How dangerous is living in the Philippines?

Scruffydog

Davehud you took the words out of my keyboard!

Try drinking at night on the streets in an unsafe neighborhood and the Philippines is not a safe place.

Spend your time in better places with better people and it is very safe.

The two determining factors are situational awareness and the company you keep.

I live in Macon, Ga. Same thing very dangerous place if you go to certian parts  etc.Crime is high as a whole. But we avoid the hood,and businesses near the hood.

I guess you have to know,plus I never leave home unarmed, usually.

Funny thing. There is a  strip of hotels in the worst part of town, but next to  the interstate.decent chain hotels with good ratings .  Odd thing is I would not dare walk around at night out there. poor travelers don't know.. I guess when you are out of town  you don't know.

I was coming from the fairgrounds the other night. I stopped at the red light at MLK. It was a bad part of town, and I was  off guard and had  my window down, before I knew it a  high profile potential perp approached my  window. I calmly stuck a Glock27 in his face and he retreated, with a WTH look. I felt bad for doing it but you can't ever take  chances.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThomsonJr

• smokey

• JamesMusslewhite

• Kabisay-an gid

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so let me get this straight ... 51 year old foreigner MARRIED is with is 19 year old mistress and both are shot.... hummmmmmmm If it was a robbery usually they just shot the foreigner due to the fact

I live where there are limited resources for entertainment. Dream satellite is pretty limited. My Internet connection is very slow so I can't download movies. No theaters or malls near my home. Yo

As safe or as dangerous as you want to make it.

Posted Images

goggleye

i was there in Cebu in July and August- I rode Jeeps  i frequently went to Colon  - i frequently went to the Carbon market - i went up and down and back and forth while she is at her work.   I never felt threatened in anyway  - But i didnt hang out in bars at night or walk up dark alleys at 2 am, or hang out with Shabu types.

• Like 1
batman2525

Check the trunk of every taxi before you get into it

Why ?

mactanfamily

I stopped at the red light at MLK. It was a bad part of town

That matches up in just about every city in the US I reckon.

For non Americans, MLK is Dr. Maritn Luther King Blvd. An assasinated civil rights activist.

spritsail

I suppose if you divide the Philippines as a whole into Go and No Go areas then you will probably find that there is only about a third that a foreigner can live/visit.

Mindinao and the AMR (muslim areas) of Sulu and Tawi are deeemed dangerous by the British and Amerian Governments.

Palawan, in the south including the Balabac islands which is adminstered by tawi Tawi are considered dangerous owing to smuggling activities. For the greater part of Palawan most of it is inaccessible unless you have a liveaboard boat or dont mind hiking through jungle and across mountains.

Greater parts of Luzon especially ( Isabella and Cagayan provinces ) are considered dangerous owing to the presence of estimated 3000 NPA fighters.

parts of Visayas such as Samar, Bicol, Sorgonson, Cataduanes Island also have NPA concentrations. Although not known for attacking foreigners they do interrupt services and cause police check points. I got stuck in Cataduanes for a week during military operations against a group of NPA fighters. Also many of these areas suffer from typhoon damage, like landslides and broken roads.

So , all in all, as a foreigner, you will probably end up living in NCR, SAn Ferninando ( La Union), Angeles, Cebu, Negros, Panay, Bohol or Camiguin.

• Like 2
tokyoman

The Philippines is a dangerous place if you marry the WRONG woman

Ask James

Edited by tokyoman
  • Like 3
smokey

i was there in Cebu in July and August- I rode Jeeps  i frequently went to Colon  - i frequently went to the Carbon market - i went up and down and back and forth while she is at her work.   I never felt threatened in anyway  - But i didnt hang out in bars at night or walk up dark alleys at 2 am, or hang out with Shabu types.

how long is a piece of string??   I am white guy who LIVED in Compton california with my black girl friend for over 1 year and i am still alive so does that mean compton which is 97% black is a safe town for white boys or i was just lucky and it was not my time 

Edited by smokey
  • Like 2
Kabisay-an gid

parts of Visayas such as Samar, Bicol, Sorgonson, Cataduanes Island also have NPA concentrations.

Sorsogon and Catanduanes Island are both in the Bicol Region. The Bicol Region is part of Luzon, not the Visayas.

Cheers!

SomeRandomGuy

I posted this in another thread but It is worth a read

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/LH17Ae01.html

this was an article written three years ago but it is relevant to this thread.

I never used to worry about living in compounds or guarded area's here but since living in the boondocks( thought I would try it out) and other parts of this country the well  off philippino's know what they are doing.

Why else if they have money do they live in guarded community's have driver/hitman as their employees and have more barbwire and razor wire over their gates and walls then some prisons i have seen in the 90s.

• Like 1
voirdire

It's really safe when you live in a guarded executive subdivision with dedicated guards for every street and don't go out at night after 8pm nor to ghetto/squatters areas ever! If someone bumps your car, drive off, don't wait for them to come out and hold you up! Check the trunk of every taxi before you get into it.

99% of this country is a shit hole with pockets of livable space surrounded by armed guards to keep the shit stains out.

This country needs a population reduction by 90%.

Interesting percentages.  

smokey

I posted this in another thread but It is worth a read

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/LH17Ae01.html

this was an article written three years ago but it is relevant to this thread.

I never used to worry about living in compounds or guarded area's here but since living in the boondocks( thought I would try it out) and other parts of this country the well  off philippino's know what they are doing.

Why else if they have money do they live in guarded community's have driver/hitman as their employees and have more barbwire and razor wire over their gates and walls then some prisons i have seen in the 90s.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   i dont have a hit man or a guard or a lock for the gate  should i be scared ??post-35-0-95561400-1377481926_thumb.jpg

Edited by smokey
ThomsonJr

A friend of mine got killed in the Philippines this year, case is still unsolved and it seems like they aren't going to solve it.

Filipinos are friendly but if you deal with the wrong people and if you don't let them shit on your head then it will be finished for you.

Edited by ThomsonJr
  • Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   i dont have a hit man or a guard or a lock for the gate  should i be scared ??

neither  do I smokey     I don't have anything like that but I am not overly worried as I stay away from situations that could put me in trouble.

I lived in mabolo for ages and watched that area turn to shit in a very short time and just got sick of cebu and its crime and pollution.

These days I am living in duma which is a bit more laid back. No guards no locks no car even.

But I also am quiet young and fit and look like I would be trouble to deal with.

But older people with limited income that move here to retire need to realise these things that are on these threads and take precautions 

• Like 1
smokey

we dont mess with people and mind our own business and they leave us alone....

• Like 2
JasonEcos

There are predators, and there are prey. If you act like prey, you will be preyed upon...anywhere in the world. If you try to act like the alpha male, someone will knock you down at some point. This is true around the world.

With most cases of violence I read about it could have been avoided. Avoid bad neighborhoods/people. Don't try to impress people with how tough you are. Don't flash your wealth. Be aware of your surroundings. Don't step on other peoples toes. Don't sleep with other peoples girls. Don't get drunk and act like an ass.The list goes on.

I met one foreigner that stayed near me for 4months(last I knew). He had his wallet taken 4 times and his wifes purse snatched in front of him. I live in the same area for 4yrs and haven't lost anything other than a few pesos in Colon. Whats the difference? He doesn't pay attention to people around him. He pulls out his wallet to pay for fare and flashes his wad of 1k bills, etc. Hes basically screaming "rob me, rob me!"

As for the Philippines specifically.... I feel a lot safer here than I do in Detroit and Flint, but not as safe as living in the countryside in the US. In short how safe it is depends on who you are and what you are comparing it to.

• Like 1