Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this story

SomeRandomGuy

UNLESS_____you consider the fact that some of us are no longer in the Philippines and have little access to local news.

Just to be clear. The "local news" that is being relayed in this instance is old news, and obtained by online searches. I venture a guess that many of the expats in to group currently living here get their "local news" by using the Internet. I haven't bought a newspaper for many years.

There is a plethora of news as well as gossip available to anyone willing to make the effort.

This story is just a scare mongering story about the evil of people. Just happened to take place here. Could have been Pakistan, India, China. These sorts of horrific and senseless acts take place all over the world. I just don't see a point in posting them here.

• Like 2
smokey

just more evidence of the macho culture of the Phlippines which I have alluded to before. Some foreigners, think this is great and we can sink into this men-abusing-the-women type culture. They are not interested, in women as individuals. They are only interested in women as servants and concubines who they may have married.

Wow coming from you it just seems different 

• Like 1
rfm010

what could make this story more relevant to the forum is a follow-up on what has happened to the case.  the idea being that the state of the justice system here should be of concern to those living here or contemplating same.  i remember the original story.  i do not remember anything that has happened since but i would not be surprise if the answer was "pretty much nothing".  hope i'm wrong.

bahalina buong

I think the OP's point was that the guilty parties in this story didn't view rape as such an evil thing.  And honestly, it's not....to many Filipinos.  Rape is very, very common here and rarely reported, and its also something that anyone with a vested interest in the country would vehemently deny.  And that just perpetuates the problem.  Sad. 

Guy60417

what could make this story more relevant to the forum is a follow-up on what has happened to the case.  the idea being that the state of the justice system here should be of concern to those living here or contemplating same.  i remember the original story.  i do not remember anything that has happened since but i would not be surprise if the answer was "pretty much nothing".  hope i'm wrong.

If that was your guess, you'd be right. I did a google search on the victim's name and there seems to have been nothing happening .

Not a surprise, of course. I bitch about the courts/police moving slowly in the US, but this place is mind-boggling. The Ampatuans still haven't been tried after four years; I was looking for some info the other day about the mayor who was re-elected after (allegedly) raping a 12yo, and there has been nothing done about that (the case dates to 2010).

The case James has been reporting on seems to be zipping right along, comparatively speaking.