ShawnM

Guess what? Look around ... It all works and fits together here ... It's not Kansas and about anyone is gonna have a hard and bitter life here if they cannot  (1) accept what is here and (2) work within what is here on a daily basis to accomplish lifes' daily routines.

Open_Ended; I guess I should apologize if my reply to the OP seemed like I was bitter or complaining.  I was attempting to use a recent, real experience to explain how frustrating construction can be in the Philippines and my personal opinion that it would be a very difficult endeavor to start a construction business in the PI.

I've reread my response to the OP and am still confused about your reply, do you think I should accept a 20' piece of bamboo as a utility pole?  As for asking a professional service (I assume you mean the design firm I hired) more than one question...I do this for a living and told them before I hired them that I will review all drawings and will be the one to approve them before they are submitted.  I promise you there were many discussions and they assured me that they do a good job, unfortunately that was a challenge.

I appreciate your insight on how the government operates and I think most folks that have spent time in the PI understand how slow things are; again, my reply was to the OP about a construction business in the PI and used my limited experience in a residential build as an example.

I don't ride motorcycles, but if you come my way I can show you a good spot to go fishing for some snakehead.

Shawn

Open_Ended

Guess what? Look around ... It all works and fits together here ... It's not Kansas and about anyone is gonna have a hard and bitter life here if they cannot  (1) accept what is here and (2) work within what is here on a daily basis to accomplish lifes' daily routines.

Open_Ended; I guess I should apologize if my reply to the OP seemed like I was bitter or complaining.  I was attempting to use a recent, real experience to explain how frustrating construction can be in the Philippines and my personal opinion that it would be a very difficult endeavor to start a construction business in the PI.

I've reread my response to the OP and am still confused about your reply, do you think I should accept a 20' piece of bamboo as a utility pole?  As for asking a professional service (I assume you mean the design firm I hired) more than one question...I do this for a living and told them before I hired them that I will review all drawings and will be the one to approve them before they are submitted.  I promise you there were many discussions and they assured me that they do a good job, unfortunately that was a challenge.

I appreciate your insight on how the government operates and I think most folks that have spent time in the PI understand how slow things are; again, my reply was to the OP about a construction business in the PI and used my limited experience in a residential build as an example.

I don't ride motorcycles, but if you come my way I can show you a good spot to go fishing for some snakehead.

Shawn

No, that's a great post you made that seems very typical to how business are run here from my view point and dealings... And as you stated before, do you want to test your sanity with dealing with this stuff as a career here? Maybe over time, running a business can get smoother I'd guess but flying low and under the radar might make a pretty good life here also in the smaller business world ..

That transformer and light pole saga will have to be dealt with in some matter ... I'd ask my local friends how to get around paying for it and just do what ever they tell me to so ... I'm down with the no-brainer ride in cases like this where I have no clue the 1st time I deal with it ... I'd just drag my feet as much as possible on that one and keep my ears open for a fix that you liked ...It just seems like many times the locals can get stuff done on the low side ...

I hear ya on that blueprint work ... Education or maybe supervision comes into play so many times here I think ... These guys are better fabricators and welders here :)

It really helps to get some locals you can trust quickly and just use their judgement alot ...  Just let them run the show as much as possible has worked for me alot of times ... Most of my stuff here is dirt biking so its not so complex as building a home ... Meeting some of you guys that might be real carpenter is a plus for me for sure...

--

Yep it is frustrating here to me also .. But I just try to remember when I'm at and just go to a slower gear and relax ...