Life on the other side of the island?

DocZom

Hi guys.  I have been lurking here for a while, but not real regularly.  I am moving to PI in the next 6 months or so.  My plan is to rent a furnished apartment/house in Angeles for maybe three to six months and us it as a base to explore.  I have friends there already, been there too many times (of course) myself, and the handy airport makes it a perfect base.  

I have been to PI about a dozen times.  I have been to Cebu once, and I rather like what I saw there.  Nice city, so much cleaner and not so poor as Manila.  But I do not want to live in a city, and probably not even in a close suburb.  But I do want to live within striking distance.

I am wondering about what is on the other side of the mountains.  I assume that the few typhoons that hit Cebu come from the east, and are not so bad on the west side of the island.  So I am wondering whether there are nice locations to retire to on that side of the island.  Like maybe Toledo.  Is that a good area for expat living?  Is it easy to get to Cebu City when I want to?  Is there much in the way of unspoiled nature within easy reach?  Does it have all the necessary facilities for daily life: food, malls, restaurants, good cable/satellite?  Is the air clean, are the beaches nice?  Is the crime rate low?

Any information you may have, or alternative suggestions for a place half way between city and province, would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

spritsail

if the typhoon is in the east then it will draw up a south west air flow - and in the summer here its the habagat or SW monsoon. It is usually a rain laden air flow that sweeps up between the islands dumping its payload until it reaches manila, as happened last week with flooding in Manila. Better when the NE monsoon is blowing although its Mindinao now that gets the blast.

Skywalker

Like maybe Toledo.

The best thing for you to do, is go and check the place out for yourself.  Rent a place for a few months, see if you like it.  

Keep your options open.

• Like 2
samatm

Angeles  City is long way from Toledo.   Best to Rent in Cebu somewhere as your base to scout around.    Airport and Port here is very convenient to all Visaya places.    

• Like 1

Angeles  City is long way from Toledo.   Best to Rent in Cebu somewhere as your base to scout around.    Airport and Port here is very convenient to all Visaya places.    

Yes, but I intend to check out a few other places as well, such as Baguio in the north and Davao in the south... and a few more places in between.  

if the typhoon is in the east then it will draw up a south west air flow - and in the summer here its the habagat or SW monsoon. It is usually a rain laden air flow that sweeps up between the islands dumping its payload until it reaches manila, as happened last week with flooding in Manila. Better when the NE monsoon is blowing although its Mindinao now that gets the blast.

So are you saying that the storms are not really different on one side of the island to the other?  I guess I can see how that would make sense, a large system with circular air flow hitting a relatively smaller island.

If you check out bagio also check out la union area. I like San Fernando la union alot. Good luck to you.

RogerDat

Greetings! Typhones are nothing to fear in Cebu, as long as you do not live on the beach, (storm surge), or at the base of a mountain, (land slides).

Cebu has a very mild weather pattern, but it is ALWAYS humid in the lower areas.

Luzon and Angeles are much more prone to typhoons than the Visayas. The further south you go from Luzon the smaller the threat. This is not to say that the Visayas don't get hit by typhoons, they do.

If you check out bagio also check out la union area. I like San Fernando la union alot. Good luck to you.

Yes, have been to La Union several times.  Ex-wife's family is there.  So since I am not keen in running in to them...

Yes, have been to La Union several times.  Ex-wife's family is there.  So since I am not keen in running in to them...

Hahaha, I don't blame you. I would take that off my list also. Batangas is also a good place if you stay on Luzon. Visayas I think have a better overall weather pattern. However from Batangas it is easy to go to both white beach and Puerto gallera and I like both places. Good luck on your search.

Kabisay-an gid

Yes, but I intend to check out a few other places as well, such as Baguio in the north and Davao in the south... and a few more places in between.  

Baguio's pretty nice. The only drawbacks would be lots of rain during certain months of the year, so some areas are flood and landslide prone. Plus you're smack dab in the Luzon typhoon belt, so destructive winds can be a problem.

Besides weather-related problems, it's a good place to live.

Open_Ended

Seeing these typhoons come and go like bullets, I'm liking Cebu even more ... I've been on about 9 islands and its always the Philippines, for richer or poorer ... Maybe Makita was not the Philippines, but all other places were ... All the same but all places a little different ... I like Panay also ... Lots of beaches on the west, rice farming, and the dirt bike riding was pretty good also ...

Maybe go to Masbate and check on the gold project? I'd like to go back and loop that small place again ... Bogo area has a port for heading up north ...

Edited by Open_Ended
goggleye

If i didnt have roots in Cebu already i think i would look at San Fernando and San Juan area in La Union too   - great area - great beaches - nice people