How Much Privacy Are You Willing To Give Up?

JasonEcos

JasonEcos

With our increasingly intrusive government I see a lot of peopletrying to justify their actions with rationale like "I don't have anything to worry about because I'm not hiding anything" etc.

Well how far are you willing to go? How much privacy are you willing to give up in the name of security?

On a daily basis I'm reading about violations of our rights, freedoms, and privacy, the latest of which I read about is a town having installed video cameras in public restrooms, recording people even when in bathroom stalls. This has been going on for a good 10+ years and they justify it by saying you have no reasonable expectation of privacy in a public restroom.

So do you agree with this view or do you find it intrusive? Would you allow cams in changing rooms? In your car? Your house? Where does one draw the line?

Btw the link I'm providing is to a new website that tries to wake people up to the fact that the US is turning into a police state. The site itself is new, but I've been following their Facebook page for months. The news reported is very sobering.

http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/town-claims-that-hidden-cameras-pointed-into-bathroom-stalls-is-not-violation-of-privacy/

(PS This is not to start a "US sucks!" type thread, but to wake people up to what is happenng so we can improve the situation)

• Like 1
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JasonEcos

• SomeRandomGuy

• jtmwatchbiz

• OzGuy43

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Orwell wrote his book in 1949. I was born in 1949. Coincidence? I think not...       

There used to be firm guidelines in place to prevent the abuse of power. They were called the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Unfortunately, people no longer think these guidelines are important.

just look at youtube or facebook or any other of the numerous ways people put themselves out there   forget the government taking away people's privacy   they can't wait to give it away all on the

Posted Images

MarinePride

There really isn't anything you can do about it if you want to remain in society and function in same.  There is no going back at this point, as no civilization has ever reversed on so called progress.  I know people who refused to go onto the internet since day one of its inception and still havn't.  If you really want privacy first step is to not do the internet at all.

No doubt there are voluminous profiles on everyone at this point in time.  All of this is really to protect the ruling class from you in whatever country it occurs in.  How did we get here?  Incrementalism, as people will put up with anything through incrementalism.  Also, because of inattention to what's happening in gov't through mindless diversions, like sports and entertainment.

For a nation to remain free and ignorant is something that has never been, nor something that will ever be.  I believe Thomas Jefferson or Ben Franklin said that and it's very true.

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

There really isn't anything you can do about it if you want to remain in society and function in same.

agreed. it's not as the OP views as "willing" to give up. aside from moving to another country you really don't have a choice. however, it's kind of silly to think next is going to be cams in changing rooms, cars and homes. 

JasonEcos

There really isn't anything you can do about it if you want to remain in society and function in same.  There is no going back at this point, as no civilization has ever reversed on so called progress.  I know people who refused to go onto the internet since day one of its inception and still havn't.  If you really want privacy first step is to not do the internet at all.

No doubt there are voluminous profiles on everyone at this point in time.  All of this is really to protect the ruling class from you in whatever country it occurs in.  How did we get here?  Incrementalism, as people will put up with anything through incrementalism.  Also, because of inattention to what's happening in gov't through mindless diversions, like sports and entertainment.

For a nation to remain free and ignorant is something that has never been, nor something that will ever be.  I believe Thomas Jefferson or Ben Franklin said that and it's very true.

I agree that there is no going back as far as the technology is concerned but over opressive governments have been slapped down many a time. In fact the US is founded on that.

agreed. it's not as the OP views as "willing" to give up. aside from moving to another country you really don't have a choice. however, it's kind of silly to think next is going to be cams in changing rooms, cars and homes. 

Why do you find it "silly"? Because it sounds too intrusive? The things we hear about on a regular basis nowadays would have sounded too intrusive to be true a decade or two ago.

jtmwatchbiz

Why do you find it "silly"

because i find it silly.

• Like 1

The whole surveillance issue is much wider then the little camera's.
Let's say those would possibly find you committing a crime, but the real game is tracking/hunting you down.

For this possible case you show, it all depends if there is a history of violence in this particular toilet/public area.

The whole surveillance state idea is quite grasping, it's not the individual little camera's or closed loop systems. It's the database miners of the NSA combined with government looped surveillance camera's and high-end real time drones video taping you that make the real issue of privacy in a dwindling state.

Not sure if you have seen this.

But you're are always being tracked, the last little piece of 'freedom' you're discussing is pretty much obsolete if you know in what extend your daily activated is tracked and monitored. Offcourse as long as you don't commit anything wrong or aren't on US it's radar regarding some kind of form of 'terrorism or anti US activism'.

If you live in the US and actively use internet/social media you're being followed, tracked and monitored on a daily basis. Most of which you'll never even notice. Or you wouldn't even see just because this is all 'stealth' gathering. Once you have a cell phone connected to internet, have used a form of social network/micro blogging website they know who you are and where you are.

