How dangerous is living in the Philippines?

mikewright

A recent post suggested that violent crime against foreigners was on the rise, murders were up 8 times more than they were in 2011, and violent gangs had been targeting foreigners in both Manila and Cebu and all around the Philippines for some time.

How dangerous is it really for a foreigner living in the Philippines?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThomsonJr

• smokey

• JamesMusslewhite

• Kabisay-an gid

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so let me get this straight ... 51 year old foreigner MARRIED is with is 19 year old mistress and both are shot.... hummmmmmmm If it was a robbery usually they just shot the foreigner due to the fact

I live where there are limited resources for entertainment. Dream satellite is pretty limited. My Internet connection is very slow so I can't download movies. No theaters or malls near my home. Yo

As safe or as dangerous as you want to make it.

Posted Images

Alan S

I've been visiting the Philippines since the late-80's, including living there for a couple of years.

Although I am NOT there now (so treat this post with caution re current events), nothing I have read makes me think it any less safe now than in the past.

One does need to take care, have reasonable "situational awareness" (as the modern jargon goes), and mind who you mix with.

One thing is obvious and that is that crimes are much more frequently reported now, and that may make them appear more common.

But, that seems to be the same in many /most areas of the world.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

According to some members Mindanao is super scary God awful dangerous, because they will shot you, bomb you, cook you, and eat you....

So please stay away!!!

• Like 3
USMC-Retired

Violent crime is up in recent years. Population continues out of control and jobs are not increasing. Salaries have remained constant though cost of living rises. So it has changed, however back to this; How safe is the Philippines some areas are Mayberry and others are a war zone. Then for the majority of Cebu City its like any major US city. Act a fool in an area you do not belong in, well expect the worse. I do not hang out in Ghettos nor frequent them for shopping. I also have that theory here stay away from areas of know criminal activity. Also I never ever traveled alone when I went out. So if you are familar with Big City USA there you have Cebu and Manila. Manila has some really bad areas 12 Million people live in NCR.

Violent crime is up in recent years. Population continues out of control and jobs are not increasing. Salaries have remained constant though cost of living rises. So it has changed, however back to this; How safe is the Philippines some areas are Mayberry and others are a war zone. Then for the majority of Cebu City its like any major US city. Act a fool in an area you do not belong in, well expect the worse. I do not hang out in Ghettos nor frequent them for shopping. I also have that theory here stay away from areas of know criminal activity. Also I never ever traveled alone when I went out. So if you are familar with Big City USA there you have Cebu and Manila. Manila has some really bad areas 12 Million people live in NCR.

• Like 1
spooks

I had more to worry about in London and some parts of Perth  WA than anyting In Mindanao or Manila.  

Then again I have no stats to back that up either.

Philippines is a third world country trying hard to justify developing nation status, growing pains

:noevil:

• Like 3

Most of the foreigners in Manila that I know personally who have been victims of crime are pickpocket victims, cellphone snatching, or lost their bag when they're not looking.  Nothing violent.  You just have to be vigilant.

Davehud you took the words out of my keyboard!

Try drinking at night on the streets in an unsafe neighborhood and the Philippines is not a safe place.

Spend your time in better places with better people and it is very safe.

The two determining factors are situational awareness and the company you keep.

• Like 3
SomeRandomGuy

I am not sure if it is reported more and that it is growing more   on numbeo site many believe that crime has risen by 50% in the last year here in the phils.

Violent crime is a known fact here and we all know this hell even most countries post warning about it on their travel sites.

More disturbing here is actually there is often little to no justice for the victims.

With the population booming no jobs to fill them and a rising inflation it is no wonder that crime is on the rise and it is known that their are gangs and certain individuals that have and do target foreigners for quick targets and easy money and have done in the past on many occasions.

Not sure if their are more foreigners living here now then there was 5 years ago   but there are plenty more tourists.

I know some guys here that point out that it always seems to be people that have businesses here that seem to get targeted    not sure if that is a jealousy thing or just one of those things as people that have businesses are often more routine then those that are not.

I think the problem really is a lot of new people here and a few idiots forget that even though it is great here not every where is safe and that people do have to watch where they are and what people they are around

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
  • Like 1
miles-high

NCR consists of several large cities… When you live here, you do not need to go to the cities of Manila, Malate and the surrounding areas… ever…

In about 4 years here, I have been to the city of Manila once... There's just no reason to go there during the ordinary course of living here...

Just like I don’t need to go to Downtown Detroit (unless you have business with GM), Hamtramck, Highland Park or lower than the 8 Mile Road in the Greater Detroit area…

smokey

its the safest place in the world till its your turn to become the news and that goes for anywhere 

• Like 2
the boss

Well if your only measure on dangerous is crime. then yes it is a little more dangerous than the US. I use the US as that's where I live. And some places are much worse than others, just a feeling but I would say your chances are worse in a Quezon City slums than Watts.

Now if you want to figure in safety of transportation, Fire safety, medical care, and tell where in the US can you walk down a side walk and fall into a hole full of sewage? Well you can in the PI. And there are diseases that are common in the PI but rare in the US. Over all I don't fear it, but a lot is dependent on your life style and activity. 

Crime is a reality here. Those armed guards every where do serve a purpose.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I have never had any crime committed on me (except for petty theft by domestic employees and government officials) in the Philippines. Oh there was this time a foreigner tried to assault me. So take the foreigners, government officials and dirt poor maids out of the equation and I would have been crime free to date. 

• Like 1
senseless

It's really safe when you live in a guarded executive subdivision with dedicated guards for every street and don't go out at night after 8pm nor to ghetto/squatters areas ever! If someone bumps your car, drive off, don't wait for them to come out and hold you up! Check the trunk of every taxi before you get into it.

99% of this country is a shit hole with pockets of livable space surrounded by armed guards to keep the shit stains out.

This country needs a population reduction by 90%.

Edited by senseless
mactanfamily

Your biggest danger in Cebu is getting run over or having a motorbike crash.  Owning a business here or drinking heavily will definitely increase your chance of violence.

I do believe crime has gotten worse. The growing economy and booming middle class only widens the gap between the haves and the have nots. Coupled with the population growing WAY to fast for sustainability and the migration from province to the city only worsens the whole problem.

On top of that, I have seen a steady decline in "plain old respect" for expats. You would not have seen a 90 year old man beaten on Mango 15 years ago when I moved there. No way. 

Part of it I think comes from the media's poor portrayal of expats. When have you last read about the good we do for the country and the people? 

• Like 1