My 13A application experience at the Mandaue BOI office

Since I recently posted a 13A question, I though that I would briefly recount my 13A application experience.  After my marriage was completed and the certificate was ready, I went to the Mandaue office to inquire about the 13A application.  The very nice lady at the window gave me blank photocopied application forms and a list of requirements.  After looking at the list of requirements, which included a “police clearance” from the US (in my case) I told her that such a document was difficult to get. She referred me upstairs to the attorney (a middle aged man whose name I do not remember). After I explained that getting such a document was difficult, he told me that there was a way around that requirement, but he didn’t tell me what that way was.  It was, quite frankly, a strange conversation. Maybe I did not really understand what he was trying to say. But there was definitely a way to avoid getting the police clearance from home… I just didn’t learn what that way was. So, I decided to just get the police clearance.  That will be the subject of another post as the twists and turns of that process were “instructive”, to say the least.  The last mistake I made in the police clearance process was having the damned thing sent to me here in LLC via FedEx.  For that info, you can check my (by now, not so) recent post on my in-coming FedEx experience. Anyway, will all the foreign and domestic paperwork I headed back to the BOI in Mandaue, brimming with confidence that I would soon not be paying for visa extensions (as an aside, I am still paying for visa extensions). Upon presenting all of my paperwork (in the approved brown folder, I might add) at the 13A window, I was quickly handed back the entire package with the explanation that the application form was unacceptable due to the poor quality of the photocopy.  Need I remind everyone that this was the same form that the same BOI person gave me earlier when I asked about 13A application? Well, by that time I had been in the PI long enough to just take it as it comes, so I asked for a new form, took the entire package home and filled out the new form again, in duplicate. Fast forward to the next day when I returned to the BOI. I had the new form completed and the form and all the paperwork listed on the BOI documents list were presented at the window. The package quickly came back to be with instructions to get multiple photocopies of this passport page and multiple photocopies of that passport page. I did as instructed, returned to the window, and the same thing happened again, only with different passport pages and forms substituted for photocopying. Once again, I did as instructed and, once again I was sent out for more photocopies.  Finally, after my third trip to the photocopy booth, which fortunately is next door (that says something about the importance of “location” in running a successful business!), I got the photocopy requirements right (which, by the way, were not the requirements that were on the BOI list, or perhaps it is impolite to mention that?). OK, I was feeling really good at that point as I had vanquished the 3 headed-photocopy beast and I was ready for my paperwork to be accepted….. Unfortunately, reality was not ready.  I was politely informed that I needed some kind of an “affidavit” attesting to something or other, that I can not remember. Anyway, the same people who own the photocopy shop probably own the law office right next door to the photocopy shop (one again, location!). I told them what I thought that I needed and they took care of it in short order. They typed something, printed it, I signed it, and they notarized it.  Finally, on my 5th trip to the 13A window my paperwork package was accepted and I was given a date (3 days later) for an interview……  And that was my 13A application experience. I can’t write the last chapter in this
saga as I am still waiting for my name to appear on the website list, hopefully with an “approved” in the appropriate column. I’ll let you all know about that when it happens (as I am sure that you are all interested!).  And soon I will write-up and post the saga of how I got my US police clearance, with notarization, and “duly authenticated by the Philippines consulate”.  That is probably the most instructive part for anyone who needs that document. 

Edited by Terrance
  • Like 3
tobster

you still need to have an interview yet and then the ID card so its safe to say more dramas yet. BTW I went thru some shit and that booth near the office really should be the first stop before going inside as they know what you need.

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

soon I will white-up

there are lots of beauty products for this... but you are probably white enough sweet heart :shit_stirrer:

peace :db::lol:

Duly noted and corrected. But, if advertising for skin products is any indication, nothing is ever "white" enough here!

• Like 1

Brings back memories of what I did. In addition to that the attorney interviewed us and had my wife write a detailed letter of how we met etc. etc. This was all submitted by him to Manila. He told me to watch for my name online. I then wondered why it never came up. They finally told me to come in as it had all been approved. Stamps, more copies, more money. Upstairs to Abdullah for the iCard. The stamp was provisional. I guess I was not online because it's only provisional. It will be interesting to find out what your requirements will be in year to go from provisional to full. Best of luck.

P.S. I thought you had to get your police clearance authenticated by your own Embassy

Hey, Tobster:   What? Another interview? Please elaborate.  I know about the card. I am just waiting for BOI "acceptance" before I go through the I-card mill..  But another interview?  really? 

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I could imagine what he meant by the way around the requirement.

Edited by Salty Dog

To Hyaku:  No, the "police clearance" being a foreign document, must be "duly authenticated" by the PI embassy in the issuing country (consulate). The US embassy has nothing to do with clearances of any type. Since my 13A will be provisional, am I to understand that my name will not appear online? The officer told me to look online for my name. Burt then, it is now more than one month past the BOI projected "implementation date", which is why I asked my original 13A question.  Should I go to BOI Mandaue and ask about this? 

Hey Salty Dog: I guess i was just too obtuse to understand what that lawyer was trying to say to me. I was focused on the words and trying to understand what I thought would be a "procedure".  I guess the "procedure" was a lot simpler than I imagined.  I should have listened to his meaning rather than to his words. 

Edited by Terrance
  • Like 1
tobster

Hey, Tobster:   What? Another interview? Please elaborate.  I know about the card. I am just waiting for BOI "acceptance" before I go through the I-card mill..  But another interview?  really? 

Maybe I read your post wrong if you had an interview then thats it. I put in my papers then had interview and then did Icard.

tobster

To Hyaku:  No, the "police clearance" being a foreign document, must be "duly authenticated" by the PI embassy in the issuing country (consulate). The US embassy has nothing to do with clearances of any type. Since my 13A will be provisional, am I to understand that my name will not appear online? The officer told me to look online for my name. Burt then, it is now more than one month past the BOI projected "implementation date", which is why I asked my original 13A question.  Should I go to BOI Mandaue and ask about this? 

My one didnt appear online neither did my icard

To Hyaku: No, the "police clearance" being a foreign document, must be "duly authenticated" by the PI embassy in the issuing country (consulate). The US embassy has nothing to do with clearances of any type. Since my 13A will be provisional, am I to understand that my name will not appear online? The officer told me to look online for my name. Burt then, it is now more than one month past the BOI projected "implementation date", which is why I asked my original 13A ppquestion. Should I go to BOI Mandaue and ask about this?

Thanks for info on authentication. Yes I should ask them. The atty texted me when it was approved. Call and ask for Atty Mancau, tech assistace. Thats probably the lady you spoke to. Mine was never online although they told me it would be.

Great thread as I will be crossing the same waters soon.  So hurry with your post please on getting your police clearance saga :)   ! 

Hyaku:  It was Attorney Mancau who told me to look online!  But, your advice is well taken.  I will go to the BOI in person to ask about my status. You and I both were told the same instruction (look online for your name) and it is looking like my name will not be online either.  Thanks for your input

Samatm: I will get that posted tomorrow.  If you need this paper, you can get it.  Read the thread and let me know if you have any questions. 

Edited by Terrance
  • Like 1

Since my 13A will be provisional, am I to understand that my name will not appear online?

No, your name should appear with "probationary" status when approved. Took a couple months for mine to show up. But, guess what? The BI site is down again. When you go back to turn in the paperwork be prepared to wait all day. I wish I had known that it would have saved a lot of needless frustration.