urinating into a strong wind,,probably!

woodchopper

I am aware of 2 separate cases of US men murdered in Davao city area,,and a recent American man beaten terribly in colon/Cebu! (recent history all 3)

it would seem 2 me that if various govts can put pressure on the phils govt re "trafficking",,surely they could make some headway with these unsolved and mostly,,uninvestigated/unresolved foreigner matters?

the phils has a belief they will prosper more from tourism,,but surely it's high time somebody pointed out to the govt here of the need to ensure moreso and safeguard their safety/wellbeing,,or,,in case of deaths or injuries or crimes,,a factual finding made by investigation by phils authorities?

maybe its time the various embassies etc were advised by their citizens of their need for accountability and safety of their nationals?

is it worth the suggestion a forum such as this could "band" together to try to point out these irregularities via embassies to the phils govt?

surely not 2 the local police!

as the topic post reads,,maybe a dumb suggestion?

the boss

Not dumb. But you go on the idea that local law enforcement would actually have to do a investigation and compile evidence for a referal for prosecution..

There is no pay to do the job for that. The real job pays crap, and the shake down pays more. So efforts go to???

Some embassies might care about their citizens, it ain't the US.

And you know suggestions only make the crab draw into its shell..........

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

the phils has a belief they will prosper more from tourism,,but surely it's high time somebody pointed out to the govt here of the need to

fill in the blank. believe it or not the local authorities are very intelligent and certainly don't need any of us to make them aware of the situation. it's their call as far as what they are willing to indulge themselves into improving, and judging by the other more pressing matters concerning the local population that need attention, i think tourism won't be so worrisome. the powers that be are sharp enough to know what the big tourist draw here is...

woodchopper

so what if say a group of 3 aussies,,3 us,,3 brits etc etc,,approached their respective embassies and suggested on the facts and non-clearup of matters,,that the respective embassies had suggested to them a "posting" on their travel advice websites?,,,,,(following agreement and active participation by members)

mikewright

it would seem 2 me that if various govts can put pressure on the phils govt re "trafficking",,surely they could make some headway with these unsolved and mostly,,uninvestigated/unresolved foreigner matters?

I somehow don't think that the government would give priority to solving murders based solely on the fact that the victim was a foreigner. The Philippines is still a developing country and has its own priorities. I personally doubt that the safety of expats is a major concern at this point of time.

Seems to me that there are very few tourists murdered in the Philippines, certainly not enough to affect the tourist industry. As many of the incidents involving tourists have occurred where drink was involved, or an internet dating love triangle, these matters are not going to get priority.

I think there is a much higher risk if you are an expat, though. Certain lifestyle choices can really increase risks to your safety. Just look at the number of Indian moneylenders killed, or missionaries in certain areas. Or foreigners with dodgy partners, business or personal. Look at the high proportion of expats killed in the Angeles City area. But they don't seem to be the type of incidents that would usually stir a government into treating them as a priority.

All in all' I guess the Embassies will suggest we leave.

• Like 1
SkyMan

it would seem 2 me that if various govts can put pressure on the phils govt re "trafficking",,surely

Have they actually done this or is it all a big show?  Oh, ok, they'll arrest an expat for HT at the drop of a hat but locals?  By arresting expats for HT they throw the problem onto the other countries.  The US says, "Hey, what are you doing about your HT problem?"  And the RP says, "Well, last year we arrested 56 Americans involved in HT here so when are you going to do something about our HT problem?"

And don't call me Shirley.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
mikewright

Two different problems. If they are making headway with one, good luck to them, at least it's a good result.

Nangulo

And don't call me Shirley.

I liked your post, especially the part about, "surely."

Good one.   :yahoo:

woodchopper

good  on most of u!,,i withdraw,,as per the headline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smokey

I am aware of 2 separate cases of US men murdered in Davao city area,,and a recent American man beaten terribly in colon/Cebu! (recent history all 3)

the phils has a belief they will prosper more from tourism,,but surely it's high time somebody pointed out to the govt here of the need to ensure moreso and safeguard their safety/wellbeing,,or,,in case of deaths or injuries or crimes,,a factual finding made by investigation by phils authorities?

maybe its time the various embassies etc were advised by their citizens of their need for accountability and safety of their nationals?

is it worth the suggestion a forum such as this could "band" together to try to point out these irregularities via embassies to the phils govt?

surely not 2 the local police!

as the topic post reads,,maybe a dumb suggestion?

show me the MONEY 

Kabisay-an gid

I somehow don't think that the government would give priority to solving murders based solely on the fact that the victim was a foreigner. The Philippines is still a developing country and has its own priorities. I personally doubt that the safety of expats is a major concern at this point of time.

A lot of ex-pats seem to be under the mistaken impression that foreigners are the only ones not getting justice in Philippine murder cases.

MANY Filipinos don't get justice either. I know a Filipina whose father was murdered. They know who did it, but they didn't have enough money to pay the court costs, lawyer fees, investigative expenses etc., that were necessary to put the guy away. So the murderer walks free today.

It's all about the money, or lack thereof.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Open_Ended

Saying lack of money is the issue, is not really a news flash ...Its that way the world over as far as I know, just to different degrees ... The other posts on priories make sense I'd guess ...

--

Asking\expecting big brother to cover for you in a foreign land, is a stretch to say the least ... I'd say, protect yourself and yours at all times, ESP in foreign, 3rd world countries ... That's what the locals do and I'm down with the locals ...  And don't expect any changes in the near future ...

• Like 1