How dangerous is living in the Philippines?

spooks

My Filipina found your statement laughable.

She and all six of her siblings were raised in Mindanao, five of them born and raised there. All seven of them plus her parents, chose to leave Mindanao and live in the Visayas, as soon as each was able.

Having done Christian missionary work in Mindanao , she's been in most of the provinces there, having spent time with many indigenous tribes. She states that in general, the natives aren't friendly toward foreigners.

I used to work with a Filipina here in the U.S., who was born and raised in Zamboanga Sur. She flies home to ZamSur once a year to visit her parents, who were born and raised in Mindanao, and have spent their entire lives there.

Her parents have forbidden her from bringing her American husband with her, not just because they believe it to be dangerous for him, but also because he could potentially endanger their family also.

Oh, but what could natives of Mindanao possibly know about the place, when there are so many know-it-all foreigners who've lived there a few years and are self-proclaimed "experts" on the island. :sarcasm:

I do not post as an expert, never have done. I post as an active participant, what do you post as? go give us all a laugh :db:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThomsonJr

• smokey

• JamesMusslewhite

• Kabisay-an gid

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so let me get this straight ... 51 year old foreigner MARRIED is with is 19 year old mistress and both are shot.... hummmmmmmm If it was a robbery usually they just shot the foreigner due to the fact

I live where there are limited resources for entertainment. Dream satellite is pretty limited. My Internet connection is very slow so I can't download movies. No theaters or malls near my home. Yo

As safe or as dangerous as you want to make it.

Posted Images

nice try Lee !!  i pointed out how incorrect your post was and you just decide to argue about something else as tho that was the contentious point !!  

You werent talking about walls- you were talking about walls covered in broken glass.  reread your original post because you cant seem to remember what you actually wrote.  And since subdivisions are businesses i stand behine my statement that other than at businesses i dont see armed guards everywhere. 

I would rather wear rose colored glasses than the blindfold you seem to be wearing !!   

Ian I do not think it would matter what I or any other member posted, since guys like you have nothing better than to try to pick on what anyone says since YOU do not wish to agree with anyone who does not see everything your way and I believe even if they did, you would still argue with them for the fun of it to stir the shit. I have been going back and forth to the Philippines for about 19 years and I know what I see and I know family and people I have known who have been victims of crimes, so guys like you should keep wearing their rose colored glasses and keep their heads firmly planted in the dirt and believe what you or they want to and I just hope that one day you or any other expat does not have to find out first hand how it might not be as safe as YOU feel it is. 

Oh and the high walls for the most part do have glass and other sharp items on top of them but maybe you are not tall enough to see that high   :itsokay: with your heads in the sand.

Edited by Lee
  • Like 1
smokey

Ian I do not think it would matter what I or any other member posted, since guys like you have nothing better than to try to pick on what anyone says since YOU do not wish to agree with anyone who does not see everything your way and I believe even if they did, you would still argue with them for the fun of it to stir the shit. I have been going back and forth to the Philippines for about 19 years and I know what I see and I know family and people I have known who have been victims of crimes, so guys like you should keep wearing their rose colored glasses and keep their heads firmly planted in the dirt and believe what you or they want to and I just hope that one day you or any other expat does not have to find out first hand how it might not be as safe as YOU feel it is. 

Oh and the high walls for the most part do have glass and other sharp items on top of them but maybe you are not tall enough to see that high.  :itsokay:

but you live in a condo do they have broken glass on your deck?  

• Like 1

but you live in a condo do they have broken glass on your deck?  

No they have armed guards just like those in your neighborhood but I can look down on all the walled houses with broken glass. 

smokey

No they have armed guards just like those in your neighborhood but I can look down on all the walled houses with broken glass. 

well maybe you should move to the outskirts of town we are more kick back i dont even have a lock for my 5 foot gate

• Like 1
Kabisay-an gid

In my experience Filipinos are the worst fear mongers of all regarding anywhere in Mindanao. My ex and her family were from Illigan, who moved to Cebu over 10 years ago. They had nothing good to say about the entire island or its people either.

Iligan City is notorious for car bombings and grenade attacks on civilians. Sounds like your ex and her family had the good sense to get out. Things haven't gotten any better in Iligan City since they moved.

2 killed, 36 injured in Iligan City grenade attack

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/188283/2-killed-36-injured-in-iligan-city-grenade-attack#ixzz2d96yK4AL

ILIGAN CITY, Philippines—Police authorities here said Sunday they were still piecing together evidence to determine the motive and the identities of bombers in Saturday’s [May 5, 2012] grenade attack that killed two people (not three as earlier reported) and wounded 36 others....In July 2010, a grenade attack in the city was blamed on a group of car thieves retaliating against a police crackdown on their activities. Seven people were injured in the 2010 blast that hit the Iligan public market. In July 2009, a car bomb exploded in the city, wounding at least nine persons, including three soldiers.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

Iligan City is notorious for car bombings and grenade attacks on civilians. Sounds like your ex and her family had the good sense to get out. Things haven't gotten any better in Iligan City since they moved.

Do yourself a big favor son, stay in the US because the Philippines is much too dangerous for you. But please stop shit-talking men who actually live here.  News flash most of the men you like to insult just because they refuse to wet themselves over you "chicken-little act" are also married to locals. Those locals have family and those families live here now, presently, even as we speak..... And those locals are very aware of the way things are in the places of their heritage.  There over 1/2 million expats in this country and there are 1.2 million tourist last year alone, and last year there less than 100 foreigners murdered. "Yes everybody, RUN THE SKY IS FALLING!!!"....

Damn cowards shit-talking better men than themselves gets just a little old...

• Like 3
Alan S

With almost 100 posts, a thread that started out with some sensible information has now deteriorated to name-calling and criticism of other members.

Hence I am closing this thead.

As some of the informaiton is useful and safety is an oft-asked topic, I will leave this thread here, so others can read it.

(Other moderators / admins may choose to  move it elsewhere.)

• Like 2