I tried to search for info about balikbayan.Nothing came up.I know the answer but hope the answer has changed.I know common sense does not apply.I entered the Philippines numerous times without an outgoing ticket.I am sure-lucky.My wife and I and two sons will arrive in Cebu soon.We will be entering balikbayan privelige for one year.And we will be staying and living in Cebu.Most airlines can't sell a outgoing return ticket one year in advance.So when we arrive we will not have throwaways or an onward flight out a year from the time we arrive.Are they doing anything different these days in connection with the above info on demanding a outward flight ticket when balikbayans are staying to live permanent resident.I was permanent resident for years but will have to start over on that by filing again or just leave the country every year.Thanks

Brucewayne

Just wait until say 30 days or so before your departure time and buy a throw away online.

If your wife is a dual citizen and possibly your children, you would be the only one in need of an ongoing ticket.

They are starting to enforce the law concerning the ongoing ticket from what I have heard and you don't want to ruin your trip having to buy a ticket at the airport at that time since it would probably be less expensive and easier to buy one before you leave to come here.

Edited by Brucewayne
  • Like 1
Nangulo

You could always buy a fully-refundable ticket with no change/cancellation fees on your credit card, get to the PI and then cancel the ticket and get your money back before the credit card bill is due.

• Like 3
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Its not so much the getting in part, its getting a boarding pass that is a problem without an onward ticket. For some reason non PAL flights from the states are pretty lax about enforcing it, at least in the past. Its been a while since I've flown from the US and needed to have one, so I can't say what its like. But one can typically be acquired for less than $60 or a as stated a refundable can be bought so why bother risking it? 

Majorsco

Every time I flew from the US, and I didn't have a round trip on the same airline, I was asked and had to show that I had a return ticket when I checked in at the airline and they reviewed my documentation over the last 10 years.  Sometimes I would buy one ways on different airlines because I didn't like the connections offered or to save money. 

Its not so much the getting in part, its getting a boarding pass that is a problem without an onward ticket. For some reason non PAL flights from the states are pretty lax about enforcing it, at least in the past. Its been a while since I've flown from the US and needed to have one, so I can't say what its like. But one can typically be acquired for less than $60 or a as stated a refundable can be bought so why bother risking it? 

Good point.  I've never been asked to prove an on-going flight on arrival but have experienced more than one query when checking-in.  This was usually about visas: "You don't have a visa."  "I don't need one;" continuing until the supervisor is called.  A couple of times it has been about on-going flights; the airline doesn't want the responsibility of bringing you back.

Edit: To OP.  The Balikbayan visa is discretionary and depending upon where you board your flight it is doubtful whether the clerk has ever heard of it.  You have experienced difficulty researching it and you don't want the hassle when checking-in.  As for it being discretionary, I was refused one on the only occasion I needed it - and yes, I was travelling with my wife.  I would personally get a 'throw-away'.

Edited by GoHuk
  • Like 1
JasonEcos

ARe you applying for balikbayan upon arrival or do you already have it? Because the ongoing/exit ticket is not a problem at immigration, its a problem when you are trying to board your flight to come to the Philippines. Each time I've entered the Philippines I have been asked at the boarding gate(in Hong Kong) to show my onward ticket. If not presented, they won't allow you to board the plane. I've read the reason for this is because if you arrive to the Philippines and immigration denies you entry from lack of an onward ticket, the airline is responsible for flying you back out...at their cost.

Each time my wife and 2 sons enter the pinas we are given balikbayan.I thought maybe something might have changed since our last trip(being so much has changed at immigration)that maybe those entering the pinas as balikbayans that actually live in the phil.might be able to board at there departure place without needing a onward,throwaway or round trip ticket.It makes sense to me being that if you try booking a flight with return one year from arrival,kayak,vayama,expedia etc.you can't enter a date that far in advance.Tiger air has some cheap flights to hong kong,I hear there are some cheap boat tickets that work for this situation also.Thanks

ARe you applying for balikbayan upon arrival or do you already have it? Because the ongoing/exit ticket is not a problem at immigration, its a problem when you are trying to board your flight to come to the Philippines. Each time I've entered the Philippines I have been asked at the boarding gate(in Hong Kong) to show my onward ticket. If not presented, they won't allow you to board the plane. I've read the reason for this is because if you arrive to the Philippines and immigration denies you entry from lack of an onward ticket, the airline is responsible for flying you back out...at their cost.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Don't waste your time with boat tickets. You'll just increase your risk of having a problem at check in. 

