Sign in to follow this  
shanelec

Timber Decking & Accessories

shanelec

Hi Guys 

Im in the process of Building a deck at my Place In Cebu  Just wondering of anyone can give me a heads up on where to get some Materials from 

I have been to the Belmonts & Ace Hardwares etc etc they only stock New Zealand Decking which is good timber but looking at alternatives also the Local timber/Lumber seems a lot more expensive  also fixings such as Deck Nails or Screws would be Handy 

Any Suggestions would be great 

Skywalker

I hope you like termites?

I would always use screws (brass or stainless steel) for decking, as nails can come loose easily and you end up with creaking planks.

Knowdafish

I wish they had composite decking material like they have in the U.S. It looks like wood (sort of) but is made from recycled plastic and wood chips. It is rot, termite, and bug proof, and the last decking material you will need to ever buy. It is a little bit on the expensive side but it is cheaper than having to rebuild a deck multiple times or constantly refinish one. I've seen it used in place of pressure treated lumber for boat docks, and even after being exposed for 10 years to the elements it still looks good. It comes with a 20 year warranty. 

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc5mb/h_d2/Navigation?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

• Like 1

SkyMan

I would always use screws (brass or stainless steel) for decking, as nails can come loose easily and you end up with creaking planks.

Anyone who uses nails for a deck should be shot.  After an extended flogging of course. 

Here the holes should be predrilled because the crappy chinese screw heads twist off too easily but if the threads are rubbed on bar soap before use it helps.

shanelec

Thanks for that guys PVC is a great options will check it out wehen i get home tomorrow . Also didn't know about Wilcon I hope they have some more variety here ive had to import a quite impressive Dewalt Kit from Home to assist me as they dont have a great range of cordless gear here.

Paul
On the forums index page of this site, the forum description: 

Forum Questions  
Members' Complaints About This Site
Questions on how the software works, and other posting type help.

In the future, please select the appropriate forum for your topic, prior to posting it. 
  • Like 1

Knowdafish

Thanks for that guys PVC is a great options will check it out wehen i get home tomorrow . Also didn't know about Wilcon I hope they have some more variety here ive had to import a quite impressive Dewalt Kit from Home to assist me as they dont have a great range of cordless gear here.

I hope you brought more than one "impressive" Dewalt battery for your cordless. Mine didn't even last a year. I should have stuck with Makita. 

• Like 1

Headshot

I hope you brought more than one "impressive" Dewalt battery for your cordless. Mine didn't even last a year. I should have stuck with Makita. 

That's too bad. I have several of the DeWalt 18v battery tools back in the US. What made them nice was that the batteries were interchangeable between tools, so you always had fresh batteries regardless of which tool you were using. I never had a battery go bad, but they are readily available in the US if one did. If you have a battery go bad here, you just have to have someone buy one in the US and send it to you...because they aren't available here. Why? Because the chargers are set up for 110v and the standard voltage here is 220v. Easily fixed with a little 220/110 volt transformer, but unfortunately, they still aren't available here. Next year, I am planning to get some more DeWalt tools to send back in BB boxes. Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking clearly, and got rid of my tools when I moved.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Knowdafish

My Dewalt, which I still have, is a 12v. The price of their batteries are ridiculous. For not much more than the price of one 12v Dewalt battery I can buy a whole other set with drill, battery and charger. I paid $95 for a 12v set (which was a very good deal), and they want $59.95 for a 12v battery? I didn't shop around, but those were the prices at Home Depot the last time I checked. 

I used many a Makita cordless drill in a business I had, 3 drills as a matter of fact. Batteries would normally last for 3 or so years with everyday, heavy use. I used 7.2v, 9.6v, and 12v. Replacement Makita batteries weren't cheap, but they weren't close to 2/3 the price of buying a new set either. I should have kept my 12v Makita when I sold my business. Out of all the Makita power tools I've had, the only repair I ever had to have done was to have a trigger switch replaced on an old 9.6v drill I had. Besides buying replacement batteries that was it, and that was for 3 cordless drills, 1 angle grinder, 4 corded drills, and a 3/4" electric impact. 

Comparing the two brands, I will always never buy another Dewalt cordless tool. Maybe I got a lemon of a battery, I don't know. I do know it was well taken care of, so that couldn't have been a factor. It was used to drive about 2-3000 screws, so I don't think it was over used or abused, as my Makita batteries would do that in a year times 3. The only reason I bought the Dewalt was because it was on sale at the time, and was quite a bit less than the equivalent Makita. Oh well, live and learn.

As a side note, I've seen more than one pinoy rigged cordless drill that has a 12v wet cell motorcycle battery strapped to the bottom of it. I just might end up doing that with my Dewalt. 

A cordless battery is almost a necessity after always having one for 25 years or so. I sure wouldn't want to install a deck without one. Too bad most corded drills do a terrible job of driving screws. The only ones that are fairly decent are the ones drywallers use. They are almost on par with pneumatic ones. 

• Like 1

shanelec

Yeah I did .. I bought the 10 piece combo kit which as 4 x 18v 4a/h batteries .. As its from Australia the charger suits here in the Phils

I have. Had dewalt for most of my career and have tried the bosch and makita tools i have just found dewalt very robust and have given it plenty of grief which out to much failure . If I can get two years out if a drill I'm doing good ..

My 1/4 impact driver will be fine for the deck ... It's was just just air freight chargers that killed me to get the kit here

Knowdafish

If I can get two years out if a drill I'm doing good .. My 1/4 impact driver will be fine for the deck ...

The drill only lasts 2 years or the battery? I've NEVER had a Makita drill failure (except the one that needed a new trigger switch) in 25 years of use! And that includes the ones that have fallen off or roofs and ladders!

The 1/4" impact looks like a cool tool. I forgot about that. I've seen it in action on some of the home fix-it type T.V. shows. 

shanelec

Yeah it's my favorite tool of the kit apart from the rotary hammer drill and recipro saw .. The 18volt drill is the only tool I have had issues with but I use it every day and it doesn't just drill screws it drills a lot of hole saws through metal cabinets and wood etc so it gets a real hard time .. Dewalt have been great in the past where they replace it straight away under warranty.. The only batteries I have burnt out is from the drill failing where it shorted out internally thus shorting my battery also.. Not taking anything away from Makita they have some good tools out there ...