Sign in to follow this  
BlueFin

Cebu city to Sipalay city in Negros Route Options

BlueFin
Hi,

I'd like to take a trip from Cebu city to Sipalay in Negros on my XRM 125 motorcycle.

Google maps suggest two routes and I'd like to ask the members here which they think is better.

1)

Cebu City, Central Visayas, Philippines

Sipalay City, Western Visayas, Philippines

or

2)

Cebu City, Central Visayas, Philippines

Toledo City, Central Visayas, Philippines

Sipalay City, Western Visayas, Philippines

Some images are attached of both routes.

I'd like to travel the route which is most scenic and/or enjoyable.

I'll just be taking my time putting along on my scooter.

I'm thinking to leave Cebu city early (like 4am) - maybe get to Sipalay same day?

Thanks!

post-8456-0-03342700-1377570732_thumb.png

post-8456-0-05746500-1377570739_thumb.png

SkyMan

I'm told the stretch from Tanjay to Bayawan is not safe but then that may just be talk.  If you're taking the ferry from Toledo to San Carlos anyway, I'd ride straight across to Bacolod which is very nice and then down the coast to Sipalay.  For the return I'd continue along the coast through Dumaguete.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2

miles-high

I am also planning a similar trip between Manila and Cebu but by a car… At the moment, I can only comment about the trip between Cebu and Toledo (as we took the Bicol route last year).

I think Cebu to Balamban then to Toledo is more scenic and more enjoyable as there is less traffic.

If you are going to Dumaguete, the western route through Moalboal is more scenic, as I have been told and that is the route we plan to do soon… :)

BlueFin

I'm told the stretch from Tanjay to Bayawan is not safe but then that may just be talk.  If you're taking the ferry from Toledo to San Carlos anyway, I'd ride straight across to Bacolod which is very nice and then down the coast to Sipalay.  For the return I'd continue along the coast through Dumaguete.

Yea I was thinking about San Carlos to Bacolod as I've heard is really nice.

That's a nice route idea - one big round trip.

Or maybe via Moalboal on the way back ..

post-8456-0-81880800-1377573713_thumb.png

post-8456-0-45304600-1377573821_thumb.png

panther

ive done cebu to bacolod a few times on the bus and its very scenic but you have to go over 2 lots of mountains and your bike will get stressed out going up them lol going down is the easy bit .lots of mountain people and animals to dodge along the way .never been the bottom route so can,t comment on that.It takes about 8 hours to get to bacolod on the bus which includes the ferry. 

spooks

The southern coastal route through Negros was at one time almst impassable with the pavement just stopping for very long stretches and just a logging trail with logs over culverts etc. They had dumped lots of hard core along the route but have no idea if it ever got laid down. I used my old jeep for this, not a 4x 4 but in the wet I think anything less than a 4 x 4 would be very hard. anything low to the ground will suffer!

lexus

One big round trip best. You can make it to Sipalay same day if You catch the 7 o'clock ferry in Toledo. Road to Bacolod northern route round Kanlaon is fantastic. Only Your bike too small. Have done all these roads, very enjoyable. And back via Moalboal. Happy riding.

udonthani

on a bike that small you should be thinking of this trip in terms of not even days, but weeks.

getting from Cebu to Sipalay in one day on a 125 is a laughable idea. You might just about get to San Carlos.

your average speed will be no more than 40km an hour.

you are also not forced to get the Toledo-San Carlos ferry. In fact I think if you took the Dumanjug-Guihulngan ferry over to Negros, that would be a much quicker way to Sipalay from Cebu.

for the route on the map in reply #4, I would allow at least two, and probably more like three weeks.

blaze pontaine

The cebu-sipalay route is possible to do on an xrm 125 in one day with a backrider: I know because i've done exactly that. The dumanjug-guihulngan ferry isn't recommened because it doesn't run on a set schedule, you might sit there for 5 hours waiting for enough passengers to show up. 

It was a 14 hour trip, Cebu to Toledo, boat to san carlos, across the mountain to bacolod, then south to sipalay.  The road was 100% paved the entire way.  Every hour I would stop and rest the engine for 15 minutes. 

