how much tip?

Porkchop

A_Simple_Man

What you will do is create an impression that all foreigners are rich and they like throwing money around.

Too late.  Its already done.  To the point where many restaurants add a service charge to their bills.  The logic is:  Since you want to throw your money at our staff then the management wants a cut too.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Monsoon

• HTM

• Kabisay-an gid

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought at the start you were asking about tipping service people like waiters and taxi drivers but I thing rather you're asking, not about tipping but paying for little services. Your wife seems t

You have no worries on that score!   Nobody would ever accuse you of deluding yourself.   

I'm the same way; haven't even touched a peso since maybe June.   Nothing to misplace. No math to think about.   Wouldn't have it any other way.   My kids receive tips when waiting tables in our

Posted Images

Britishandproud

What you will do is create an impression that all foreigners are rich and they like throwing money around.

Too late. Its already done. To the point where many restaurants add a service charge to their bills. The logic is: Since you want to throw your money at our staff then the management wants a cut too.

That's true, when I use to go out to like Pizza Hut, I was going to tip the waitress but my ex said no don't because they have already included a service charge. First time I ever heard of that charge.
ThomsonJr

Kanos are not expected to tip, don't know where you got that from. You can tip if you want, but if you don't want to then you don't have to. Maybe in the more upscale places where a meal for two will set you back at atleast 1000 pesos (in Cebu) you might want to give a little tip if the service was good.

Remember that this is not DK!
Personal attacks are not accepted!
No more warnings!
!!!

The two week millionaire syndrome never changes.

ThomsonJr

You have no worries on that score!

Nobody would ever accuse you of deluding yourself.    :yahoo:

I have enough to throw at you too, but since your main occupation in the Philippines is posting on this forum, you will do whatever it takes to appear like your right. So i'll just keep quiet and walk away now.

Things are not as simple as that no one gives tips, it depends on who we compare ourselves with.

Those who can afford to use taxi and go out to eat regularly give tip.
It is these we must compare ourselves with, not the majority who never can afford such a luxury.

We are rich!

• Like 1
bahalina buong

Don't worry, guys.  Tipping a few pesos for good service isn't going to make the country more expensive for foreigners.  It's the guys paying 2-3x as much as the locals for rentals, property, cold beers and women.  That's what will ruin it for everyone.

• Like 1
Kabisay-an gid

Personally I have a problem with the 10% service charge being added to the bill.  I think it takes the incentive away to give good service, why bother,  going to get that tip anyway and as another member mentioned, who really gets pockets the  money.  I do feel that great service should be rewarded and I do.  At the end of the day am I really going to miss that 50 or 100 pesos that I leave for the waiter, I doubt it.  On the other hand that waiter without a doubt can really use the money and it can make a difference to them.  I feel  a little better walking away leaving a nice surprise behind, they get to go home that evening with a little more jingle in their pocket.  Everyone has a little better day.

Like it or not, it's a common practice around the world. I'm not defending the practice, but that's just the way it is.

C'est la vie!

I was in several European countries in the 1970's and 80's, and service charges included in the bill weren't uncommon, and even back then were frequently more than 10%.

If I get hit with a service charge in the Phils,  I'm certainly not going to give a tip in addition to that.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid