Terrance

(If you see a similar post, it is because my first attempt was a failure, or so it seemed!)

I had my 13A interview on 28 June. It seemed to go well.  I was told to get an NBI clearance, which I have done, and to apply for an I Card, for which I was fingerprinted on the same day and given a list of paperwork to prepare. The
examiner told me to “check the website” or to “call the number on the receipt” for information.  So far, both have
resulted in ...... no result. The “Tentative date of implementation” stamped on the receipt is 07 Aug.  Today is 30 Aug.   I have been waiting for approval before I complete the I-Card paperwork. Here are my questions:

1)  The BOI is significantly past their stated date of implementation. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

2)  Is the BOI waiting for me to finish the I-Card application before proceeding?

3) Has anyone else noticed that the BOI website is often unavailable?

4) Which list on the website should I be checking?  I check them all. 

Thanks

Terrance

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hyaku

• Open_Ended

• Monsoon

• enoonmai

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its changed in that you now don't need police clearance from country of origin for provisional to full. You don't need NBI either as long as its applied for when you submit your request for changing s

I'll bow out of this thread.  It is obvious that procedures have changed since I got my 13A and moreover I applied in Manila and not Cebu.  Any information I have is probably out of date.  However as

This is a dumb question, but did you submit the NBI clearance to immigration? Your folder is likely sitting somewhere in the process. I assume they told you to get the NBI at your interview? I'm guess

enoonmai

Confusing as hell, isn't it? Looks like the physical server is down, as soon as it's back I'll give the links you should be checking unless someone else does it. Good news you weren't required to do an overseas police report.

Rules do change but when I went through the process I obtained a provisional 13A in my passport before even starting the process to get an ACR-I card.  I don't understand how the BoI could issue an ACR-I card when your status is not yet clarified; your visa details are repeated on the card.

Another thing that seems out of sequence is having an interview before all the paperwork is prepared and submitted.

Where is your passport?  With you of with the BoI?

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Yes, the process takes longer. I was watching their website seeing people with later interview dates than mine show up and wondering WTH. Its just the way it is. It was really grueling for me because I couldn't leave until it was implemented and I had shit to do and was stuck in the Philippines. 

You mentioned NBI clearance. Did you also submit FBI clearance? 

Edited by Monsoon
Terrance

Thanks for the replies. For clarification, all the paperwork was submitted on 25 June, then the interview was scheduled and took place on 28 June.  I was required to do an overseas police report. I had a local police clearance from my hometown in the US.  The police report was notarized and "duly authenticated by the PI consulate" (actually apostilled, and that is another post-worthy story of how I got that piece of paper!).  During the interview on 28 June the examiner told me to apply for an I-Card and to obtain NBI clearance.  I have done both but the I-Card process is not complete as I was unsure of what to do.  There were no clear instructions on what exactly to do when from the BOI.  That is one reason I originally posted on this subject. My passport is with me. They just wanted to see it (and I I had to do and still have to do multiple photocopies of different pages.) 

Edited by Terrance
enoonmai

You didn't say where you applied but mine was in Cebu. From memory, after my name showed up on the "Approved" list I submitted the paperwork downstairs and waited about 6 hours for my name to be called. Then I took the paperwork upstairs where they process the ACRs and filled out some stuff with them, fingerprints and photo then went back in about a month to pick up the card. I was similarly frustrated with the lack on direction but it is what it is. The BI site is still down, as soon as it's back I will post the link you need to check. Someone from here did the same for me. Good luck.

Its changed in that you now don't need police clearance from country of origin for provisional to full. You don't need NBI either as long as its applied for when you submit your request for changing status if you have written undertaking. Atty outside BOI cebu will do it. Other offices not know this so don't bother asking. Their own inter communication is in the dark ages. Went through the BOI mill last week.

So the "gentlemen upstairs" politely described to me by the Atty as the Muslims took me inside again! Quite helpful in telling me that the whole process takes longer because its done in the Philippines. I'm told...Just go to any Philippine Embassy in another country. Show them you marriage certificate to a Filipina and they can process your residency in around a week with no other papers. Would anyone like to comment on that?

• Like 1
enoonmai

You don't need NBI either as long as its applied for when you submit your request for changing status if you have written undertaking. Atty outside BOI cebu will do it.

I'm not sure I'm understanding, could you explain this process a little more?

Immigration Manila is in turmoil and alot of revamping because of the corruption cleaning. Be patient but make sure your current visa is kept up to date, DO NOT OVERSTAY!, even 1 day can get you deported and blacklisted.

