First Trip to the Philippines

exploringlife2

Hello,

I have been reading on the forum for some time for my research on planning my 1st trip to the Philippines. I want to get a tourist visa at the Cebu Airport when I arrive in the Philippine. My total stay will be approximately Oct 25th, 2013 to March 17th, 2014. So these will be the dates on my airline paperwork. My understanding is I can get a 59 1/2 day Tourist Visa with my US Passport and return flight back home paperwork. Then get Visa Extensions as needed. After the first of the year I would like to visit Thailand and return to the Philippines before returning to the USA .

Ok, I am in the country and a my new GF will meet me at the airport. We will stay in Cebu for about 2 weeks the Diplomat being our starting point and exploring for there. Then leaving Cebu To meet Jean's family on the Island of Biliran. The best I can come up with is their home is a 1 1/2 hour bus ride from Naval. So I think I will be staying at Marvin's Seaside for a few days and looking for places closer to where her family lives. She thinks it is to quiet where her family lives and might be best for us in Cebu. She does have a 3 1/2 year old son, who should be with us in time. There is also no problems with her mother taking care of her son if we go to Thailand for a visit.

If the plan for my Visa will work at the airport I think everything else will work itself out. If you see any problem with my plan or know a better way please advise me.

Thank You

post-15088-0-86524100-1377395294_thumb.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• exploringlife2

• hyaku

• Art

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

first off. If you have never met her in real life, then she is not your GF. You don't know her. You know the guy who you have never exchanged a social word with in your entire life, whose name you don

Sir,     Good luck to you and your "soon to be confirmed gf".  Wow you are adventurerous the RP and Thailand!!!..  That is a handful for a new relationship to deal with all those logistics and pitfa

A roundtrip ticket negates the need for that.

Posted Images

USMC-Retired

Welcome to the forums and enjoy your time. Relax kick back and have fun..

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Sounds like a plan. Just make sure she has a passport and everything in order for your trip to Thailand. After returning from Thailand you will get the free 30 days all over again. Your return ticket to the states will be required to be shown to the airlines upon your return to the Philippines from Thailand.

Some times, depending on what time you arrive, you might not be able to pay for the waver to 59 days at the airport. No problem though as you can get it anytime before your 30 days expire at a local immigration office.

• Like 1

Why not get your 59 day visa before you leave your country it then gives you two months to enjoy your trip before you need to extend.  I always get my 59day visa in my country before I fly out.  You never know what mishaps may come to stuff up renewing your visa in country the way you think. 

• Like 2

OP, you'll need a "throwaway" ticket.  This is a ticket that you present to either the airline (before you set foot in the Philippines) or immigration (once you arrive) to show you have plans to leave the Philippines.  It's called a throwaway because you don't actually use it.  Yes, it's a waste of money, but I got one for about US$50 so they are not expensive.  There are countless threads on LinC, just do a search for throwaway.

I got one from Zest Air, you may find other airlines cheaper.

PS: make sure it is printed, rather than an email or text message. 

Edit: I see the OP has a return ticket after about 6 months.  Is that doable in terms of the delay?  

Edited by BobX
Headshot

OP, you'll need a "throwaway" ticket.  

:banghead:

A roundtrip ticket negates the need for that.

• Like 4
Contango

I would imagine that having the 59 day visa issued before travel is a good idea?

I would imagine that having the 59 day visa issued before travel is a good idea?

I have thought so, every trip I made I have gotten the visa before leaving my country when you are there and have to travel somewhere else to renew it you might wish you had thats just me as I did travel far into the provinces.  There are many who go there and then apply for an extension maybe because its just as difficult to apply in their home country.   YMMV. 

exploringlife2

Thank You for the help. The reason I do not get a visa in the USA is I don't like sending my Passport through the USA mail. Last year I did this for my Thailand Visa. I sent my passport and paperwork 3wks before my trip to the Thai Consulate in LA. I used regular Priority Mail. It took over a week in the US Mail to get from LA to Boise, Idaho. On my receipt it showed date mailed from Thai Consulate. So I ended up not having my passport the date I was to leave for Thailand, then having to change my airline tickets and losing my hotel room. It was not a cheap education.

udonthani

first off. If you have never met her in real life, then she is not your GF. You don't know her. You know the guy who you have never exchanged a social word with in your entire life, whose name you don't know but who serves you in your local convenience store in Boise much better than you know her. You don't even know, for sure, if she is a boy or a girl. You don't know, if she is married, or single. You don't know, if the child she says is hers actually is hers, or even if it is, that she hasn't got more and she has others she has not told you about. You will only start to get to know her, in real life when you have met her in real life. The way things are now, if you have not met her, you don't know her at all. The guy in the convenience store in Boise knows you much better than this Filipino girl does. He might not know your name, but he knows the way you walk and the way you talk. He knows what kind of clothes you wear, day in day out. He knows what things you like, from the things you buy, what you like/dislike. She knows none of that. That's because the guy in the Boise convenience store knows you better than she does. He's met you. She hasn't.

whatever you do, do not get the tickets for Thailand for you and she before you leave the states and before you are sure that you like her. I hope not, and it is rather unlikely, but you might meet her and she could turn out to be a big disappointment.

1.5 hours from Naval? That means that her family are not on Biliran island at all, but somewhere in northern Leyte.

actually when I was on Biliran I dated a couple of Date in Asia girls who said on their profiles they were from Biliran. That was why I initially messaged them because I knew I was going to be on Biliran. But when I met them, it turned out that they both came from small towns in northern Leyte, and not Biliran island. They were both however ready to get on a bus and meet me in Naval.

if you want to know where she is actually from, because of course she could be from anywhere for all you know, ask her the name of her barangay. As long as she spells it right, you can google it.

her picture does not seem to me to be taken anywhere on Biliran. There are no white sand beaches that look anything like that on the island.

