how much tip?

Porkchop

BossHog

to this day I don't carry any, unless I am going to buy a cup of coffee or some such thing

I'm the same way; haven't even touched a peso since maybe June.

Nothing to misplace. No math to think about.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

My kids receive tips when waiting tables in our pizza place. The tourists usually give 20-100 pesos.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 2
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• HTM

• Monsoon

• Wrye83

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought at the start you were asking about tipping service people like waiters and taxi drivers but I thing rather you're asking, not about tipping but paying for little services. Your wife seems t

You have no worries on that score!   Nobody would ever accuse you of deluding yourself.   

I'm the same way; haven't even touched a peso since maybe June.   Nothing to misplace. No math to think about.   Wouldn't have it any other way.   My kids receive tips when waiting tables in our

Posted Images

A_Simple_Man

Porters at the airports and ferry terminals get unusually large tips.  In some ferry terminals there is even a sign on the wall to tell you how much to tip.  I'm not sure why but I have taken note that others, filipino and foreigners alike, are giving large tips to porters.  I got the impression that it is not so much considered a tip as a 'voluntary fee?'

Kabisay-an gid

Luggage loader - 20 P

Cart pusher - 20 P

Trash dragger - 20 P

Laundry washer - 150 P

Restaurant waiter - 10%

Cab driver - 10%

• Like 2
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

In restaurants, Filipinos typically don't tip. So why should you? They do tip for the small and sometimes annoying services (bag carrying, groceries etc), but believe me, we are talking 5 peso here 10 peso there, 20 on a good day. I have watched multi-multi-multi millionaire Filipinos personally hand a waiter a 100 pesos or maybe 200 pesos (where dinner was at least 20k) in a private room, chinese style dining. And they fell  all over him with grace. 

Service charge is very common in Metro Manila and in those cases I leave the coins behind. You have to watch this however, because they are getting wise to that and sometimes I get 150 - 200 in coins. 

Tips are only expected from Foreigners in a dining environment. They are ecstatic when a Filipino gives them one, and should be when a Kano does as well. Unfortunately too many train them to be otherwise. 

For those who don't know me, I am far from kuripot. I used to tip in the Philippines - but watched how Filipinos with money do it and followed suit. Oh, you get better service do you? Well, I used to tip big in my green horn days, and now I go back to one of my old hang outs and guess what? After 2 years of not tipping more than a coin or two if I don't use my credit card and I get the same service, same warm welcome, same first class treatment. 

As for airport 'porters' I just find them annoying and don't use them. I am a seasoned traveler and can haul my own stuff. The boat porters are a mafia and part of the reason tourists are annoyed with the Philippines. Their predatorial approach turns people off. Especially places like Dumaguete port. Again, I'm no kuripot, I was in MCO a couple months ago and ended up acquiring too much shit along the way and couldn't be bothered to haul my everything from the rental car return to the check in. I gave the porter $25 to do so. But there is a case of when in Rome. 

You lose respect when you tip more than a token tip for extraordinary service in the Philippines.

I eat out 80% of the time. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 2
udonthani

it is not a tip. That is a porter's fixed rate, of pay.

Porters at the airports and ferry terminals get unusually large tips.  In some ferry terminals there is even a sign on the wall to tell you how much to tip. 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Taxi drivers do not expect a tip. You are creating something there that does not exist in Filipino society. In fact, I often see Filipinos pay close to the meter but under. i.e. 203.80 pesos on the meter they will give 200 and say, "pwede kuya, walang baria." Or they wont say anything at all, and neither does the driver. It works the other way too when the meter comes to 198, nobody waits for the 2 peso. 

udonthani

Monsoon is right here there is just no tipping culture at all in the Philippines. When you do tip, you just leave a little of change. All this, 'ooh shall I leave 10%, 15%, 20% or what?' stuff is total garbage - for the birds.

in fact there is hardly any tipping culture anywhere in the world that compares to the US, which is a place that last time I looked, only represents about 4% of humanity.

now I know why sometimes I'm in a bar in the Philippines, make to pay my bill, and there is some Filipino asking me for 'tip! tip!'

it is because one of the idiot respondents on this thread was in there a couple of days before me, and decided to leave a day's or half a days' wages as a tip because they wanted to play the part of the wise, all powerful beneficient foreigner in the I AM FOREIGNER IN THE PHILIPPINES movie.