On the west coast of negros, the road is under repair around bayawan.  Last time I rode there was almost a year ago, perhaps the road is finished now. 

Also, dont forget to put sunscreen on your fingers if you wear gloves.

Edited by blaze pontaine
  • Like 1

udonthani

rather you than me. 14 hours on a bike. 2.5 is more than enough for me. When I was in Dumaguete Larry (Shadow here) asked me if I was going to Sipalay on the bike. I said no and not just because I had been before - my girl hadn't and I know she would have liked it.

it was because it was out of range and in the wrong direction from where we were ultimately headed, Mindanao. I knew we would have to stop somewhere like Bayawan on the way there, and also on the way back. That is four days, just in transit.

blaze pontaine

Cebu to Sipalay is my limit for distance traveled in one day.  Wake up early, ride to toledo, get on the ferry and sleep for 90 minutes.  Ride across to Bacolod, have lunch, rest for an hour then head south to sipalay stopping every hour to rest. 

I've done that trip about 5 times, its about 8 hours actual riding time plus 2 hours on the boat.  Its not easy but can certainly be done in 1 day. 

• Like 4

udonthani

you could easily walk it, in a week.

less than half amount of time if you decided to run it.

BlueFin

Cebu to Sipalay is my limit for distance traveled in one day.  Wake up early, ride to toledo, get on the ferry and sleep for 90 minutes.  Ride across to Bacolod, have lunch, rest for an hour then head south to sipalay stopping every hour to rest. 

I've done that trip about 5 times, its about 8 hours actual riding time plus 2 hours on the boat.  Its not easy but can certainly be done in 1 day. 

Nice one.

So it's the 7am RoRo from Toledo.

What time would you leave Cebu city to make that?

Allow 3 hours to be sure to get there before time and not be at the back of the queue for the boat?

Edited by BlueFin

udonthani

it should be fairly clear to anyone that can read a map on their own account, that if you wanted to get to Sipalay from Cebu as quickly as you possibly could without getting on an aircraft at Mactan to Bacolod and then taking a taxi, the ferry to take is not Toledo-San Carlos, but the Dumanjug-Guihulngan. Although it is a longer drive from Cebu city to Dumanjug than it is to Toledo, it is a quicker ferry crossing and when you arrive in Negros, Guihulngan is much closer to Sipalay than San Carlos is. I have never taken that ferry but I have seen it in dock you can get a bike on it and at least three of then leave every day, one of which will be very early in the morning.

BlueFin

it should be fairly clear to anyone that can read a map on their own account, that if you wanted to get to Sipalay from Cebu as quickly as you possibly could without getting on an aircraft at Mactan to Bacolod and then taking a taxi, the ferry to take is not Toledo-San Carlos, but the Dumanjug-Guihulngan. Although it is a longer drive from Cebu city to Dumanjug than it is to Toledo, it is a quicker ferry crossing and when you arrive in Negros, Guihulngan is much closer to Sipalay than San Carlos is. I have never taken that ferry but I have seen it in dock you can get a bike on it and at least three of then leave every day, one of which will be very early in the morning.

OK cool .. thanks. Not looking for the quickest route (via aircraft), looking for another bike safari.

In Luzon I own a Yamaha XT 400 - I've done Banaue, Sagada, Aurora, Bataan, Ilocos Norte and Sur, Pampanga and Zambales.

In Bohol I've rented an XR 200 and done most of that Island (XR 200 is so uncomfortable).

In Davao (city) rented and XRM 125 and did the city plus Samal Island.

In Palawan rented an XR 200 and traveled around the city and up to Sabang (twice).

In Cebu I've only done Cebu city to Moalboal and back on the XRM 125.

So I'm experienced in enough in various bike sizes and various terrain (on road, off road and everything in between).

Cebu to Sipalay should be another nice trip. The weather this time of year is always a gamble but as long as no Typhoon or low pressure system is on the radar I'm fine with that.

• Like 1