philuk

Just found this online its a press release made by the phil embassy

image002.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

MJBA-046-2011

EXCLUSION OF TEMPORARY VISITORS

WITH NO RETURN/OUTBOUND TICKETS

Los Angeles, 28 June
2012 – The Philippine Consulate General in Los Angeles wishes to inform the
public of a directive from the Philippine Bureau of Immigration that pursuant
to Section 29(a)(17) of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940, as amended,
foreign nationals arriving to the Philippines who are admissible under
Section 9(a) (temporary visitor’s visa) or under Executive Order 408 with the
exception of Balikbayans,

but do not have valid return or onward
tickets
, shall be automatically
excluded or will not be allowed entry into the country

Furthermore, the
airline company which allowed the boarding of an excluded passenger shall be
subjected to administrative fines pursuant to Section 44© of the Philippine
Immigration Act.

Interesting where it says with the exception of balikbayan, suggests that those availing of the balikbayan privilege do not require an onward ticket

Edited by philuk

Interesting where it says with the exception of balikbayan, suggests that those availing of the balikbayan privilege do not require an onward ticket

Agreed.  It is also interesting that it implies you can get a Balikbayan before you leave and not just on arrival.

Edited by GoHuk
philuk

Agreed.  It is also interesting that it implies you can get a Balikbayan before you leave and not just on arrival.

to be honest, when we have checked through immigration and claimed balikbayan we have never been asked to show an onward ticket.

JasonEcos

Just found this online its a press release made by the phil embassy

image002.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

MJBA-046-2011

EXCLUSION OF TEMPORARY VISITORS

WITH NO RETURN/OUTBOUND TICKETS

Los Angeles, 28 June

2012 – The Philippine Consulate General in Los Angeles wishes to inform the

public of a directive from the Philippine Bureau of Immigration that pursuant

to Section 29(a)(17) of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940, as amended,

foreign nationals arriving to the Philippines who are admissible under

Section 9(a) (temporary visitor’s visa) or under Executive Order 408 with the

exception of Balikbayans,

but do not have valid return or onward

tickets, shall be automatically

excluded or will not be allowed entry into the country.

Furthermore, the

airline company which allowed the boarding of an excluded passenger shall be

subjected to administrative fines pursuant to Section 44© of the Philippine

Immigration Act.

But do the airport gate attendants in the country you are departing from even know what a balikbayan is? Remember, the exit ticket is often asked for BEFORE you board your flight here. Maybe they do, or maybe not.  Just something to keep in mind.

Exit tickets can be had for $10-20 (or even free sometimes) to me its worth it just to avoid the potential headcahe.

My advice would be to print the law to have it with you. I have found that Delta Airlines the last couple of years would have refused me a boarding pass when traveling with my wife if I did not have a copy of the law with me. 

Balikbayan one-year visa-free stay     MJBA-046-2011

Balikbayans – any overseas Filipino returning to the Philippines, including former Filipinos who have acquired foreign citizenship – can stay in the Philippines without a visa for a period of one year. The balikbayan visa-free stay privilege is extended to the balikbayan’s non-Filipino spouse and children, provided they enter the Philippines with the balikbayan.

Former Filipino balikbayans traveling to the Philippines are advised to bring either their old Philippine passport or copy of Philippine birth certificate as proof of their former Philippine citizenship. Accompanying family members of the balikbayan can bring appropriate supporting documents:

• For the spouse: copy of marriage certificate
  • For each child: copy of birth certificate
  • For adopted children: copy of adoption papers

SkyMan

Lee is quite correct.  BBs don't need an onward ticket but since airlines don't know the details of this you need to have a copy of the law and the address online to that info or they won't let you on without the onward ticket.

OP:  My question for you is how you lost your permanent residency, I assume you were 13A right?  Permanent residency is permanent.  Your ACR card may have expired but if you had PR you still do unless you somehow renounced it or something. I would look into just getting a new ACR card after you arrive.

It is also interesting that it implies you can get a Balikbayan before you leave and not just on arrival.

I'm not sure where you see that. Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1