Brooks saddles.......

So this is why there are so many names of bike producers early on, of which few examples remain.

Sorry for the ramble, you might have guessed early bikes were my passion. P.S a really good example of minor badge engineering is the Brough Superior, the hubs on this most hallowed of bikes are actually Royal Enfield items!!

Edited by Tinbum
  • Like 1
David_LivinginTalisay

https://www.facebook.com/RoyalEnfieldCebu

Royal Enfield Cebu
September 4

2005_173277039525404_580562083_n.png
1238894_173277049525403_1714514110_n.png
969514_173277056192069_765954882_n.png
1185121_173277066192068_1459177319_n.png

1000633_173277079525400_171449270_n.png
The Bullet Electra Deluxe has the same elements of the Electra, but also features hand polished aluminium castings and a hand lined chrome gas tank.

The Bullet Electra is a classic motorcycle, simplistic in design with a new, robust and reliable unit construction engine. Comfort takes a front seat with gas filled shock absorbers and a sub frame.

1235022_173268062859635_1317528226_n.jpg 1240071_173268079526300_157127207_n.jpg 1239775_173268179526290_1738289453_n.jpg
The all new Unit Construction Engine.      Gold pin-striping on side panel.             19 inch wire wheels with big chrome mudguards.

1185124_173268032859638_1502421902_n.jpg 
Paint on chrome fuel tank with thigh pads for that vintage motorcycle look.

Bullet Classic Chrome (Available in: Chrome and Maroon)
1004540_173266762859765_1299128157_n.jpg 1186271_173266756193099_496489006_n.jpg 1234572_173266772859764_1417862719_n.jpg
Unique Tan seat, available on this model only. Spring seat, with removable pillion seat.
1185499_173266786193096_471731284_n.jpg 166037_173266796193095_1165327467_n.jpg 1234212_173266819526426_826978226_n.jpg
280MM disc brake

264496_173266829526425_634679513_n.png
The Royal Enfield Classic Chrome is based on the Classic 500 with a rather generous dose of chrome on it. Like the Classic 500, the new Classic Chrome retains the quintessential classic British styling of the 1950s: simple, harmonious, well proportioned. The Chrome sports a seat with a leather finish and adds to the visual appeal of the motorcycle. Built of old-fashioned metal, in clean elegant lines of Chrome combined with a rich paint finish the design of the Royal Enfield Classic Chrome is a tribute to the retro look of post war British motorcycles.

[media='iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=171996802986761" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0"]

http://www.ayosdito.ph/Royal+enfield+cebu-5751943.htm

9476825466.jpg

8 Jul 17:48, Cebu & Central Visayas

brandnew.single cylinder, 500cc,140kph,british brand, 

Motorcycle Accessories & Parts from CARS & MOTORCYCLES in Cebu & Central Visayas
Contact Seller
Jelo
Send Email
David_LivinginTalisay

http://weroyalriders.com/royal-enfield-motocycles-officially-enters-philippines-launched-in-cebu/654/

ROYAL ENFIELD MOTOCYCLES OFFICIALLY ENTERS PHILIPPINES- LAUNCHED IN CEBU

Royal Enfield Motorcycle,  a British company which is now an Indian brand and have presence worldwide who is witnessing increase in its demand. Expanding further Royal Enfield India is now also officially available in  Philippines  also.

With plan to expands its distribution throughout the world, company on Sept 05, 2013 officially announced its launch in Philippines, Cebu.

royal-enfield-Philippines.jpg

Royal Enfield Classic Battle Green with flag of Philippines in backdrop.

Royal Enfield Motorcycle is known worldwide for its Retro-Modern blend as well its practicability. The demand of Royal Enfield Motorcycle is rising throughout the world that company has huge waiting periods for buyers. Buyers includes those who wants to have their fair share of history by buying it as well as those who are explorer and tourer.

Royal Enfield organizes Odyssey every year, a tough and demanding ride where Enfield owners the world over gather & forge eternal friendships, giving credence to its tagline, “the thump that binds.”.

Royal Enfield is exclusively distributed in the country by Hardcore Brothers Motorcycle Customs, Inc., with Anything Timber, Inc. as its dealer partner in Cebu.

Though already available in Philippines, now RE will be available officially and blending retro charm with modern technologies, the Royal Enfield motorbikes, such as the Continental GT Café Racer 535, the Classic Battle Green/Desert Storm, the Classic 500 and the Classic Chrome are all set to make distinct statements on roads of Philippines to

2879319_orig.jpg
Edited by David_LivinginTalisay