I'm not sure I'm understanding, could you explain this process a little more?

I was told that if the NBI clearance had been applied for and had not arrived by the time you had to process your papers for status change to just go to an attorney and get a written undertaking. I assume this says you will be a good boy and submit the NBI clearance asap when you receive it. If you don't go to Manila an alien NBI clearance will take months. Please note this is only for provisional to full residency. New applicants need both police clearance from country of origin notorised by your embassy and NBI. So saying its probably changed already. Although I found provincial BOI offices to be helpful they really had no idea what was going on. Even Cebu must submit everything to Manila. Above all please remember a provisional residency "cannot" be extended. Not even for processing.

I'll bow out of this thread.  It is obvious that procedures have changed since I got my 13A and moreover I applied in Manila and not Cebu.  Any information I have is probably out of date.  However as a parting comment I believe the written, notarized undertaking of behavior, etc. that hyaku mentions is not a substitute for NBI clearance but a substitute for home country police clearance when the latter is not readily available.  When I applied home country clearance was not required so I did not have this particular problem.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Thanks for the replies. For clarification, all the paperwork was submitted on 25 June, then the interview was scheduled and took place on 28 June.  I was required to do an overseas police report. I had a local police clearance from my hometown in the US.  The police report was notarized and "duly authenticated by the PI consulate" (actually apostilled, and that is another post-worthy story of how I got that piece of paper!).  During the interview on 28 June the examiner told me to apply for an I-Card and to obtain NBI clearance.  I have done both but the I-Card process is not complete as I was unsure of what to do.  There were no clear instructions on what exactly to do when from the BOI.  That is one reason I originally posted on this subject. My passport is with me. They just wanted to see it (and I I had to do and still have to do multiple photocopies of different pages.) 

This is a dumb question, but did you submit the NBI clearance to immigration? Your folder is likely sitting somewhere in the process. I assume they told you to get the NBI at your interview? I'm guessing however long it took you to submit the NBI after your interview is about how long of an additional delay it will take you to get processed for implementation of your 13A over and above others that had interviews on the same day (by the same atty) as you. I noticed that the files are released in batches according to hearing attorney. I picked up a bit on th ewhole process because as I said, when I did my 13A I was chomping at the bit to leave because i had shit that needed sorting elsewhere. 

If you follow up with them and they tell you its not released yet, its normal (well in my case it was) then one day you find your name online as approved. If it takes longer than 3 months something is likely messed up. Unfortunately  thats how it works...

Wait for it.....

Wait for it...

Its more fun in the Philippines....

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1

I did manage to push my NBI clearance as I called the director in Manila who I know personally. Even then it all takes time. In my case too long to help. Because your "an alien".

Open_Ended

I've got a UK friend doing this process now .. I don't know all the details but his was delayed also and that is absolutely not a big deal as most things are delayed here ..

Staying in close contact with the office is the best thing you can do AND if you have any conflicts in the time scale, let them know and maybe you can work around them ... Its their show and best to listen to them and let them run it ... Any thing else and you will be the odd man out maybe ..  Good luck ..

--

I over stayed 1 day once by mistake .. The immigration office has not concerned and I think I payed a small fine maybe ... I know another UK guy who overstayed 4 months by mistake ...He payed a bigger fine .. Moral of this story is, keep good relations with any and all officials here and you'll maybe never have a horror story for all to read here.

Edited by Open_Ended

I've got a UK friend doing this process now .. I don't know all the details but his was delayed also and that is absolutely not a big deal as most things are delayed here ..

Staying in close contact with the office is the best thing you can do AND if you have any conflicts in the time scale, let them know and maybe you can work around them ... Its their show and best to listen to them and let them run it ... Any thing else and you will be the odd man out maybe ..  Good luck ..

--

I over stayed 1 day once by mistake .. The immigration office has not concerned and I think I payed a small fine maybe ... I know another UK guy who overstayed 4 months by mistake ...He payed a bigger fine .. Moral of this story is, keep good relations with any and all officials here and you'll maybe never have a horror story for all to read here.

I was laughingly told the fine for overstaying one day was the same as one month. As I was told the undertaking was not a substitute for anything. Just to tide you over until the real clearance was available for submission. What was amusing last time was the processed the papers, added an overlaying letter then as me go get copies. They then gave one back and said that I should go send it LBC to Manila. Not only do they take your money/pension but they expect you to pay the postage for them.

Edited by Headshot
Removed duplicate quote