how much tip?

Porkchop

I tried to search the forum but couldnt find any info. 

How much do you tip people doing things.

This guy ran up to me in mid load and loaded my bags at the air port.  I gave him a big fat 20.  He unrolled it and looked at it as if there was another 20 hiddin inside. 

Then he kept calling mam.. mam to my wife but she didnt hear becuase she was chica chica with her friends. 

Few minutes she gave a guy 50 for pushing our luggage cart.  She said she tipped to much. Thats why I gave the guy 20.. plus thats how much it cost to ride the shuttle so I am learning a concept on how mich things are.

Later I told her the guy was asking her for more and I and gave him 20.. she said you gave him 20 only?? So i guess 30 or 40 is the magic number??

We had her sister in laws sister.. wash our clothes.  My wife asked me how much we should give her.. I said 1000.. she said no way.. thats way to much.. I told her I have no idea at all.. Im the 20peso tipper.     She also gave a boy 150 to drag 4 boxes of trash down the street.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Monsoon

• HTM

• Kabisay-an gid

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought at the start you were asking about tipping service people like waiters and taxi drivers but I thing rather you're asking, not about tipping but paying for little services. Your wife seems t

You have no worries on that score!   Nobody would ever accuse you of deluding yourself.   

I'm the same way; haven't even touched a peso since maybe June.   Nothing to misplace. No math to think about.   Wouldn't have it any other way.   My kids receive tips when waiting tables in our

Posted Images

I thought at the start you were asking about tipping service people like waiters and taxi drivers but I thing rather you're asking, not about tipping but paying for little services.

Your wife seems to be all over the place,

150 pesos to take the trash out? Only if it took half a day or so.

50 for pushing a luggage cart????????? Wow, I wish I worked for her.

I mostly carry my own stuff on and off ferries but if I have something I need a boy to carry he gets 20 and likes it.

I have seen signs at ferry terminals that say 5 pesos per item but that was a few years ago.

KonC

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

i agree 20p is a good tip for the guys assisting at terminals. restaurant-wise i usually still tip like in the USA...15% and maybe more if the person really was cheerful and did nice work. it's not like we eat out every day so it don't add up to that much.

• Like 1

I only tip the taxi driver 15% if he is not an A hole

Having lived in Manila a while not many taxi drivers qualify for that tip

• Like 1

i agree 20p is a good tip for the guys assisting at terminals. restaurant-wise i usually still tip like in the USA...15% and maybe more if the person really was cheerful and did nice work. it's not like we eat out every day so it don't add up to that much.

I like to tip when eating out but my misus goes nuts and always insists that she pays the bill from MY wallet so I guess they don,t get very much lol 

I usually give 10 percent of the bill. If the service was bad or the girl was not smart enough to bring me small change to leave a tip I leave nothing. Tipping taxis just depends on the amount of small change I have on hand. For small menial tasks I have a helper, her tip is to shut up and do her job and wait for Christmas for that 13 month pay. Parking boys, cart pushers, and so on will likely get 5-10 pesos for a couple minute job.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Great question. I've noticed in restaurants that Filipinos don't usually tip, but it seems that a Kano is expected to tip. As for tipping in a restaurant proportionate to the service, well if that was the case, I would hardly ever need to tip. I've had old-timer expats tell me that tipping too much will ruin the status quo. We always tip service personnel at restaurants. As for tipping people for other type services, I defer to my SO who seems to have a grasp of what is normal and fair. It's always less than I would have thought.

It's been explained to me that most unskilled laborers make around P250-P300 a day. Using this logic, paying P20 for a few minutes of work would seem adequate. When the plummer or electrician does skilled work which is less than an hour, she usually gives them P200. My SO also gives tip to government personnel whenever she is happy with their service. Usually around P50-P100.

I once gave a young beggar a few centavo coins and he cursed me and threw them on the ground.

Edited by Salty Dog

Unskilled labor making 300 a day? Maybe in cebu and manila. I'd say 120 - 150 everywhere else.

SkyMan

My SO also gives tip to government personnel whenever she is happy with their service. Usually around P50-P100.

The LTO guy (actual LTO employee, not a fixer) gets p100 for handling registrations for me because I want him to do it again and again.  But other than that I don't see tipping gov't employees.

I once gave a young beggar a few centavo coins and he cursed me and threw them on the ground.