It isn't all frightening, it could all help out society for a total if it's used for a greater purpose. But most of this happens so much behind back doors that there is a lot of room for keeping people in between lines and prosecuting them for shit they might have nothing to do with. Just to apprehend something and keep the Masses entertained in their governments 'good' governance.
It could possibly help, it could possibly not. It all depends what those people behind it do with it... And what they focus their time and efforts on in pursuing.
Would they use their systems in tracking down a high-end "downloader" who's downloads have cost hollywood thousands of dollars in so called loss of profits. Or would they use it too track wanted fugitives, criminals, pedophiles?

Who controls this machine of Camera's and information, and what do they want with it?
  • Like 1
dc3driver

With our increasingly intrusive government I see a lot of peopletrying to justify their actions with rationale like "I don't have anything to worry about because I'm not hiding anything" etc.

Well how far are you willing to go? How much privacy are you willing to give up in the name of security?

On a daily basis I'm reading about violations of our rights, freedoms, and privacy, the latest of which I read about is a town having installed video cameras in public restrooms, recording people even when in bathroom stalls. This has been going on for a good 10+ years and they justify it by saying you have no reasonable expectation of privacy in a public restroom.

So do you agree with this view or do you find it intrusive? Would you allow cams in changing rooms? In your car? Your house? Where does one draw the line?

Btw the link I'm providing is to a new website that tries to wake people up to the fact that the US is turning into a police state. The site itself is new, but I've been following their Facebook page for months. The news reported is very sobering.

http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/town-claims-that-hidden-cameras-pointed-into-bathroom-stalls-is-not-violation-of-privacy/

(PS This is not to start a "US sucks!" type thread, but to wake people up to what is happenng so we can improve the situation)

So are you concerned about privacy here in the Philippines?

JasonEcos

because i find it silly.

Well I can't argue with such a well formed argument ;)

Btw just to be clear, I didn't say I think those cams will be installed, I'm just asking at what point people will draw the line.

• Like 1
JasonEcos

It isn't all frightening, it could all help out society for a total if it's used for a greater purpose. But most of this happens so much behind back doors that there is a lot of room for keeping people in between lines and prosecuting them for shit they might have nothing to do with. Just to apprehend something and keep the Masses entertained in their governments 'good' governance.

It could possibly help, it could possibly not. It all depends what those people behind it do with it... And what they focus their time and efforts on in pursuing.

Would they use their systems in tracking down a high-end "downloader" who's downloads have cost hollywood thousands of dollars in so called loss of profits. Or would they use it too track wanted fugitives, criminals, pedophiles?

This is the part that concerns me. If we knew for a fact it was people with saintly personalities running this stuff I wouldn't have an issue with most of it. But lets face it, the politicians and top government people aren't exactly trustworthy. I wouldn\t trust most of them to babysit, much less have that kind of power over you.

Between the intrusiveness of government, tech advances, and the government punishing people before they are even convicted of crimes....it gets worrisome.

If they put surveillance cameras everywhere you can think of,that would be the least of the problems happening in the USA.

The mental conditioning is going unnoticed by most!

jtmwatchbiz

since i'm so interesting and important that i must be concerned of my govt. trying to intercept my sensitive and highly valuable communications i'm well prepared to foil any attempts!

post-4506-0-82790100-1377744467_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
JasonEcos

If they put surveillance cameras everywhere you can think of,that would be the least of the problems happening in the USA.
The mental conditioning is going unnoticed by most!

I agree. The cams are just one facet of it. I focused on them because of the article I posted. My family is from Michigan. We have vacationed in Ludington (the are where cams are in restrooms).

Edited by JasonEcos
JasonEcos

since i'm so interesting and important that i must be concerned of my govt. trying to intercept my sensitive and highly valuable communications i'm well prepared to foil any attempts!

attachicon.giftin-foil-hat-625p.jpg

You're probably just kidding around but it does touch upon an issue.

Often when stuff like this is brought up people start saying "conspiracy theories" and such. Theres nothing wrong with having a conspiracy theory, it doesn't automatically equate you to being a nut (but yes...many, many of them are nuts). Even when well documented cases are brought up, I still see people bring in the whole conspiracy theory thing...even when its not theory, its fact. It makes light of a very serious situation, and many people do not treat it seriously.

Imagine a Hitler type personality getting in a position of power with all of todays, and upcoming, tech. That was bad enough the first time around, it would be worse with them having this much more power at their hands.

On a personal level I don't have anything to hide, and I do not fear the government spying on me...I make no attempts to hide, encrypt data, etc. But just because I do not have anything to hide, does not mean I think a program is justified. I also have nothing to hide in my home, car, body cavities, etc but I do not wanted them rifled through....which btw they are often searching all 3 without warrants.

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

You're probably just kidding around

i would hope so, as the alternatives would be quite unsettling :)

• Like 1
tobster

I think its too late too stop them and apparantly their technology is a generation ahead of that is available to the voting public. The war on terror is a smokescreen to bring in an Orwell 1984 type of society which at least by  living here one can avoid.

• Like 1