leviatan24

HI people. I'm building and renovation company in London. Thinking about moving to Cebu as my wife in from there. I got 12 y of experience and big knowledge about any aspect of building. Do you guys think that is a good idea to live London and go To Cebu ? Just want your opinion or advice  on that one   :)

Regards 

Thomas

Brucewayne

Sure, but people here go more for cheap than quality when it comes to anything, including housing.

You are in for a big surprise if you think there is a large market for quality housing here.

Learn to build compact compartments using the most inferior materials you can find and you may make a small amount of money.

• Like 3
stevensanph

Also bear in mind you cannot legally work here as a contractor or an engineer, nor setup your own construction company.  That is a sector reserved only for Filipino's.  The best you could do is consult for a local firm.  If your married, your wife could own said company and you could consult, but be aware there is fierce competition from locals which you would have to contend with.  You would still need to hire a licensed engineer to sign off blueprints and permits as you would be unable to obtain PRC certification.

Davaoeno

Since you have already stated that you are married its very easy for you to incorporate a new company with your wife as majority shareholder and start your business. 

Of course you do realize that virtually all housing here is done with concrete, that finding skilled workers who will actually work and not rob you can be hard to do [ but not impossible], that almost no power tools are used [ because labor is cheaper than electricity , and because no one has respect for any tools here],   

It also sounds as though you will have no contacts in the building trade in Cebu and really have no idea about living in Cebu, so I would suggest that you remedy those two things first before you consider relocating to do business here . 

• Like 4
fred42

I was in the domestic housing building game in the UK for years (finishing trades) and construction methods and materials here are completely different to the UK..

• Like 2
leviatan24

HI guys. thx  you al for the information. looks like that trade is like heaven to hell when you compare London to Cebu:) actually I'm going to live in Moalboal as then is where my wife is from . Option was to live in Cebu and do some business there. For now i think i may move to Moalboal build my own house maybe build piggery and see what will happens  :)  Is it true that if MY wife live abroad for more that one year when it comes to go back to philippines and send all our good back there ,we don't have to pay any stamp duties for containers we send from London ?? 

Best regards 

Thomas and Leyann ;) 

Brucewayne

HI guys. thx  you al for the information. looks like that trade is like heaven to hell when you compare London to Cebu:) actually I'm going to live in Moalboal as then is where my wife is from . Option was to live in Cebu and do some business there. For now i think i may move to Moalboal build my own house maybe build piggery and see what will happens   :)  Is it true that if MY wife live abroad for more that one year when it comes to go back to philippines and send all our good back there ,we don't have to pay any stamp duties for containers we send from London ?? 

Best regards 

Thomas and Leyann ;)

Mark all of them "Used household goods" and you will supposedly have less trouble getting them through with minimal delay.

• Like 1
Open_Ended

Hi and welcome aboard and not sure on that shipping question ...

Not sure on how you are gonna work it out for getting over here, but it would be a good idea to come on over and get setup, maybe build the house and get some insight on the business of building here ...Maybe not build the house till you are sure you even like and can live here .... Then after you get a grasp of the building trade here, move into it using some of the information on this thread.. I'm no builder but one of the most used shortcut for saving money is in the cement ... And there is a lot of cement here ... But they just have a formula with too much sand or too little cement ... However you wanna put it but its a cement problem to be aware of from jump street ....

There should be lots of entry points into your business here I'd guess ... Big scale and smaller also I'd guess ... You probably have a skill set that needs to be used here as much as possible ... You'll just have to find a slot you can fit in and use it here ... You gotta know that these guys have a tried&tested system for building here that maybe you can somehow  crack into and make a few pesos  ....

The SRP area in Cebu is building lots down there now ... That's the big scale .. Myself, I'm down down on the micro scale ... Its all possible here and you can have a good time all along the way also :) ... 

--

As far as a good idea to leave the 1st world and live in the 3rd world? Your call but it is 100% right for me ... I ride dirt bikes all over the provinces of Cebu and its a trail rider mecca here ... With that said, there is not alot here to do on a daily basis so be aware of that surprise...

