Passport Expiration

I think this topic has come up before, but I couldn't find it.

The Philippines will not allow you into the country, if your passport is set to expire within 6 months

Does anyone know if a US Embassy can provide a waiver to allow travel to the Philippines?

Thanks for your responses

Brucewayne

Apply for a passport renewal, as it is better to apply early rather than later if you know what I mean.

Edited by Brucewayne
  • Like 1
Nangulo

I know one guy who got his passport renewed same day ONLY because he had a ticket in-hand.  Seattle.  Not saying you should try this, but if your passport is under six months and you're scheduled to travel, take your ticket with you and see what your local branch can do for you.

udonthani

The Philippines will not allow you into the country, if your passport is set to expire within 6 months

it is unlikely you will even be allowed on the plane if your passport is less than 6 months. A couple of times I've behind people in the queue that had this problem. I don't know if they were able to resolve it or what. I doubt it.

another thing you have to be careful about is water damage. My passport got every so slightly water damaged enough for them to take a good look at it at check in in the UK going off to the Philippines last time. I mentioned it to the immigration guy coming back to the UK months later seeing as there wasn't a massive queue behind me, and he basically said if it so damaged they can't scan it anymore, you are done for and not getting on the plane.

miles-high

I believe the "6-months" requirements are for the temp visitors (tourists) only. The immigration officer has the discretionary powers ( ;)) to admit you when your passport is valid more than 60 days but less than 6 months, but the airline reps may not allow you to get on board the plane for any Philippine destination.

• Like 1
JasonEcos

As someone stated you can get an emergency renewal if your travel date is set soon. I think there is a bit of a fee but its not too bad.

Also as someone said, you may, or may not be allowed entry, or on the flight. It totally depends on who you walk to. In a reversal of your situation me and Hazel flew to Hong Kong yesterday and we failed to notice her passport was due to expire within 6months. PH immigration mentioned it and recommended us renewing it but the airlines and HK immigration had no problems with allowing entry.

Let me give a little bit more information, because I am not the one that has the issue.

I have (had) a friend visiting from the US.  He left Washington DC Sunday Afternoon on Korean Airlines, Stop over in Seoul with scheduled arrival in Manila for today 9/2 at 11 PM

At Dulles (DC) he was told that his Passport would expire within 6 months.  Apparently Korea doesn't have a problem with nearly expired Passports, because he was allowed to board the plane to Korea.  He was told in the US, that maybe the Embassy in Seoul could help him.  He has an appointment tomorrow at the Embassy - 

What do you think his chances are in getting a Wavier or a new Passport ASAP so he can get to the Philippines in the next day or two?

Thanks for all of your input so far

OK, 

The US Embassy in Seoul issued by friend a temporary Passport and he arrived in Manila Tuesday Night about 11PM.  We made arrangement for him to be picked up and delivered to his hotel and that happened.

Thanks for all your input and suggestions