I keep some packs of SkyFlakes in my truck for the kids.  They seem appreciated and usually eat them right there.  I tend to give a few coins to the adults that look in need like they're missing an arm or something.  A pregnant lady with a couple kids came by the carenderia I was at and I didn't give her money but told the waitress she had I think p40 credit from me and they had rice and some isda'ng sabao and ginaling.

btw Ginaling mixed with rice and tobacco sauce is a pretty good local dish.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Unskilled labor making 300 a day? Maybe in cebu and manila. I'd say 120 - 150 everywhere else.

Maybe I have the wrong idea of unskilled. I consider people at Jollee Bees, Lee Plaza, Robinsons, McDonalds, Cangs etc to be unskilled. Sure they need to learn skills for their job, but I think of skilled as meaning some one who does a trade like plummer, electrician, aircon repair, auto repair and so on.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I keep some packs of SkyFlakes in my truck for the kids.  They seem appreciated and usually eat them right there.  I tend to give a few coins to the adults that look in need like they're missing an arm or something.  A pregnant lady with a couple kids came by the carenderia I was at and I didn't give her money but told the waitress she had I think p40 credit from me and they had rice and some isda'ng sabao and ginaling.

Good idea. I use to buy some McDonald's hamburgers at 4 for P100 and give them to the young children in the streets outside. You right in that they ate them right away and seemed to love them. I guess you have to consider that they would never buy a McDonald's hamburger themselves, since they could get a lot more rice and local food for the same price.

My SO would always take leftovers from the restaurant and give them to children or the guy who was watching our motorcycle. Sometimes she even buys a little snack for a guard who was friendly to us.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

Maybe I have the wrong idea of unskilled. I consider people at Jollee Bees, Lee Plaza, Robinsons, McDonalds, Cangs etc to be unskilled. Sure they need to learn skills for their job, but I think of skilled as meaning some one who does a trade like plummer, electrician, aircon repair, auto repair and so on.

That's on part with my definition.

Good idea. I use to buy some McDonald's hamburgers at 4 for P100 and give them to the young children in the streets outside. You right in that they ate them right away and seemed to love them. I guess you have to consider that they would never buy a McDonald's hamburger themselves, since they could get a lot more rice and local food for the same price.

My SO would always take leftovers from the restaurant and give them to children or the guy who was watching our motorcycle. Sometimes she even buys a little snack for a guard who was friendly to us.

While in olongapo I once had a homeless kid throw the burger back at me and say "money only". In Cebu I had a pregnant beggar throw 3 pesos back at me and say "I only accept 5 pesos" (3 pesos was all the change I had). Freaking crazy some of these people are. I go out of my way to avoid them when possible, never know what these people will do.

When I got off the plane in July 2010 I gave my wife to be all the cash I had and to this day I don't carry any, unless I am going to buy a cup of coffee or some such thing - my wife keeps track of the Cash Transactions and in the last three years no one has complained.  Lately when the kids come up to beg, I turn my pockets inside out - they look at me, laugh and move on to other Kanos 

At Restaurants I used to put down 15-20%, but every tab I have gotten while in this country, 10% Service Fee is already added, my wife will add 50 pesos cash after I have signed the CC tab.

Some Taxi Drivers don't like entering our Barrio.  My wife used to argue with them, I told to ask for a receipt so we could turn them in - they whine, but drive into the Barrio.

We are having Construction done on our home - We have two employees from Leyte - the Skilled worker makes 400/Day, the Unskilled 250.  Because they are from Leyte, we feed them, and provide them space to sleep on the construction  One of my brother-in-laws is working on the project - he is a certified electrician so he gets 400/Day, (Yes Smokey they have their own tools).

My wife has a reputation in our neighborhood - even before I showed up, of being a fair wage payer, but one with high expectations - 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

While in olongapo I once had a homeless kid throw the burger back at me and say "money only". In Cebu I had a pregnant beggar throw 3 pesos back at me and say "I only accept 5 pesos" (3 pesos was all the change I had). Freaking crazy some of these people are. I go out of my way to avoid them when possible, never know what these people will do.

Unbelievable. Obviously she accepted something that is even worth less, if she was pregnant and a beggar. 

Sydney homeless man makes $50,000 a year begging

THE hours are long and the work monotonous, but begging pays well for at least one of Sydney's homeless men who earns up to $50,000 a year from good samaritans.
Ken Johnson, 52, makes his living on busy George and Market St, outside the Myer store in Sydney's CBD, where he sits for up to 16 hours daily, seven days a week.
On a good day, he said, he takes in $400 from generous passers-by.