One more word, leave where ever you came from back there ... Ya gotta get in with the new village now ...

And good luck when you arrive!

PS -- I might need a home built in a couple yrs ... maybe we will get together and build my house the Filipino way and with a good cement base ...

HI guys. thx  you al for the information. looks like that trade is like heaven to hell when you compare London to Cebu:) actually I'm going to live in Moalboal as then is where my wife is from . Option was to live in Cebu and do some business there. For now i think i may move to Moalboal build my own house maybe build piggery and see what will happens   :)  Is it true that if MY wife live abroad for more that one year when it comes to go back to philippines and send all our good back there ,we don't have to pay any stamp duties for containers we send from London ?? 

Best regards 

Thomas and Leyann ;)

Edited by Open_Ended
  • Like 1
samatm

The place is booming with construction and you have the skills.   come over take it slow as your plan and  then see what comes of it.      I think you could get into build your own rental homes   around  Moalboal.   You could be in charge of your own construction saving a lot of money in materials and fees building to the quality standards you choose.   

• Like 2
leviatan24

Thank you all for the replay. I know that Cebu is booming at the moment. I was in Cebu 6 time in the last 2 y. That is why I see opportunity  to do some building business. i well know Moalboal . And for those who want to live there I can make sure that the house anyone want to build i can provide quality and finish on time :) which is not easy to achieve there. I got all the tool I mean one container of proper tools if you know what I mean. Anyway I'm thinking what do to as I would love to Live in Cebu. Drive motorbike and diving !! I just  love that !!!

Regards 

Thomas 

Davaoeno

for those who want to live there I can make sure that the house anyone want to build i can provide quality and finish on time

You make it sound so easy !!  lol   Part of providing quality is that its done at a price that the buyer can afford- so might I ask how much you will charge per square meter ?    As to finishing on time - what are your contingencies for the factors that you have no control over ?

Headshot

You make it sound so easy !!  lol   Part of providing quality is that its done at a price that the buyer can afford- so might I ask how much you will charge per square meter ?    As to finishing on time - what are your contingencies for the factors that you have no control over ?

Sorry Ian, but I disagree. There are three parts to every project (or product)...quality (high), time (fast) and cost (inexpensive). Cost is NOT part of quality. It is at odds with it. The same is true of time. The old saying is that you can pick any two and sacrifice the third, or you can compromise somewhat on all three, but you can't have all three. My usual preference is to compromise...but compromise quality the least.

Open_Ended

Thanks for the offer and I'll be sure to contact you or another friend here from the UK that has a background in building stuff before I finalize any home building I might do in the future ... I'm in no rush really because I highly doubt any home\land values are gonna rise much where I plan on living so that angle of long time holding of a home will make you money in the long term, does not really exist here as in the states ... Probably 12-15 Ks will get me what I want, maybe less ... So what I really need is new location in the province to live at.

--

Those tools will be a big asset to have here...

I found the pic below due to another thread but it applies here ... And you might wanna check on this somehow as maybe a long-term, big scale work that would involve all the GOV paperwork and BS for taxes and whatever else probably ...

I've seen a few other plans these guys have here and it may take 20-30 yrs to get a good start and maybe a finish .. Budgets are real here and only so much cash around.

This pic is of the proposed Bogo City Business district  .. This may be a > 50 yr project ... Only the city hall is out there now and some other large DEPT store being built.

post-15077-0-90822300-1377843143_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for the replay. I know that Cebu is booming at the moment. I was in Cebu 6 time in the last 2 y. That is why I see opportunity  to do some building business. i well know Moalboal . And for those who want to live there I can make sure that the house anyone want to build i can provide quality and finish on time :) which is not easy to achieve there. I got all the tool I mean one container of proper tools if you know what I mean. Anyway I'm thinking what do to as I would love to Live in Cebu. Drive motorbike and diving !! I just  love that !!!