Edited by udonthani

I dont tip taxis, and if he doesn't have the correct change, he loses, not me.  Nor do I tip in restaurants.  I don't tip anywhere anytime.  Excepting where the service provided is above and beyond expected.  In 6 years here, I'm still waiting for that miraculous event to occur.

udonthani

I do tip more than Filipinos would but not compared to some of these previous respondents who let's call a spade a spade are probably all Americans.

for example I usually leave 20 pesos or some coins for a cleaner to find when I check out of a pension. Not every day. But only when I check out, whether I have stayed there for one day, or ten days. When a girl is there, every single time as we are about to leave, she says hey you left 20 pesos on the table. And I have to explain that is a tip, for the cleaner. And that is the first time she ever realised, that somebody could possibly want, to do such a thing.

Tipping? Isn't it a city in China?

I lived in China for over 9 years. There you don't tip!! Wait staff, taxi drivers, service workers are insulted if you tip them. Waitresses think you are trying to get in their pants and will chase you up the street if you leave any money on the table for them !!

So I got in the habit of not tipping.

My wife here will suggest a p 20 at a restaurant if the service is very good. But that is a rare occasion.

Beggars are a different story...I usually give them change and for major holidays...Christmas, Easter, etc, I get a couple hundred pesos in 5 and 10 coins and give them out to all the beggars I see. The rest of the year, I give burgers, cookies or small bags of chips or nuts to the kids.

In airports, I carry my own luggage, so no skycab (in the west) or others here.

p 20 at a restaurant if the service is very good. But that is a rare occasion.

?

If I do not get good service I complain.
The worst service here is in my opinion at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf SM.
There I do not give 5 sentavos, they have this buzzzzer and you must pick up your purchase.

• Like 1

I was told by an average Filipino 24 yr. old that the average Filipino doesn't even leave a tip. and if they ever do it is 10% MAXIMUM. When I frequent "better' restaurants" where I am known I tip 20-25% on a P1,000 check and when they see me walk in the waiters fight over who will be serving my table.

I do tip more than Filipinos would but not compared to some of these previous respondents who let's call a spade a spade are probably all Americans.

for example I usually leave 20 pesos or some coins for a cleaner to find when I check out of a pension. Not every day. But only when I check out, whether I have stayed there for one day, or ten days. When a girl is there, every single time as we are about to leave, she says hey you left 20 pesos on the table. And I have to explain that is a tip, for the cleaner. And that is the first time she ever realised, that somebody could possibly want, to do such a thing.

as long as we're calling Spades Spades: it is usually some tight wad/cheap ass Brit that stiffs the starving waiters and doesn't leave a tip. Just because "they don't do it" in Europe. The cheap fecks do not realize that while they stuff their faces with a big meal that the wait staff is making something along the lines of starvation wages and would appreciate it if he left even a 10% tip on the table. IDC what anyone says, unless I am in China or a place where tipping is forbidden, I will never not leave a tip on a table as I never expect someone to work for nothing, especially to serve me a meal. Filipino's also know that Americans tip and so when a white guy in the filippines doesn't leave a tip it is always a cheap ass AMERICAN that did not leave a tip.
Davaoeno

I was told by an average Filipino 24 yr.

what is an average filipino 24 years ?     Is it something like an average 58 year old Swede ?

• Like 2
udonthani

as long as we're calling Spades Spades: it is usually some tight wad/cheap ass Brit that stiffs the starving waiters and doesn't leave a tip. Just because "they don't do it" in Europe. The cheap fecks do not realize that while they stuff their faces with a big meal that the wait staff is making something along the lines of starvation wages and would appreciate it if he left even a 10% tip on the table. IDC what anyone says, unless I am in China or a place where tipping is forbidden, I will never not leave a tip on a table as I never expect someone to work for nothing, especially to serve me a meal. Filipino's also know that Americans tip and so when a white guy in the filippines doesn't leave a tip it is always a cheap ass AMERICAN that did not leave a tip.

total moron that doesn't even realise that foreigners can be in the Philippines, for months on end, without bothering to turn up in any restaurant where there is waiters or waitresses and yet still manage, to eat just fine.

Edited by udonthani
  • Like 1