I am not trying to give you a downer here, with any of the above. I wish you all the luck in the world with this. I just want you to be aware, that the thing you can absolutely 100% sure, will not go the exact same way that you think it will, is the plan.

one particular logistical thing to consider is that you get 30 days on arrival in the Philippines now, not the 21 you got previously, so that, with your first 38 day extension brings you from October 25 to January 1. So if you are planning on going to Thai shortly after New Year 2014, you will have to shell out 7000 pesos (about $170) for an extension you will only use a few days of. So perhaps consider going to Thai earlier like about 10 December to come back 30 days later, this would also enable you to beat the Christmas rush and price hikes.

• Like 8
RPretire

Sir,

Good luck to you and your "soon to be confirmed gf".  Wow you are adventurerous the RP and Thailand!!!..  That is a handful for a new relationship to deal with all those logistics and pitfalls.  If you have not yet spent the dollars for Thailand might I suggest just spend all your time in the RP, nice and slow pace and lower stressors.  Below is what you need to do while there in the RP:

She has one child will require some extra detective work on your part?  Was she "ever married"?  Together you go get her CENOMAR to confirm!  There is no divorce in the RP just Anullments at the average cost of 200,000 pesos$$$ and could quadruple if they smell KANO-ATM.

Next question is where is the real daddy?  Is he in the same house also known as "my cousin"?  Neighbor? Same town?  Same Island?  A great guy who loves his child or a Meth-Head / Alcoholic who will strike out of jelaousy??

I have been through all of the above (minus the child or anullment parts).  CENOMAR is your #1 Priority!!!  If you get excuses about not getting it then RUN Forrest.  I really wish you the best of luck.  I am now married to my....."GF"...... whom I never meet until I went there and CONFIRMED as much as possible.  REALLY GOOD LUCK TOO YOU :)

Edited by RPretire?
  • Like 6

Sir,

Good luck to you and your "soon to be confirmed gf".  Wow you are adventurerous the RP and Thailand!!!..  That is a handful for a new relationship to deal with all those logistics and pitfalls.  If you have not yet spent the dollars for Thailand might I suggest just spend all your time in the RP, nice and slow pace and lower stressors. 

Coincidentally, my fiancée and I went from Cebu to Thailand in April. Granted it was not our first meeting but still the relationship was not that old. As long as she has a passport, the logistics are easy. Yes she will need to pay the fee to leave the Philippines, unless it was covered in the airline ticket.

Have fun in Thailand, ride the elephants if you head to Chiang Mai! Good luck!

Mr.Whippy might sound like he is coming on intensely but in reality he is correct and may be doing you a big favor.I do hope all goes the way you imagine-but it won't.

first off. If you have never met her in real life, then she is not your GF. You don't know her. You know the guy who you have never exchanged a social word with in your entire life, whose name you don't know but who serves you in your local convenience store in Boise much better than you know her. You don't even know, for sure, if she is a boy or a girl. You don't know, if she is married, or single. You don't know, if the child she says is hers actually is hers, or even if it is, that she hasn't got more and she has others she has not told you about. You will only start to get to know her, in real life when you have met her in real life. The way things are now, if you have not met her, you don't know her at all. The guy in the convenience store in Boise knows you much better than this Filipino girl does. He might not know your name, but he knows the way you walk and the way you talk. He knows what kind of clothes you wear, day in day out. He knows what things you like, from the things you buy, what you like/dislike. She knows none of that. That's because the guy in the Boise convenience store knows you better than she does. He's met you. She hasn't.

whatever you do, do not get the tickets for Thailand for you and she before you leave the states and before you are sure that you like her. I hope not, and it is rather unlikely, but you might meet her and she could turn out to be a big disappointment.

1.5 hours from Naval? That means that her family are not on Biliran island at all, but somewhere in northern Leyte.

actually when I was on Biliran I dated a couple of Date in Asia girls who said on their profiles they were from Biliran. That was why I initially messaged them because I knew I was going to be on Biliran. But when I met them, it turned out that they both came from small towns in northern Leyte, and not Biliran island. They were both however ready to get on a bus and meet me in Naval.

if you want to know where she is actually from, because of course she could be from anywhere for all you know, ask her the name of her barangay. As long as she spells it right, you can google it.

her picture does not seem to me to be taken anywhere on Biliran. There are no white sand beaches that look anything like that on the island.

I am not trying to give you a downer here, with any of the above. I wish you all the luck in the world with this. I just want you to be aware, that the thing you can absolutely 100% sure, will not go the exact same way that you think it will, is the plan.

one particular logistical thing to consider is that you get 30 days on arrival in the Philippines now, not the 21 you got previously, so that, with your first 38 day extension brings you from October 25 to January 1. So if you are planning on going to Thai shortly after New Year 2014, you will have to shell out 7000 pesos (about $170) for an extension you will only use a few days of. So perhaps consider going to Thai earlier like about 10 December to come back 30 days later, this would also enable you to beat the Christmas rush and price hikes.

• Like 1
udonthani

I have never brought a Filipina to Thailand but I did bring a couple of Malaysian girls. One of them was quite highly educated. She had a job as head of marketing for SR toothpaste, in Kuala Lumpur. She had actually been to Thailand before. She had been already, to Phuket.

I wasn't having any of that. We went to Kanchanaburi, briefly, and then Sangklaburi for the 10 days she had of leave. She loved it and said she had not realised quite how wonderful Thailand actually was the previous time.