How dangerous is living in the Philippines?

bahalina buong

As for the Philippines specifically.... I feel a lot safer here than I do in Detroit and Flint, but not as safe as living in the countryside in the US. In short how safe it is depends on who you are and what you are comparing it to.

I was just going to post that.  If a foreigner doesn't realize the Phils is many times more dangerous than their own country, they either come from a really lousy place, or they are completely delusional.  Of course, the happiest foreigners here have mastered the art of self-delusion. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThomsonJr

• smokey

• JamesMusslewhite

• Kabisay-an gid

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so let me get this straight ... 51 year old foreigner MARRIED is with is 19 year old mistress and both are shot.... hummmmmmmm If it was a robbery usually they just shot the foreigner due to the fact

I live where there are limited resources for entertainment. Dream satellite is pretty limited. My Internet connection is very slow so I can't download movies. No theaters or malls near my home. Yo

As safe or as dangerous as you want to make it.

Posted Images

Kabisay-an gid

I never used to worry about living in compounds or guarded area's here but since living in the boondocks( thought I would try it out) and other parts of this country the well off philippino's know what they are doing. Why else if they have money do they live in guarded community's have driver/hitman as their employees and have more barbwire and razor wire over their gates and walls then some prisons i have seen in the 90s.

For ex-pats who live in an area where they feel a fence or wall are necessary, but don't want that "maximum security prison" look that barbed/concertina wire gives a property, I recommend fence/wall spikes. They're more discreet and aesthetically pleasing than "prison" wire strung everywhere. Many different styles are available for virtually any fence or wall.

1345458782_430494984_5-FENCING-RAZOR-WIR

1367401681_506618910_3-Wall-Raising-and-

• Like 3

Or you could just use broken glass.  That's a classy look, if there were ever one.

ThomsonJr

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   i dont have a hit man or a guard or a lock for the gate  should i be scared ??attachicon.gif1074557_4392824917575_2082959276_o.jpg

Smokey, why did you post this pic? I don't know you, but I know the couple in the picture and her cousin. coincidence?

Edited by ThomsonJr

All big cities have crime and it is recommended to stay out of the high crime areas in the Philippines like any country. How ever you could live your whole life in the Philippines and never experience manor crime. I have lived in or been traveling to the Philippines since 1985 and have never had serious crimes happen to me but people I know have. Mostly because they are where they should not be or flaunt their money. Just my opinion.

I understand whay some run into problems here....
Some of the "goooood" advices:
Avoid eye contact, don't look at people.
Don't go outside your subdivision, take taxi if you must, but check the car and taxi driver carefully.
Don't talk with locals!
Don't trust anyone.
Dress up like a tramp.
Don't go out after 6 pm
Keep out of areas that are typical "Filipino"
(Those who follow all these advices will get major problems in the real Philippines.)
In other words, stay away from the Philippines, don't leave your country or your house there.

If you want to have a good life here then:
Smile and talk to people.
Be interested in your environment and the people.
Learn a little of the local language.
Be nice.
Don't drink too much (a beer or two a day maximum) this applies to all countries and peoples of the world.
Learn the laws and regulations.
Never pay bribes
Get many friends among the locals.
When it comes to safety, be careful and avoid arguing here as in all other countries

• Like 3

we dont mess with people and mind our own business and they leave us alone....

I agree completely. I lived in an area outside of downtown Cebu City and had to walk many blocks through squatter areas to get to the duplex I was renting. I did not have big gates with barbed wire, I did not have armed guards near where I lived, I did not have a personal driver/bodyguard/hitman on my payroll. Just myself, and I never had any problems. And yes, I spent a few nights at Mango, and again no problems, except getting hit on by ladyboys all night long. I used to go near Mango every day because there was a MMA/Muay Thai/Martial place I trained at with some locals. No problems except being annoyed by guys trying to sell me Viagara all the time. 

