how much tip?

Porkchop

A_Simple_Man

I was told by an average Filipino 24 yr. old that the average Filipino doesn't even leave a tip.

We've all been told by 24 year old filipinas, but mine is better than average.  Point is they haven't a clue about tipping and it seems, neither do you.

• Like 1
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• HTM

• Monsoon

• Wrye83

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought at the start you were asking about tipping service people like waiters and taxi drivers but I thing rather you're asking, not about tipping but paying for little services. Your wife seems t

You have no worries on that score!   Nobody would ever accuse you of deluding yourself.   

I'm the same way; haven't even touched a peso since maybe June.   Nothing to misplace. No math to think about.   Wouldn't have it any other way.   My kids receive tips when waiting tables in our

Posted Images

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

In airports, I carry my own luggage, so no skycab (in the west) or others here.

FYI - its skycaP,

• Like 1

When I got off the plane in July 2010 I gave my wife to be all the cash I had and to this day I don't carry any, unless I am going to buy a cup of coffee or some such thing - my wife keeps track of the Cash Transactions and in the last three years no one has complained. Lately when the kids come up to beg, I turn my pockets inside out - they look at me, laugh and move on to other Kanos

At Restaurants I used to put down 15-20%, but every tab I have gotten while in this country, 10% Service Fee is already added, my wife will add 50 pesos cash after I have signed the CC tab.

Some Taxi Drivers don't like entering our Barrio. My wife used to argue with them, I told to ask for a receipt so we could turn them in - they whine, but drive into the Barrio.

We are having Construction done on our home - We have two employees from Leyte - the Skilled worker makes 400/Day, the Unskilled 250. Because they are from Leyte, we feed them, and provide them space to sleep on the construction One of my brother-in-laws is working on the project - he is a certified electrician so he gets 400/Day, (Yes Smokey they have their own tools).

My wife has a reputation in our neighborhood - even before I showed up, of being a fair wage payer, but one with high expectations -

...... I think I'll do the same when out on the streets or at the airport. Just let my wife deal with them who is a local herself.

FYI - its skycaP,

thanks for the correction...do you provide this service, free of charge to everyone here?

I was told by an average Filipino 24 yr. old that the average Filipino doesn't even leave a tip. and if they ever do it is 10% MAXIMUM.

A average Filipino is poor!, poor people can't pay tip.

In my experience, a 24 year old knows very little about what is common and normal here, there are of course exceptions.

Kabisay-an gid

In restaurants, Filipinos typically don't tip. So why should you? They do tip for the small and sometimes annoying services (bag carrying, groceries etc), but believe me, we are talking 5 peso here 10 peso there, 20 on a good day. I have watched multi-multi-multi millionaire Filipinos personally hand a waiter a 100 pesos or maybe 200 pesos (where dinner was at least 20k) in a private room, chinese style dining. And they fell  all over him with grace. 

Service charge is very common in Metro Manila and in those cases I leave the coins behind. You have to watch this however, because they are getting wise to that and sometimes I get 150 - 200 in coins. 

Tips are only expected from Foreigners in a dining environment. They are ecstatic when a Filipino gives them one, and should be when a Kano does as well. Unfortunately too many train them to be otherwise. 

For those who don't know me, I am far from kuripot. I used to tip in the Philippines - but watched how Filipinos with money do it and followed suit. Oh, you get better service do you? Well, I used to tip big in my green horn days, and now I go back to one of my old hang outs and guess what? After 2 years of not tipping more than a coin or two if I don't use my credit card and I get the same service, same warm welcome, same first class treatment. 

As for airport 'porters' I just find them annoying and don't use them. I am a seasoned traveler and can haul my own stuff. The boat porters are a mafia and part of the reason tourists are annoyed with the Philippines. Their predatorial approach turns people off. Especially places like Dumaguete port. Again, I'm no kuripot, I was in MCO a couple months ago and ended up acquiring too much shit along the way and couldn't be bothered to haul my everything from the rental car return to the check in. I gave the porter $25 to do so. But there is a case of when in Rome. 

You lose respect when you tip more than a token tip for extraordinary service in the Philippines.

I eat out 80% of the time. 

Filipinos typically don't tip, because typically Filipinos are poor. Many can't afford to.