Regards 

Thomas 

Edited by Open_Ended

Interesting topic; I think a lot of expats thinking about retiring in the Philippines, myself included, wonder what we are going to do to occupy our retired days.  We have skills and normally a job we loved; so can we use those skills?  As an construction guy, I don't know if trying to start up a construction business would help your sanity.

I'm in the process of building a house in Negros and, to be honest, it is very frustrating.  I think a lot of folks just hire a local company to build hoping for a turn key op.  I'm going in a different direction in that I will oversee the construction (granted from across the pond, and a bit of desert in my situation).  Just getting a title is an adventure (fortunately the wife had to deal with that). 

I hired a design firm to take my design and put it on some blueprints so I could get them signed off and get the building permits.  An absolute nightmare, the lack of detail and them just changing things about drove me nuts.  They quote the National Structural Code of the Philippines, their electric code, the plumbing code but in reality seemed to have no clue what is actually in these standards.  When you call them out the answer is that it is just how they do things...?????  I can't count the number of things that were just left off the drawings...column designation for example or calling for 1" conduit for a receptacle circuit that had 4 receptacles.  I ended up red lining the drawings and just had them make the corrections but it took 2 months for a very simple house plan.

We are building in a relatively new "subdivision" and the local electric company is being a pain.  Even though there should be someone that realizes that houses are going to be built in what used to be agricultural land and they will need to run some power out there; they think I should buy the utility poles and transformer.  I told them I'd buy the transformer and I would expect it to be "mine" and no other secondaries would come off of it, to include even a street light and was told that is not how they do things.  Negotiations are on going...curious though how the couple other folks that have started their build will ever get electricity...maybe they are waiting on me to buy the poles and transformer?

These are just a couple examples; I just could not imagine trying to make a go with your "own" construction business without having a bunch of locals you trust to deal with the BS involved.  A niche like cabinetry and countertops (I love the look of concrete countertops) would be interesting.  Something I think could work would be as a consultant/inspector for folks that want/expect a bit better quality than the norm.

Anyway, I wish the best of luck to the OP and hope he can make it work.

Shawn

Open_Ended

Interesting topic; I think a lot of expats thinking about retiring in the Philippines, myself included, wonder what we are going to do to occupy our retired days.  We have skills and normally a job we loved; so can we use those skills?  As an construction guy, I don't know if trying to start up a construction business would help your sanity.

Shawn

Too bad on your story and it sounds 100% believable, almost typical ... Every-time I hear a story like this or see the locals in the mountains doing hard manual labor to make small improvements to the roads up there or whatever, I remember all the people from the country I left crying every day about too much GOV ... Sorry, but If you don't have someone trying to stop the population from screwing over each other on a hourly basis in business deals, you will have a 3rd world country as on display here ... I'm OK with the 3rd world here and like the freedoms here and I know to watch what is happening to me and mine on every transaction. 

With that said, in my previous posts I was trying to stress to learn what the locals are doing and then do the things needed to fix any short comings in their process... And the smaller business works can probably be streamlined alot over the large scale companies when the GOV is lurking around. .. Walking into as large a project as a home and not knowing any locals to help, you will get a home but not sure on the final cost or quality as to your plans ...Any time any professional services are needed, you have best ask more than one critical question to verify their work performance... GOV is same as any other ... slow and out of sight ...

Guess what? Look around ... It all works and fits together here ... It's not Kansas and about anyone is gonna have a hard and bitter life here if they cannot  (1) accept what is here and (2) work within what is here on a daily basis to accomplish lifes' daily routines.

I've heard a similar light-pole story since I arrived here the 1st time ... In the mountain BRGYs, they just cut a stick the right length and prop the ELEC wires up that way ... I don't mind riding my bike up there and seeing low hanging water lines or cloths lines, but low hanging ELEC wires are a little spooky ...

Good luck on your home ...

PS -- Buy a dirt bike and we'll ride the mountains each day ... Its a dirt bike riding mecca here 365 days a yr ...

Edited by Open_Ended