Sign in to follow this  
sheffieldmel

whole pig

sheffieldmel

my partner will be leaving with me for the uk in october and im planning a bit of a do at her sisters house, whenever ive been to anything like this they always seem to have the full pig on the table and everybody cuts into it. Can anybody give me a rough idea how much one of these would cost ?. i'll not be over there while the end of the month .

SomeRandomGuy

I got one last year for 5000 peso.    cooked and ready.

Then watched as everyone took the fat and skin and left almost the rest.

Was gagging and shaking my head the whole time

sheffieldmel

a couple of years ago i went to a birthday party and 2 guys nearly came to blows about getting the second ear

Jimone

We give my wife's brothers 4000 to buy a live pig and they kill and clean it, keeping the insides for there own and then cook it over a open pit turning it by hand. Done that a few times and always turned out good, the whole thing gets eaten so no waste, that is on Mactan so not sure about where you will be but I would run that past them first...

johnboy999

The figures the guys above have given are a pretty accurate guide. It does depend a little bit on the size of the pig also, the bigger ones cost a bit more, but as a guide 4-6000 will definitely cover everything. Cooking, delivery to the house, normally even includes the loan of a lechon tray for the pig to sit on too. If anyone wants more than 6K your definitely being charged kano tax and you should go elsewhere for your pig!

• Like 1

sheffieldmel

We give my wife's brothers 4000 to buy a live pig and they kill and clean it, keeping the insides for there own and then cook it over a open pit turning it by hand. Done that a few times and always turned out good, the whole thing gets eaten so no waste, that is on Mactan so not sure about where you will be but I would run that past them first...

we will be in the north in liloan i know all the shops round there but have never looked for this kind of thing

Jimone

we will be in the north in liloan i know all the shops round there but have never looked for this kind of thing

Just ask you'r partner's family, they will know where to get one from, there are pig breeders everywhere, best to leave it to them, if you trust them, I just wait in the car so no one knows there is  westerner involved so they get a better price..   

• Like 1

johnboy999

You won't find them in shops but as Jimone said there are lots of people with pig pens out the back of their houses who do this for additional income. Your partner or her family should know who has them but if not they should be able to find out soon enough who has one ready for next month

udonthani

just like anything else price tends to go up as demand increases. So they tend to cost more at Easter and Christmas when there are more returnee OFW's around who are odds on to buy at least one while are there. And these are of course the 'foreigners' that matter, there being millions of them rather than just thousands. Price can also go up locally when there is fiesta. Bank on it being between 3,500 and 5,500.

Woolf

Ayer lechon Cebu

with prices

http://www.ayerlechon.com/

thadzonline

The smaller pigs tastes better, you can get one as low as 3000 pesos. It shouldn't be hard to find a lechon vendor anywhere here.

hyaku

Lechon size? Depends how big you want it. 800 to cook. I just paid 5000 for a bigger one for the freezer. At a party yesterday I tasted the best one ever. Skin was not too crispy but the meat was so juicy. Maybe crisping it up dries the meat? I guess it depends also on the heat and distance from the fire.

OzGuy43

Filipinos love it crispy. They murder it and then murder it again whilst cooking! We bought a live pig last year in Mindanao for a party and it cost us 3800 Pesos. it was quite big at 45 kilos and was killed and cooked by my misses family. I never showed my face at all in this transaction and I suspect that is why we got a reasonable price.