Sign in to follow this  
hyaku

Crime in your area?

hyaku

With all the how dangerous is it? Security necessities etc. I was wondering what exactly goes down in members areas. I am particularly interested to hear about provincial crime as it goes without saying that inner city crime is bound to be higher.

So here goes with my sleepy baragay where the biggest thing that usually happens is bingo.

Over the past few years:

The guy who did my copra keeps falling out with his neighbor. Well drunk he cut him up with a bolo. Knowing what he can really do with a bolo the cuts were not so severe.

Locals making fun of a neighbour who spends most of his days taking to himself. They kept knocking his door at night. He snapped and attacked his taunter with a coconut stripping tool. (Still locked up).

Four cousins drinking. One stabbed to death 23 times by his relatives. Still locked up but two would be released if they could afford to get them out.

Bus company attack: Happened here perhaps because the drivers live here. Firebomb attack, 2 buses destroyed, people shot.

Recent thefts of sack of rice and food from the police chief investigators sari sari (He only has bars at work) stolen bike for getaway abandoned. Culprits apprehended.

Edited by hyaku

BossHog

Had a chat with the local chief of police on Sunday morning.

He said 95% of everything they have dealt with this year has been domestic violence resulting from alcohol consumption.

The remaining 5% involved disputes over people stealing coconuts.

There was a murder last year in the town gymnasium during a PTA party. Guy gut his skull cleaved by a machete in front of a few hundred kids. Nice.

GoHuk

I live in what is euphemistically called a 'gated subdivision' in southern Metro Manila.  Since living here we average about one violent death a year: the most recent was the shooting of a car driver as he parked outside a local vendor and the one before that was a double murder, someone is though to have followed the couple home, knifed and robbed them.

Reported robberies are fairly frequent but I don't think many of these are 'dangerous'.  I suspect some of these robberies are insurance scams or manufactured excuses for not paying something or delaying a payment.

There is an occasional street fight prompted by a traffic incident or by alcohol.

To put all this in perspective there are approximately 8,000 lots in the subdivision of which say 5,500 are developed.

The incidence of violent crime is higher outside the subdivision on the public roads.  Armed robberies of jeepney passengers seem the most prevalent.

Edited by GoHuk

KennyF

Had a chat with the local chief of police on Sunday morning.

He said 95% of everything they have dealt with this year has been domestic violence resulting from alcohol consumption.

The remaining 5% involved disputes over people stealing coconuts.

There was a murder last year in the town gymnasium during a PTA party. Guy gut his skull cleaved by a machete in front of a few hundred kids. Nice.

Same here on Camiguin island.

But the locals are forever suing each other for really dumb reasons, mostly stemming from lost 'face'.

KonC

JamesMusslewhite

Surigao City has the usual among the locals drunken brawls and killings, burglaries, drug gang/ dealer violence. As far as expats there was a Canadian murdered last year and a few years before that there was a German stabbed to death during a robbery. Most expat deaths here have been alcohol/drug abuse related. Very safe for expats here for the most part with the use of a minimum amount of common sense.  

• Like 1

BlueFin

I think most general violence is alcohol related - not just domestic.

I have several "rules" I stick by to help increase my chances of safety and one of those is never drink with Pinoys (male).

To me they seem like most indigenous people who just can't' handle alcohol. They go bananas when drunk.

Exceptions to the drinking with Pinoy's rule is something like a nice establishment in a city - like Metro Walk in Manila, or a nice resto bar like M02 in Mandaue.

shadow

Very safe for expats here for the most part with the use of a minimum amount of common sense.  

:ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:

• Like 1

shadow

Almost nothing to report in this immediate area (Valencia). One expat keeps getting broken into, seems pretty obvious it's a neighbor. My doors have never had locks in the 9 years I have been here, and until just last year we did not even have a fence.

Dumaguete seems to have more than it's fair share of problems though. An 8 year old girl was raped and murdered a few months ago, police are without a clue... 9 guys robbed a pawnshop last week, caught one of them. Plenty of murders and such, expats included in "the city of gentle people". 

JasonEcos

It depends on the deifnition of your "area". I'm on Mactan, I'm sure theres a ton of crime I don't hear about. But in my immediate neighborhood (a few city blocks) theres not much. Had one guy chase another with a knife. Nobody harmed, they are still drinking buddies. A couple of breakins at businesses at night. A few breakins in homes..but the only ones I heard of happened prior to me moving to this area 2yrs ago. Some guy tried reaching through the bakeshop window across the street and grab the cash box. He received a sound beating by some locals that were watching him. The majority of the neighborhood is family so I think it keeps crime low.

A little further way (5min walk) in mercado Opon which I'm sure has its share of crime. The most memorable one for me was a few years back when some dude snapped and started stabbing random people. An officer shot him at the scene ending it.

Prior to this area I live a few miles up the road for a few years. More breakins, several shootings, a neighbor girl was stabbed about 100ft from our gate during a robbery (she refused to give up her purse). Overall a much less safe feel to the area, I think mostly due to some young punks living in the area.

panther

when I lived on mactan for 2 years someone got murdered nearly everyday usually always involved drink and friends killing friends when drunk ,seems the norm around there .now on the outskirts of bacolod city since february hardly heard anything about crime ,we got 2 shotbun wearing guards patrolling subdivision at night no inncidents so far. 

smokey

nada 

Wrye83

I've have had someone break into my place about once a month for the past 6 months. Stealing chicken and instant coffee. Occasionally he steals my gf's dresses and broken cell phones. (I've had an eye out for bayuts walking around town in her dresses). Leaves my laptop, expensive camera and gaming consoles. Once he stabbed my helper (she is fine now). No amount of razor wire, motion sensors and alarms have deterred him yet. Having cameras installed so I can identify and have the police take care of him. Must be a neighbor as he seems to always know when I'm gone.

Valencia, Negros Oriental. 10km from dumaguete, municipality population 20k.

I seem to hear about 2 or so foreigners being murdered per year and many more robbed by gunpoint in Dumaguete. Most go unsolved.

Wrye83

One expat keeps getting broken into, seems pretty obvious it's a neighbor.

And he's still at it. Ridiculous. I'm starting to suspect someone is leaving the door unlocked. Cough cough helper.

• Like 2

hyaku

I've have had someone break into my place about once a month for the past 6 months. Stealing chicken and instant coffee. Occasionally he steals my gf's dresses and broken cell phones. (I've had an eye out for bayuts walking around town in her dresses). Leaves my laptop, expensive camera and gaming consoles. Once he stabbed my helper (she is fine now). No amount of razor wire, motion sensors and alarms have deterred him yet. Having cameras installed so I can identify and have the police take care of him. Must be a neighbor as he seems to always know when I'm gone.

Valencia, Negros Oriental. 10km from dumaguete, municipality population 20k.

I seem to hear about 2 or so foreigners being murdered per yeyar and many more robbed by gunpoint in Dumaguete. Most go unsolved.

That's terrible. One would think a bit of texting would sort that one out. To be repetitive someone must know something.

Mine happened with 24 hours of leaving. His wife reported him to the barangay captain.

Edited by hyaku

JamesMusslewhite

:ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:

Yah, your probably right, if it was so common than why is it rarely ever seen in the real world? :biggrin_01:

• Like 1