how much tip?

Porkchop

ellenbrook2001

my way a always give 20 too 50 p all depends the situation ,if the taxi driver hes an asshole he got nothing? if the service in the restaurant hes slack a give nothing also ? all depends the attitude of the PINOY i am always very polite very good manner then expect the same if not bad luck no tip ,even i am a alien here a expect respect .

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Monsoon

• HTM

• Kabisay-an gid

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought at the start you were asking about tipping service people like waiters and taxi drivers but I thing rather you're asking, not about tipping but paying for little services. Your wife seems t

You have no worries on that score!   Nobody would ever accuse you of deluding yourself.   

I'm the same way; haven't even touched a peso since maybe June.   Nothing to misplace. No math to think about.   Wouldn't have it any other way.   My kids receive tips when waiting tables in our

Posted Images

Locals don't tip in restaurants.  They usually leave the change on the table.

When riding cabs, they round up to the nearest 10.

Food delivery already has service charge or delivery charge.  Adding a tip on top of that will be too much.  The price they printed on the flyer is higher than the price posted on their menu.  I've asked a few delivery driver what they usually get, they said not everyone tips.  If they do, it's usually P20.

It's not the states.  Filipinos don't base their tips on the amount of purchase.

Places with a lot of foreigners such as hotels, airports, and resorts, expect big tips because tourists bring their tip culture with them, thus elevating expectations for everyone else.

Locals tip phone repair guys and cable guys.  It depends on how long they stayed there.  It's usually P100.

Tip your barber if he's your regular.

udonthani

barbers I always tip - and just because, I am foreigner. The price to cut a man's hair is not big, in the Philippines. Even in Manila it is only 50 pesos, although I have never had my hair cut in Manila. In the province now it is 30. It used to be 20. Whippy is really nice so gives them 50. And barbershops, are not like hotels. You can be reasonably confident, the man will receive, the extra money.

The four garbage men here get 2 packs cigarettes a week, and  I give them food baskets for Christmas and Holy Week. Food 400 for Christmas and 200 Holy Week to each of them. (they also have free vitamins)
They drive all the way to the gate and get everything I have of trash I do not do anything. (this is worth a lot for me)

The mailman gets 200 for Christmas the same to the paperboy and the guards at my daughter's school. (or 5 kg rice)

I try as much as possible not to spread the American tipping culture when traveling to places where it is not already part of the culture.

Most of the tips I give in the Philippines are for things that my wife would have tipped for before she met me and they are usually small... 5 pesos for a guy that helps us park in a busy or tight spot for example.

When we go dining out. 

First time in many restaurants we not leave a tip. For a reason often being their service.   If we do go back there to dine again, we will tip.

We go back again and staff starting to recognise us as being locals , we tip but never no more than 10%

Some cheaper regular eateries we never tip and we always get friendly service as they happy  to see us back dining there again as any restaurateur would.

My guess tipping % has got some to do with tippers finances but at times more to do with expectations for service, quality of food and

often in company one is dining with. 

Edited by Hy H

The local barber near my inlaws place is somebody that I do tip even if most Filipinos probably don't.

He buys a new razor blade for my haircut and/or shave which I like because used dull blades can be painful to me.

My first ever straight razor shave in the Philippines was done with a dull blade... it felt like many of the hairs were being pulled out instead of cut.

The local barber near my inlaws place is somebody that I do tip even if most Filipinos probably don't.

Barbers, manicurists and hair dressers in the RP often don't get a salary or at  best only a small one but are given a place within an establishment to ply their trade.

The norm for locals and foreigners, rich and poor alike is to hand such people a tip, it's almost mandatory.

I have been told by a couple of these service providers however that Muslims never tip for anything.

KonC

• Like 1

I tip hotel staff, everyday I leave my hotel room I leave 10 pesos on the pillow and always have a very clean room and my things not gone thru or stolen. I don't use porters at all and always tip my waitress 10% unless it is already added. I also tip security guards 50 pesos to watch my car.

Tip your barber, or these will be used for your next shave...

My father inlaw has his facial hair pulled out with tweezers. My wife said that her and her sisters used to do it for him. I could not stand to have all of my facial hair plucked 1 at a time.

• Like 1

total moron that doesn't even realise that foreigners can be in the Philippines, for months on end, without bothering to turn up in any restaurant where there is waiters or waitresses and yet still manage, to eat just fine.

INSULTS? what up? just because I did not mention places where there is no wait-staff doesn't mean IDK about these places. DUH-mee! YOU eat there, I choose not to. So, the moron is the guy starin back at you from the mirror, look familiar? I did not think so.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

thanks for the correction...do you provide this service, free of charge to everyone here?

No but ive used them from time to time. 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I enjoy going for  a shave and I always take care of them. Afterall they are putting a straight razer to my neck.

They along with massage people are typically on 'commission' - they get paid by how much they work. 

Kabisay-an gid

People just don't tip. Nobody ever tips barbers, or bartenders, or taxi drivers, or cleaners.

Locals don't tip in restaurants.  They usually leave the change on the table.

When riding cabs, they round up to the nearest 10.

Agent17 is correct, and as is frequently the case, Whippy is wrong.

Both my Filipina and her brother told me that when paying a taxi driver, a Filipino will typically round up to the nearest 10 pesos as a small tip. That doesn't mean ALL Filipinos do it, the key word here being TYPICALLY. Some can't afford anything extra and some are just cheapskates, but many will round up.

If the cab fare comes to 214 pesos, they'll pay 220, etc.