Malaysian Ringgitt

msmith524

Anyone out there know where I can find a CEBU (or even Manila?) bank or exchange dollars to buy Malaysian Ringgitts?

I have to visit there and I hate using ATMs.

should have clarified, I will be arriving in Malaysia when everything is closed so I need to get some currency either Ringgits or small denomination dollars prior to leaving.

there will be money changers at both airports that will be open 24hrs,

You doi not say where in Malaysia as there are no monet exchnage open at Terminal 2 Kota Kinabalu in the wee small hours and taxi fare is set 45 ringit for the 10 minute journey into the old city.

If you need an ATM, HSBC have one direct on your right and slightly behind you as you come through the Arrival doors to the main area, sure saved the day for me!!at 2am with wife and two kids under age of 3!!

udonthani

which international Malaysian airport will you be arriving at, I would be very surprised indeed if any of the airports in Kuala Lumpur will not have forex facilities open at any time, day or night. Once years ago I did arrive at Kota Kinabalu from Bangkok late at night and that time, yes there was no forex shop open. But even at that time that was a one-off. I had to talk a taxi driver into accepting US dollars to get into town. But this was about 9 years ago and the airport itself was not even absolutely finished - it was like a building site. I would be surprised if there was no forex facilities there now. In KL you will have no trouble getting hold of ringgit.

taxi fare is set 45 ringit for the 10 minute journey into the old city.

what's old about it. Before about 1880, there was almost nothing there. It literally did not exist then as more than a village.  KK/Jesselton is a modern town and even then it was almost completely flattened in WW2. And a lot of it was done by the British when they razed it as they retreated. There are hardly any buildings there older than 50 years.The Clock Tower in the park where the museum is, is the oldest building still standing, in KK. But it only goes back, to 1905.

which international Malaysian airport will you be arriving at, I would be very surprised indeed if any of the airports in Kuala Lumpur will not have forex facilities open at any time, day or night. Once years ago I did arrive at Kota Kinabalu from Bangkok late at night and that time, yes there was no forex shop open. But even at that time that was a one-off. I had to talk a taxi driver into accepting US dollars to get into town. But this was about 9 years ago and the airport itself was not even absolutely finished - it was like a building site. I would be surprised if there was no forex facilities there now. In KL you will have no trouble getting hold of ringgit.

what's old about it. Before about 1880, there was almost nothing there. It literally did not exist then as more than a village.  KK/Jesselton is a modern town and even then it was almost completely flattened in WW2. And a lot of it was done by the British when they razed it as they retreated. There are hardly any buildings there older than 50 years.The Clock Tower in the park where the museum is, is the oldest building still standing, in KK. But it only goes back, to 1905.

You are mean to be the self appointed travel guru.

kota kinabalu is divided into old and new the new is built around the Lintas area and is directly available from terminal 1.  It is the white collar end of a small city.

The old town area is as you described as the Jesseltion area as KK was once called. Yes it was flattened and rebuilt block style. Trouble is not much more was done than that since then. Now Radisson and others are moving into that area as the old buildings come down and some of the roads are widened.

So to conclude the Lintas area is newer than the Jesselton area hence new and old or if you prefer downtown and up town, a case of pedantic semantics, no surprises there then.

Back to finance access, Anything to add for wee small arrivals? other than your charming personality that invites taxi drivers to drop their strides for you.

Equally there may not be an issue at all for the OP as he may not beheaded to KK

You can try the money exchange on the 3rd floor of Ayala, it's sort of tucked away in a corner with other business services. They seem to deal in all types of currencies but I've never liked the rates they give

Edited by gmb8585