Sign in to follow this  
mpt1947

Friend Coming for a Visit

mpt1947

We have a friend coming for a visit from the US - Where can I find a Restaurant Serves Good Steak, Prime Rib, or Ribs (Pork and or Beef)

Thanks, 

Tinbum

CasualDining_d60.png

David's Steak Seafood RestaurantCebu City
F. Cabahug St.Cebu City, Cebu(032) 231-0157
I had a steak here a few months back., it was good but as you would expect, pricey for Cebu.  

• Like 2

easy44

Good choice.

Nangulo

For ribs, nothing beats Casa Verde.  Lim Tian Teng St., off of F. Ramos, close to Robinson's Fuente.  032-253-6472

cebubird

Hey Mike--is this more a reason for you to engage in a good steak dinner-or for the friend?

Not trying to be a smart aleck, it's just that if I was visiting a friend in a foreign country, I would want him to take me to a nice place that featured that country's food.

jtmwatchbiz

Hey Mike--is this more a reason for you to engage in a good steak dinner-or for the friend?

Not trying to be a smart aleck, it's just that if I was visiting a friend in a foreign country, I would want him to take me to a nice place that featured that country's food.

he's right...simply pick up your friends at the airport and swing in a jollibee drive-thu and be done with it :)

seriously tho, i think David's steak house is an excellent suggestion and you may also try Olios in banilad and LaMaison Pink house in lahug.

enjoy!

• Like 2

SomeRandomGuy

The Ranch up past county mall in banilad is quiet good ( they have the philippines famous pineapple few beef) also Canvas in ayala is excellent also.

• Like 1

Monsoon

Casa Verde is like going to a waffle house for dinner. The food is decent, and good value for money. But I got the impression the OP was looking for someplace 'nice'. I like CV, don't get me wrong. And I agree, the original location is best - but its hit and miss and if you get a crappy cut of ribs you'll wish you went to Jollibee. The odds must be fairly decent to get a shitty slab as well, because I've had a few. 

Also - CV' ribs taste 'so good' to us at times because we probably haven't had anything like it in so long. CV's ribs would be laughed off the table in my house, but when I was in Cebu they were 'awesome' the first time, "Eh, OK, you can't beat the price" the second time and "WTF is wrong with the service here this shit sucks but is cheap" on subsequent visits.

Same with the "Dax" - but dude have some good food and go back there and the 'USDA Prime" (YEA RIGHT!) is borderline rancid sometimes, and its marinated to the MAX to cover up on the inferior quality. Not to mention, please teach the line cooks to properly bread and fry shrimp. Its NOT DIFFICULT!

And to top it off, it seems their prices are climbing last time I ate at the Ayala location it was 'same old same old' and more expensive, and the beer was 'Filipino cold' at best. And you had to just about pull the fire alarm to get the waiter to bring you another. 

Whats the name of the place on the hill (left side) going to Marco Polo? I forget, but at least you have some ambiance and the service was always good when I was there. Sorry, the name escapes me. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 2

Monsoon

The Ranch up past county mall in banilad is quiet good ( they have the philippines famous pineapple few beef) also Canvas in ayala is excellent also.

Sorry but Canvas is overpriced and trying to put on a show with their tough cuts of Ostrich and S&R beef... Pass.... 

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I am a foodie and I am so tired of people giving mediocrity undue credit in the Cebu food scene. Like the unmentionable irish pub. Rubbish!!!  

• Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

Im a foodie also and I have had their lamb shank their   best in the city.....  The ranch was my first pick for steak though...   as it is a steak house Canvas is more like a upper class Sydney resto        never had their steak their only their lamb and their salads   all which were good and the service was the best I have had here in cebu.

• Like 1

mpt1947

Both   :)

mpt1947

Casa Verde is like going to a waffle house for dinner. The food is decent, and good value for money. But I got the impression the OP was looking for someplace 'nice'. I like CV, don't get me wrong. And I agree, the original location is best - but its hit and miss and if you get a crappy cut of ribs you'll wish you went to Jollibee. The odds must be fairly decent to get a shitty slab as well, because I've had a few. 

Also - CV' ribs taste 'so good' to us at times because we probably haven't had anything like it in so long. CV's ribs would be laughed off the table in my house, but when I was in Cebu they were 'awesome' the first time, "Eh, OK, you can't beat the price" the second time and "WTF is wrong with the service here this shit sucks but is cheap" on subsequent visits.

