Follow up to the emergency fund idea here: http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/63031-creating-a-linc-emergency-fund-for-life-threatening-situations/

Philhealth

What is it?  What isn't it?  How good or bad is it?  Costs, conditions, criteria, things it doesn't include, what the quality is like.  Everything and anything.

dutchben

My wife have Philhealth and it's for here close familie, so only me and here.

Think it's good and not expencieve, about 1.700php a year.

2 years ago i have eye oparation (catarac) and the pay 50% of the bill

• Like 1

my little niece was in the hospital for 6 days with that bad fever dengii or what ever its called. Bill was 11,000. Phil Health paid 5,000

• Like 1
samatm

So how long does it take to get registered for and in effect ?    Anyone recommend a good place to process the papers ?

Headshot

There are Philhealth offices all over the place. Just look for the sign. Philhealth coverage can be extended to any family member living in the same home. Typically, they pay about 25%, but sometimes more. Therefore, you need to look at it as a supplemental insurance.

So here is a question.

Do you have to be married to a Philippine citizen to qualify?

Can a foreigner with no legal ties (possibly single, maybe not married but living together etc) qualify?

What if the foreigner has a child, can they get cover?

P.S I do realise it might be easiest to go visit an official PhilHealth office, but just thought i'd ask here as well.

Edited by Tinbum
Davaoeno

i am single and have had Philhealth for over 2 years

Edited by Davaoeno

I don't use Philhealth, but several of my extended family do. It will cover portions of medical bills. Hard to know in advance what it will cover. However, there is a big benefit if it is an emergency and you show up at a hospital. They will accept the Philhealth card as a sort of entrance card.

I have coverage from another health insurance plan. It is not based in the Philippines, so I have to pay cash up front and settle my claim after discharge.

One reason I choose to NOT use Philhealth is the complications it will present when filing my claim. If I use Philhealth as my "get in the door" coverage, I then have to advise my non-Philippines insurance carrier of the claim. That will force me to wait while Philhealth process their portion. I'd rather avoid the delays.

JohnSurrey

My wife has PhilHealth and I was added to her policy after we married...

One thing you need to watch is the number of hospital days covered if you have too many people on one policy - particularly if one of them is old or frequently sick...

Good if you're planning on having kids... depending on the hospital you use you get the standard 5-6k for a normal birth... more for cs etc.

It was 1,200p a year a couple of years ago but it's now gone up to 2,400p - can't really go wrong at that price except as MikeeW says.

I just hope I don't have to use the local hospital here... because of the hygiene issues.