Trip to Duma...?

ILoveCyrus

Friends, what is the easiest way to travel to Duma from Cebu/Mactan..?

I need to see a friend there and I have never been.

Please advise shortest, safest, cheapest, most pleasant trip.....!!!  I appreciate it.

shadow

Friends, what is the easiest way to travel to Duma from Cebu/Mactan..?

I need to see a friend there and I have never been.

Please advise shortest, safest, cheapest, most pleasant trip.....!!!  I appreciate it.

Shortest? Fly. Really not much shorter though, when you figure airport waiting time. Cost P1000+, much more if you don't book 3 days in advance.

Cheapest? (and probably most pleasant) From the Cebu south bus terminal, take the Ceres AC bus to Lilo-an, take the fast craft across, and then jeepney into Duma. Total travel time about 4.5 hours, total cost about P240.

Alternative, and easier, get on the bus bound for Dumaguete, total travel time around 5.5 hours, cost around P280.

Also fast craft, Oceanjet, travel time 4-5 hours, cost about P900.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1
Davezilla

Shortest  safest would be fly down 

Cheapest would be a bus from south bus terminal  ask for the direct to Duma   (the bus takes the ferry)

Most pleasant for me would be the fast craft  may even be faster than the plane depending on where you live 

• Like 1
KennyF

And make sure you take your SO to shop at Tops 'n' Bottoms.

She'll love it.

So will you probably.

KonC

• Like 1
Knowdafish

Cheapest? (and probably most pleasant) From the Cebu south bus terminal, take the Ceres AC bus to Lilo-an, take the fast craft across, and then jeepney into Duma. Total travel time about 4.5 hours, total cost about P240.

This would qualify as "most pleasant" ONLY if you do not get a driver who thinks he is qualifying for the Indianapolis 500. 

In my experience you may have a lot of trouble finding a Ceres (or other) bus driver who does not fit this category. 

ILoveCyrus

This would qualify as "most pleasant" ONLY if you do not get a driver who thinks he is qualifying for the Indianapolis 500. 

In my experience you may have a lot of trouble finding a Ceres (or other) bus driver who does not fit this category. 

Terrible bus crashes happen due to bus drivers "racing" to destination.  Classic "time is money" action.

shadow

Over the last year or so, we have found too many drivers that drove much too SLOW for our liking. The wife now prefers the non AC bus because they go faster. There is no reason it should take 4 hours to get from Cebu to Lilo-an when there is not heavy traffic. The Dumaguete bus is so slow we have gotten off of it, had a coke in Argao, caught the next bus, and still beat it.

• Like 1
Knowdafish

Over the last year or so, we have found too many drivers that drove much too SLOW for our liking. The wife now prefers the non AC bus because they go faster. There is no reason it should take 4 hours to get from Cebu to Lilo-an when there is not heavy traffic. The Dumaguete bus is so slow we have gotten off of it, had a coke in Argao, caught the next bus, and still beat it.

I haven't gone to Cebu for over a year, so maybe they have forced them to slow down due to safety concerns, at least one can only hope. 

We had an extremely good one going the last time we went to Cebu, and the worst possible one coming back. So bad that my wife barfed. If you didn't hold onto something you would slide out of your seat. I cringed so many times at the near misses my neck and jaw were all tensed up after we got off the bus. 

The 1st driver I wanted to shake his hand and give him a tip, but he disappeared too fast off the bus once we got to the terminal. I think he might have needed to make a quick personal "pit-stop". He drove extremely smooth, and still made good time. He also did not take idiotic risks when passing. 

The 2nd one I would have liked to beat him to a pulp and rung his stupid little neck, but then I remembered this is the Philippines....

Edited by Knowdafish
  • Like 1
shadow

I haven't gone to Cebu for over a year, so maybe they have forced them to slow down due to safety concerns, at least one can only hope. 

We had an extremely good one going the last time we went to Cebu, and the worst possible one coming back. So bad that my wife barfed. If you didn't hold onto something you would slide out of your seat. I cringed so many times at the near misses my neck and jaw were all tensed up after we got off the bus. 

The 1st driver I wanted to shake his hand and give him a tip, but he disappeared too fast off the bus to fast once we got to the terminal. I think he might have needed to make a quick personal "pit-stop". 

The 2nd one I would have liked to beat him to a pulp and rung his stupid little neck, but then I remembered this is the Philippines....

All Ceres AC drivers are now on salary, no more commission (less racing).

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

When I drive it usually takes me 3 hours and 15 minutes to get to or from Liloan and no bus ever passes me. Seems every-time I make good time, I just have to wait longer for the ferry. Took the bus all the way to Dumaguete once. Left late morning after rush hour was over. Made great time and pulled on ferry as soon as we arrived. Was home at house in Dumaguete in less than 5 hours. Might have been faster but a woman shit in her seat and they had to pull over and air out the bus for at least 20 minutes. The strange part was that the woman didn't even fess up till the conductor started walking the isle looking for the source.

shadow

When I drive it usually takes me 3 hours and 15 minutes to get to or from Liloan and no bus ever passes me. Seems every-time I make good time, I just have to wait longer for the ferry. Took the bus all the way to Dumaguete once. Left late morning after rush hour was over. Made great time and pulled on ferry as soon as we arrived. Was home at house in Dumaguete in less than 5 hours. Might have been faster but a woman shit in her seat and they had to pull over and air out the bus for at least 20 minutes. The strange part was that the woman didn't even fess up till the conductor started walking the isle looking for the source.

That's pretty close to average AC bus time. We leave Duma on a pedicab and time it to catch the fast craft, we are almost always at the bus terminal in Cebu 4 hours from the time we leave downtown Duma. Coming back usually takes longer, for whatever reason, even if we hit the boat just right. Some drivers though, take 3.5 hours or more Cebu/Lilo-an. Those I hate because anything over about two hours is agony on my back. Lately we stop for a break in Argao, makes it much more bearable.