Life on the other side of the island?

DocZom

sandwindstars

La Union & Ilocos Sur, found them very nice, clean and quiet.  Weather is drier as it is on the other side of the Cordilleras, beaches, historical places, pretty civilized.  Drawback is a bit far from major airport.

Iloilo on Panay and Bacolod on Negros medium size cities with airports and urban amenities, Iloilo seems to have more beaches (and a very nice river port) plus Guimaras across.  Silay is a suburb of Bacolod, where sugar barons lived over a century ago.  I'm not sure now but it was fairly quiet and genteel when I visited 10 years ago.

An interesting small town but I've never been to is Don Salvador Benedicto, in the mountains, cooler climate, between Bacolod and San Carlos city.  Anyone been there at all?  It looks great in the photos, with rolling terrain and mountains.  It's away from the typhoon belt.

Luzon, esp eastern and southern Luzon (incl Bicol) unfortunately are in the typhoon belt, so is Samar.

Edited by sandwindstars
SkyMan

Just a tip since you seem to be concerned with typhoons: Baguio means typhoon.

I agree rent. rent, but I would suggest you stay in Mango area of Cebu. Lahug or Guadalupe then look further out. based on your descrition I would say the hills of Talisay. most modern things are there. It is fresh air up there. good view. If you know a/c I would suggest you go to subic. It is a nice area also. Good luck. Do not buy for a year. anywhere. have a good time

livinglife007

The other town to consider in the southwest of Cebu is Alegria. It is a peaceful little town but not far removed from city amenities. There are no industries nor big name resorts that usually attract crime and pollution. It is ideal to use as base for exploring this part of the Philippines because ferries and airports are within an hour's drive. We live here and we are happy to call it home.

• Like 1