How dangerous is living in the Philippines?

ThomsonJr

oh and they also killed his innocent 19 year old mistress who happened to be with him. 

Case still unsolved.

Philippines safe? Yeap.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• ThomsonJr

• JamesMusslewhite

• Kabisay-an gid

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so let me get this straight ... 51 year old foreigner MARRIED is with is 19 year old mistress and both are shot.... hummmmmmmm If it was a robbery usually they just shot the foreigner due to the fact

I live where there are limited resources for entertainment. Dream satellite is pretty limited. My Internet connection is very slow so I can't download movies. No theaters or malls near my home. Yo

As safe or as dangerous as you want to make it.

Posted Images

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I live in Macon, Ga. Same thing very dangerous place if you go to certian parts  etc.Crime is high as a whole. But we avoid the hood,and businesses near the hood.

I guess you have to know,plus I never leave home unarmed, usually.

Funny thing. There is a  strip of hotels in the worst part of town, but next to  the interstate.decent chain hotels with good ratings .  Odd thing is I would not dare walk around at night out there. poor travelers don't know.. I guess when you are out of town  you don't know.

Crime is typically spiked around interstates / expressways - easy in and out. 

I was coming from the fairgrounds the other night. I stopped at the red light at MLK. It was a bad part of town, and I was  off guard and had  my window down, before I knew it a  high profile potential perp approached my  window. I calmly stuck a Glock27 in his face and he retreated, with a WTH look. I felt bad for doing it but you can't ever take  chances.

Probably thought you were there to buy drugs. 

JamesMusslewhite

oh and they also killed his innocent 19 year old mistress who happened to be with him. 

Case still unsolved.

Philippines safe? Yeap.

I assume we are talking about the beach shooting in CDO?

ThomsonJr

I assume we are talking about the beach shooting in CDO?

Yes, I don't know who'se on the case, but this guy really was one of the more pleasant expats to be around with in the Philippines. He gets not so much attention here and in the media, but he definitely was much more than any of the other expats that go to that country, he had build his own little empire.

JamesMusslewhite

Yes, I don't know who'se on the case, but this guy really was one of the more pleasant expats to be around with in the Philippines. He gets not so much attention here and in the media, but he definitely was much more than any of the other expats that go to that country, he had build his own little empire.

I have never met Michael Allan Turner and there is so much contradictions in the media coverage surrounding the case. Most tend to suggest that he made a lot of enemies among the local businessmen and police. The shooting does suggest that it was a rage shooting done by professional shooters. I hope they find the culprits and his family finds justice for both Michael and his companion. 

Skywalker

but he definitely was much more than any of the other expats that go to that country

How on Earth could you arrive at that conclusion?  What a strange and uninformed statement.

Some of us might have built empires at home, so we could retire here in some comfort, without the need to work here, and potentially upset the locals?

Edit:  Oh yeah, and we are still alive!  So who is the smart guy after all?

Edited by Skywalker
smokey

so let me get this straight ... 51 year old foreigner MARRIED is with is 19 year old mistress and both are shot.... hummmmmmmm If it was a robbery usually they just shot the foreigner due to the fact that the mistress could have family that dont get mad but gets even ... but as the mistress is shot also... well sounds a little personal to me,   the butler did it 

• Like 5
ThomsonJr

How on Earth could you arrive at that conclusion?  What a strange and uninformed statement.

Some of us might have built empires at home, so we could retire here in some comfort, without the need to work here, and potentially upset the locals?

Enjoy your retirement dude... you come to the Philippines and spend your money earned back home, but some of us come to Asia and actually make money here.

Yeah, you're a big shot, retired old man with lots of money, heh. Hope you enjoy your past success, hope you enjoy living in the past.

Edited by ThomsonJr
ThomsonJr

I find it funny that some guys come to countries like the Philippines and Thailand and pretend to know the ins and outs of the whole culture, country etc. while sitting on their lazy ass and waiting for a lazy monthly check. You guys got it easy, and don't get me wrong, as i've got a grandfather who is 82 years old and still working every day because he can't sit still, so being old isn't an excuse for doing nothing.

My friend who got killed already succeeded quite a bit back in the US. Maybe he did something wrong, maybe it was an insider, maybe it were his business partners who screwed him over and who he sued, maybe it was the criminal with who he had a rather rough encounter with... nobody knows! But he is DEAD and he was a good man and one of the most pleasant foreigners i've met in Cebu, very relaxed, honest and open minded and on top of that not a bragger, he was working every day, unlike many of you guys.

Edited by ThomsonJr
ThomsonJr

oh and about the mistress, his wife knew about it very well. That's his choice and that's the life he decided to live.

Now, after you read this message, go back to your lazy boring lives, hope you enjoy bragging about how succesful you were back home and how easy and relaxed your new life is. I'm sure my friend could have done exactly the same as you guys, but he was a workaholic and addicted to the thrill of making money and building something up. 

C'mon, go start a business and make 36 Million PHP per year... in the Philippines. C'mon big man, let me see what you can do!

Edited by ThomsonJr
Skywalker

I smell the bitter odour of envy.  Hehehehe

As the immature guy in the Fantastic 4 would say  "Flame on".

ThomsonJr

I smell the bitter odour of envy.  Hehehehe

As the immature guy in the Fantastic 4 would say  "Flame on".

Hey hope you're doing okay... hope you enjoy your lazy days in the Philippines, but don't compare yourself with any entrepreneur who lives in the Philippines and actually makes money IN the Philippines.

Skywalker

but some of us come to Asia and actually make money here.

And good luck.  I will do what I like with my money, and I don't need anyone to lecture me about how I should live my life!

Usually the people who do that, are the one's who want to take the attention away from their own empty lives.

• Like 1
ThomsonJr

And good luck.  I will do what I like with my money, and I don't need anyone to lecture me about how I should live my life!

Usually the people who do that, are the one's who want to take the attention away from their own empty lives.

Nah dude, you don't need to speculate here. You're retired. You don't have a business, you are not making any money in Asia. You just have passive income.

Don't compare yourself with guys who come to Asia and make money. That's not you, you're just spending money here, not making it. 

Have fun though.. don't know where all the hate comes from, abviously it's you who has some emptiness in your life, not me. 

Edited by ThomsonJr

I live where there are limited resources for entertainment. Dream satellite is pretty limited. My Internet connection is very slow so I can't download movies. No theaters or malls near my home. You get the picture. But, thanks to this forum, I can always count on a bit of entertainment. The back and forth of members and their cranky words to each other are like watching some sort of wrestling competition where the opponents spend as much time pissing and moaning as they do actually wrestling.

Keep up the good job.

Oh yeah, once in a while throw in a comment or two about the original topic so you won't get thrown out for a technical foul!

Whoops, that includes me. Okay.

In my opinion, and I stress it is just an opinion, the Philippines is a safe country to live in. I do protect myself and family from some common crimes like burglary. As far as avoiding "trouble in the streets" not a problem where I live as they roll up the streets a few hours after sunset.

For newcomers, please don't be discouraged by the missives about dangers. Using good sense is your greatest source of protective action.

• Like 5