Since I'm not poor, and understand that a Filipino waitress/waiter probably has hungry mouths to feed at home, I like to help them out with a tip. If the service is lousy, no tip. If the service is adequate or better, 10%.

I agree completely that one should not leave an extravagant tip, but 10% is fair and affordable, and many of them really do need and appreciate the bit of extra money. 15% is standard in American restaurants, so it's not like I'm doing anything out of the ordinary by giving them 10%.

• Like 1

People for the most part do not seem to complain about the 10% service charge added in quite a few restaurants, then I wonder why when there is no service charge added and we get great service in other restaurants that some do not like to tip? In countries where there is a no tipping policy I am told that waiters and waitresses get pretty good salaries, if that was the case in the Philippines then I would also prefer to not have to tip. I wonder how long it is before more restaurants in the Philippines add the 10% service charge which is SUPPOSED to go to the staff but does it.  :unsure:

udonthani

Filipinos typically don't tip, because typically Filipinos are poor. Many can't afford to.

most Filipinos have never, or almost never eaten in a restaurant, or ridden in a car taxi anyway. They are too too poor to do even that, never mind tip somebody once they are in there.  And you are missing the point anyway.

whether somebody is rich, or poor does not really matter. What matters, is if there is a tipping culture in especially the country - that it is the most important - but also the kind of establishment you are in. 

in the Philippines, in common with most countries in the world and also with all the south east Asian ones I know of, there is no tipping culture really worth mentioning. People just don't tip. Nobody ever tips barbers, or bartenders, or taxi drivers, or cleaners. Just sometimes, rarely, there are higher end establishments where yes some tipping might take place. But it is not anything like, the norm.

Edited by udonthani
softail

Personally I have a problem with the 10% service charge being added to the bill.  I think it takes the incentive away to give good service, why bother,  going to get that tip anyway and as another member mentioned, who really gets pockets the  money.  I do feel that great service should be rewarded and I do.  At the end of the day am I really going to miss that 50 or 100 pesos that I leave for the waiter, I doubt it.  On the other hand that waiter without a doubt can really use the money and it can make a difference to them.  I feel  a little better walking away leaving a nice surprise behind, they get to go home that evening with a little more jingle in their pocket.  Everyone has a little better day.

Doug

udonthani

but you must know that if you are leaving as much money as 100 pesos for a tip then the line manager is going to want that. In lower-scale pension houses I am ok with leaving 20 pesos on the table. But I would not do that in a higher scale hotel when yes it might be 50 or 100 pesos where foreigners who tip might commonly stay. If it is a place where foreigners and especially Americans go, then they are going to know that many hundreds or even thousands of pesos might be getting dropped every day, as tips. And the management are not going to want the serve staff to have it. They are going to want it. When I tip a cleaner in a higher end hotel I do not leave the money on the table like I would in a pension house because I know that the manager might get it. I sniff them out beforehand and give it to them myself.

udonthani

I sniff them out beforehand and give it to them myself.

and I'm also discreet about it and try to give it them in a place where we are not observed.

because I know how bad Filipino employers are. They are more than capable of saying to the cleaner we saw the foreigner giving you 50 pesos. Hand it over, now.

and on top of that, they might even fine them and dock their wages. Total bastards.

• Like 1
softail

I sniff them out beforehand and give it to them myself.

and I'm also discreet about it and try to give it them in a place where we are not observed.

because I know how bad Filipino employers are. They are more than capable of saying to the cleaner we saw the foreigner giving you 50 pesos. Hand it over, now.

and on top of that, they might even fine them and dock their wages. Total bastards.

You might have a point there.  Here in the US I was shopping at a Korean grocery store  Hmart, it was raining really hard and the cart boy helped us load our things into the car, I gave him $5 for being so helpful, the manager saw it and I personally saw him grab the money out of his hand. I have never shopped there again.  

Doug

udonthani

yup it is shocking isn't it. It is only $5. In the United States. In the Philippines 50 pesos is worth more than $5 at local rates, a 50 peso bill is worth more to a Filipino than a $5 dollar bill is to most Americans, though it is probably not, as much as much as $10. It is more like $8.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

how much to tip

however much you want

udonthani

it is no good tipping somebody 200 in the hotel lobby publicly as you are about to get into your departing taxi when the person who has provided the service you liked, is not even going to get 1 peso of it is there?