Same with the "Dax" - but dude have some good food and go back there and the 'USDA Prime" (YEA RIGHT!) is borderline rancid sometimes, and its marinated to the MAX to cover up on the inferior quality. Not to mention, please teach the line cooks to properly bread and fry shrimp. Its NOT DIFFICULT!

And to top it off, it seems their prices are climbing last time I ate at the Ayala location it was 'same old same old' and more expensive, and the beer was 'Filipino cold' at best. And you had to just about pull the fire alarm to get the waiter to bring you another. 

Whats the name of the place on the hill (left side) going to Marco Polo? I forget, but at least you have some ambiance and the service was always good when I was there. Sorry, the name escapes me. 

Thank You excellent review.  Are you talking about Mr. T's?  Yes they are good too

mpt1947

Thank you gentlemen - very good  just what I was looking for 

Cebubird is correct - even though I have been here for three years - the only places I have gone for good beef is a place at Mall of Asia in Manila and a couple of restaurants in Hong Kong - he is a friend, not that good of a friend...  ;)

How about the hotels - Marco Polo, Radisson Blu, or any other recommendations?

I am not a drinker - Beer or otherwise - but my friend is - he drinks Heineken and like's them Cold

I think if we go for Ribs, it will be at the Mooon Cafe - small portions, but very tender 

Thanks again

Mike

SomeRandomGuy

If you haven't been to the ranch for one of their steaks  you are missing out... hell even mike rama eats there sometimes

• Like 1

mpt1947

If you haven't been to the ranch for one of their steaks  you are missing out... hell even mike rama eats there sometimes

Well my wife voted for Rama, so I guess that is a pretty good recommendation

jigsy

Anzani.

jtmwatchbiz

that's not saying much...Mike eats at our family's home often and i wouldn't want to criticize my inlaws cook but...

• Like 1

Salty Dog

Expensive, but my friend said the steak at TGIF is really good.

A_Simple_Man

One more vote for The Ranch.  James and Elvie, the owners, are real genuine people.  Good home cooking like your mother used to make if you are from the US.  Nothing pretentious or high falutin' about it, not like some of the other places mentioned.  Just good food, good people, and occasionally some entertainment.

smokey

i had a good steak at the restaurant on the second floor by the parking garage of Fiest Gasino  and it was only 350 peso 

dc3driver

Sorry but Canvas is overpriced and trying to put on a show with their tough cuts of Ostrich and S&R beef... Pass....

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I am a foodie and I am so tired of people giving mediocrity undue credit in the Cebu food scene. Like the unmentionable irish pub. Rubbish!!!

You mean it is Soooo bad it is unmentionable! There is an Irish pub by us in Talamban & it is ok.

towboat72

you really cant be serious about going to MOON CAFE for a good steak can you.

I think Jollibee would be better

• Like 1

mistaeric

I totally agree about the OVERATED casa verde restaurant! If a person craving BBQ ribs have NO other choice,then I would say give casa verde a shot. By the way the Ramos location service sucks!

• Like 2

mpt1947

you really cant be serious about going to MOON CAFE for a good steak can you.

I think Jollibee would be better

Not steak, ribs - I like the ribs at Mooon Cafe and based on the reviews I was getting on just the Ribs - why should a drive several miles to be disappointed, when I can walk to the Closest Cafe and no what I am getting?

Monsoon

Thank you gentlemen - very good just what I was looking for

Cebubird is correct - even though I have been here for three years - the only places I have gone for good beef is a place at Mall of Asia in Manila and a couple of restaurants in Hong Kong - he is a friend, not that good of a friend... ;)

How about the hotels - Marco Polo, Radisson Blu, or any other recommendations?

I am not a drinker - Beer or otherwise - but my friend is - he drinks Heineken and like's them Cold

I think if we go for Ribs, it will be at the Mooon Cafe - small portions, but very tender

Thanks again

Mike

I dont like Heineken but I would guess you can surely find it at the Marriot. As for all the major hotels call ahead and ask them what is on the buffet. Be aware though, Marco Polo calls any beef product prime rib and can be disappointing. The wine add on to the Marriott buffet is pretty good value of you are a thirsty group. Especially with the wine prices in.Cebu.

• Like 1