What Should I Pack

USMC-Retired

USMC-Retired

Ok I leave in less then a week and want to know what I should put in the bags. You know the goodies your wife missed when she arrived. Suggestions?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T.S.

• Headshot

• Half Baked

• SomeRandomGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a figure of Santo Niño de Cebu

This how far I have fallen in my 6 1/2 years. I rather enjoy a Barkada Pepperoni pizza from Greenwhich. Her mother will not fit in my suit case but if she would she would be going. Her ex BF died a

I remember you saying you'll be moving to Sugar Land, TX. Being close to Houston, you wouldn't have a problem finding Filipino stores, so If I were you I wouldn't bother bringing those Filipino food m

jtmwatchbiz

some tagalog or bisaya movies, bulad wrapped in those plastic shrink wrap packages, oishi chips and crackers, ect. whatever is sealed and she likes is what i would pack. i'm sure she will be fine tho as it won't be too hard for her to round up groceries stateside that she can use to put together some Filipino style foods she enjoys. 

Dried fish, dried squid , hanging rice and lechon baboy.  but thinking customs might not approve....  

• Like 2
Chris24

Probably some locally purchased  corned beef and beef loaf, preferably in small cans that she can use as "comfort food" over rice.

tn-300x225.jpg

Oh, and the latest tsismis magazines;  Yes Magazine, Kris Aquino, etc., the glossier the better.

• Like 1

You may want to check on what sort of food items you can bring with you. I'm pretty sure unpackaged food like dried fish will not be allowed. Even some packaged items may have restrictions, but I'm not clear on that. I did have to have USA made baby food in unopened containers xrayed on a trip to the USA once. There may be candies that are hard to find, or certain types of flavorings.

It's been my experience that most larger cities around the world have an expat community of Filipinos who quickly identify themselves and welcome newcomers. These informal groups often have small "garage sale" type gatherings to include things like videos in local dialects and pinoy music DVDs and such. I ate more Philippino food in Seoul than I did when in Manila.

Have a safe trip.

You might do a goggle search of the area your moving into a find out about your local pinoy stores

Give them a call and ask about the availability of your favorite products

Might be a good opportunity for you to make a few bucks if the local stores are in search of specific products you can get your hands on--- I know my local store owner often times has to pay his family in the Philippines to acquire and ship him products he can't seem to order from the states

I think that you will have no problem finding the things you want but you might not be able to get the exact brand you are use too

Brucewayne

You may want to check on what sort of food items you can bring with you. I'm pretty sure unpackaged food like dried fish will not be allowed. Even some packaged items may have restrictions, but I'm not clear on that. I did have to have USA made baby food in unopened containers xrayed on a trip to the USA once. There may be candies that are hard to find, or certain types of flavorings.

It's been my experience that most larger cities around the world have an expat community of Filipinos who quickly identify themselves and welcome newcomers. These informal groups often have small "garage sale" type gatherings to include things like videos in local dialects and pinoy music DVDs and such. I ate more Philippino food in Seoul than I did when in Manila.

Have a safe trip.

Dried fish comes in a vacuum sealed plastic sack if you buy it at the grocery store.

One shouldn't trust home made food they buy from strangers, as they can't be taken across international borders legally and will probably be filled with EXTRA and unnecessary bacteria long before they can be used.

SomeRandomGuy

Probably some locally purchased  corned beef and beef loaf, preferably in small cans that she can use as "comfort food" over rice.

tn-300x225.jpg

Oh, and the latest tsismis magazines;  Yes Magazine, Kris Aquino, etc., the glossier the better.

wow the first thing i did with my partner is stop her from eating shit like this.... I want her to have a healthy long life

• Like 1

A vacuum packed Jolibee burger, Greenwich pizza, MP3 of chicken calls, the Filipino boyfriend she gave up to go with you, her mother. Gallon of tubu. Not necessarily in that order.

Sorry I couldn't resist. Anyone else?

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

This how far I have fallen in my 6 1/2 years. I rather enjoy a Barkada Pepperoni pizza from Greenwhich. Her mother will not fit in my suit case but if she would she would be going. Her ex BF died about 2 years ago there are rules regarding taking a corpse. My ringer on my phone is a rooster android supplies that with the phone. Her dad would kill me if I took the tubu so it stays. However thanks.

Kid good idea... Not much room left 40 bars of soap taking some.

• Like 4
SomeRandomGuy

If you really want to make her feel like home when u get back, Make sure you put litter all over your back yard and put on terrible karoke music on at 3 am in the morning for no apparent reason. :db:

SkyMan

If you really want to make her feel like home when u get back, Make sure you put litter all over your back yard and put on terrible karoke music on at 3 am in the morning for no apparent reason. :db:

It wouldn't make her feel at home long as the neighbors would actually complain.

Sorry tuba. My stupid keyboard keeps correcting my visaya. I'm sure its you she misses the most. Safe trip.

• Like 1
rfm010

do your in-laws have the facilities and abilities for skyping?  that will help your wife while she adjusts more than anything.  as far as what to pack?  all the paperwork and documents you've accumulated during your trials and tribulations, just as a reminder of why you made the move.