Sign in to follow this  
agent17

Balikbayan Box - mayo and chocolates a good idea?

agent17

I'm having someone from the states prepare a balikbayan box for me.  Do you guys think it would be fine to send mayo and chocolates here?  Won't the chocolates melt together?  Would the mayo spoil?

jtmwatchbiz

hiya,

i'm not sure about the mayo but the choco will prolly melt.

i think you can buy those name brand imported items fairly easily here in cebu as well. 

Nangulo

I've done mayo - Hellman's Real Mayo - big, plastic jars.  No problems.  Still have one in the ref.  Three got here early Dec 2012 and I opened the last one last week.  Just went downstairs to check the expiration date but I must have tossed the label when I opened it.

Majorsco

Haven't done mayo, as I don't need to.  I can get Best Foods mayo here in Dipolog city.  Best Foods and Hellmans are the same product, just different labels by east vs west coast.  I have sent boxes of Hershey bars, and while they didn't melt together, they did get so soft that even after putting  them in the fridge, they didn't harden back up very well. 

hyaku

I'm having someone from the states prepare a balikbayan box for me.  Do you guys think it would be fine to send mayo and chocolates here?  Won't the chocolates melt together?  Would the mayo spoil?

What's wrong with Mayo here? Quite easy to make or doctor with a few eggs yolks or vinegar, cream, whatever you think is lacking. Hot and cold chocolate turns white when sent a long way.

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

What's wrong with Mayo here? Quite easy to make or doctor with a few eggs yolks or vinegar, cream, whatever you think is lacking.

cool idea and i'll ask the wife if she wants to try and make some.

jtmwatchbiz

I've done mayo - Hellman's Real Mayo - big, plastic jars.  No problems.  Still have one in the ref.  Three got here early Dec 2012 and I opened the last one last week.  Just went downstairs to check the expiration date but I must have tossed the label when I opened it.

be careful with that mayo....better safe than sorry

post-4506-0-76852900-1377758770_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

rfm010

i just shipped some chocolate via bb box.  the boxes were in container vans in the u.s. midwest for a couple of weeks during a heat wave. 

some chocolates melt easier than others.  chocolate and butterscotch chips stuck together a bit but separated out when the packages were flexed a bit.  andes choco-mint chips (first time i've seen them, had to give them a try as my wife doesn't like mint so more chocolate chip cookies for me) melted together into a single block of chocolate that i look forward to gnawing on someday.  several boxes of junior mints softened up enough so the inner part leaked out just enough for many pieces to stick together a bit, but upon refrigeration they are easily separated and taste fine. 

as for mayo that is usually available here as others have mentioned.  i prefer miracle whip and the local kraft version is perfectly fine by me. 

also shipped several jars of trader joe's cookie butter and it had no problem.  gave most of it as gifts and requests for refills have already started coming in.  maybe use your mayo space for things that are harder to find here?

udonthani

I'm putting finishing touches packing a box now. Chocolate is variable in its melting temp but it will be generally OK.

the box I sent last year in first week of September must have endured some very high temps as it made its way from the Atlantic realm through the Mediterreanean, and into the Orient via the Suez Canal, and the Indian Ocean etc before it finally arrived in Mindanao second week in November. I wasn't actually there when they opened it, but I was elsewhere in the Philippines and observed the proceedings in Misamis Oriental by webcam from an internet cafe in Toledo in Cebu. The chocolate was by and large OK - even the thin After Eight mints. The packaging of the confectionery protects them. I had packed a box for me containing some western foodstuffs too, including mayo that was fine. Even the large amount of cheese was fine except for the soft cheese. Keep Mayo sealed up as like when you bought it of course. Don't pack a container you have already opened.

I always bring a large amount of chocolate in my hand luggage too. Usually it is fine except for one year when I had a flight that was delayed and the choc took a bit of battering when it was left in the bag in Abu Dhabi in 40 degree temp. Those extra few degrees, make all the difference.

if you are packing toiletries and things in pressurised containers, put those in their own box and wrap up each item in plastic. Funny things can happen to them it seems in transit but your chocolate will be OK.

cebubird

I just got a box 2 months ago with 3 jars of Hellmans-sure wish I had asked for more.

miles-high

Mayonnaise whether it is a US brand or not, if it is made in the Philippines, it is way too sweet for anything… Lately, I found one in this pic (made in the USA) and love it, ;) available in most Metro/Gaisano stores.

WP_20130829_001.jpg

Chocolates are problem… I sent some in BBBox, some by sea (only from Guam and 30 days or less), other by air with some mixed results. I suppose it all depends on the routing, where they place the boxes, etc.

The 72% usually survives OK but from my experience that’s not what Filipinas like… hehe ;)

BARSLRG_79410_011.jpg

They like those milk chocolates filled with cream, caramel, pistachio, apricot, etc., etc. those are quite often melt and filling comes off…

GIFTSET_190589_011.jpg

I would suggest you buy those types of chocolates at the airport duty free shops… Once you are inside the security, you could buy as many as you want to… :D

IMHO, the BBBox should be used to ship things normally not available here, e.g., quality towels, bath robes, kitchen stuff, Corelle-ware (cheap at K-mart but these are “classy” expensive dinnerware in the Philippines available at $$$ from Rustans ;)), tall-size shirts/socks/pants, etc., just to name a few… :D

Nangulo

Mayonnaise whether it is a US brand or not, if it is made in the Philippines, it is way too sweet for anything

That's what I've found, too.  I've tried all the local brands but there's added sugar in all.  I have a cook book that tells how to make mayo, never tried it.  Maybe I should.  Sugar is not in the recipe.

SomeRandomGuy

mayo is so easy to make if u have a food processor     just make sure you microwave your egg yolks to sanatize them and destroy any potenial disease.

There are about 15 three min mayo recipe's on the net plus u make a base then if u want garlic ailo u add garlic and chives  if u want caesar you add parmasean and achovies.

I would be more concerened about the preservatives in the mayo in any store bought mayonaise than bloody oil

Sodium benzate is the most common used and it does cause cancer and a mirage or other health problems.

miles-high

the preservatives in the mayo in any store bought mayonaise than bloody oil Sodium benzate is the most common used

Hmmm, sorry to say it’s a food fallacy… “properly” prepared/manufactured mayonnaise never need any artificial preservatives like sodium benzoate… You look at any US made mayonnaise and you will see no mention of sodium benzoate or any other artificial preservatives for the last 15, 20 years (may be different in some other countries) for the following reasons…

1) If oil and vinegar (or lemon) are properly mixed (that is one reason we use the mixers with the sharp blades), the molecule mix will have a pH in the range of 3.8 to 4.6… a very hostile environment for bacteria… In fact, it is proven that adding the mayo to, say, sandwiches would reduce the bacteria count on the sanwitches…

2) It is important that, as you said “microwave your egg yolk” or pasteurize the eggs to further reduce the possibility of bacterial contamination…

If “properly” made, no need for refrigerate the mayo but it is recommended… :)

SkyMan

Mayo sits on the shelf in the store so no problem there.  Also, I pretty much disregard expiration dates except for milk.  Expiration dates have more to do with when the company wants to no longer be responsible for the product than they do with the product suddenly going from being fine one day and rancid the next.

The problem with Mayo here even if it's a US brand is it's made here for Filipino taste which means it's a lot sweeter than the same brand in the US.

• Like 1