Never had anything stolen, never felt threatened, and honestly, the most annoying thing was all the beggars and my neighbors cranking the karaoke at 6 in the morning...lol. I found that if I was polite and respectful to the people, they treated me the same. Many of the most friendly people were the squatters I had to walk by every day. They would always smile, invite me to sit under their tin front roof for a drink, and never asked me for money. There were a few of the local boys and girls that I would give change to if I had a couple of pesos in my pocket. But not always, so they did not establish a routine for handouts. 

I think as many posters have said, just know your area, don't look and act like a target, don't be an obnoxious twit....and just treat people with the same respect you would want. I lived there for over 6 months and I had a very enjoyable experience over all. I know that some of the other expats I met in the city said that I had it easy, because I am about 6 ' 2",  pretty young and in very good physical shape. I don't think that is necessarily the case, again, I think being aware of your environment, and not acting/looking like a target...and you you will be pretty safe, regardless of whether you are in the PI, the USA, or most other countries. CAVEAT: exclude most of the middle east and the northern parts of Africa from what I just said. 

• Like 2
smokey

Smokey, why did you post this pic? I don't know you, but I know the couple in the picture and her cousin. coincidence?

its my house .........not really she calls me tito bob    she lived with us for a few years     notice the lack of wire or gun placements at the house the gate is only 5 feet tall so i guess that keeps out small children 

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
Skywalker

The lessons are clear - it's absolutely lethal here.

Death hangs around every corner.

Stay in your own home Countries and watch the crime rates rise there as well.   :paul:

• Like 1
smokey

Stay in your own home Countries and watch the crime rates rise there as well.   :paul:

or live in a condo up about 20 floors and keep a fire lit just in case...

• Like 2
easy44

NCR consists of several large cities… When you live here, you do not need to go to the cities of Manila, Malate and the surrounding areas… ever…

In about 4 years here, I have been to the city of Manila once... There's just no reason to go there during the ordinary course of living here...

Just like I don’t need to go to Downtown Detroit (unless you have business with GM), Hamtramck, Highland Park or lower than the 8 Mile Road in the Greater Detroit area…

Say it's not true.  I used to live at 5 Mile and Schaefer.

JamesMusslewhite

I posted this in another thread but It is worth a read

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/LH17Ae01.html

this was an article written three years ago but it is relevant to this thread.

I never used to worry about living in compounds or guarded area's here but since living in the boondocks( thought I would try it out) and other parts of this country the well  off philippino's know what they are doing.

Why else if they have money do they live in guarded community's have driver/hitman as their employees and have more barbwire and razor wire over their gates and walls then some prisons i have seen in the 90s.

Perhaps it is because of how they made that money to afford to live there. Perhaps it is to protect them from the people and families of those they screwed and dicked-over getting there. I guess it is the same reason must of the affluent neighborhoods in the US have private police departments, high security systems, wall vaults, safe rooms, firearms, and even on property security personal. The attention of a small area full of high profile targets displaying the obvious illusion of great wealth just for the taking tends to attract the evil intentions of some of the "have nots".

As I was told as a child, "Padlocks are only meant to keep honest people honest."

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
Kabisay-an gid

Stay in your own home Countries and watch the crime rates rise there as well.  

AF4_certified_drama_queen.jpg                  :rofl:

• Like 1
ThomsonJr

Of course, you most likely have passive income, that's not the same, but if you start doing serious business in the Philippines and have some issues with the wrong people, which in some cases is inevitable, or if you don't want to lose face thus make another person lose face, well that's enough to get you shot.

my friend was making 36 Million pesos per year and was on his way to double that, but he got shot 2 times in the head.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

i was there in Cebu in July and August- I rode Jeeps  i frequently went to Colon  - i frequently went to the Carbon market - i went up and down and back and forth while she is at her work.   I never felt threatened in anyway  - But i didnt hang out in bars at night or walk up dark alleys at 2 am, or hang out with Shabu types.

I've road jeeps down to Colon / Carbon etc myself without problems. But I think it is worth mentioning that everyone (Filipino) that I know who has been robbed/mugged has had it happen on a jeep, getting off a jeep or on a bus / V-Hire.